Steering Rack Pre-Purchase check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read lots of steering rack threads but please let me know if I missed this. Basically I'm seeing a lot of 100 series with pretty bad steering racks judging by the boots. The last couple seemed highly unlikely to have been leaking from above.

Is there a way to check that's realistic in someone's driveway to make sure there's not an issue even if no fluid is visible? It could easily just be cleaned up prior to me seeing it. My first thought would to be slide to boot back but I could see an owner not wanting that done since it could be damaged in the process. Any advice is welcome.

I've read lots of steering rack threads but please let me know if I missed this. Basically I'm seeing a lot of 100 series with pretty bad steering racks judging by the boots. The last couple seemed highly unlikely to have been leaking from above.

Is there a way to check that's realistic in someone's driveway to make sure there's not an issue even if no fluid is visible? It could easily just be cleaned up prior to me seeing it. My first thought would to be slide to boot back but I could see an owner not wanting that done since it could be damaged in the process. Any advice is welcome.

Check the reservoir, the pump, the boots, and check play in the bushings and tie rods by turning back and forth with a phone or another person watching of the rack or tie rods move before the tires do 👍

Check the reservoir, the pump, the boots, and check play in the bushings and tie rods by turning back and forth with a phone or another person watching of the rack or tie rods move before the tires do 👍
Thanks. That's great advice. If the rack is leaking slowly, is there any real damage being done as long as the fluid stays at the right level? Basically can I delay replacing the entire rack a bit without wrecking something else.

Thanks. That's great advice. If the rack is leaking slowly, is there any real damage being done as long as the fluid stays at the right level? Basically can I delay replacing the entire rack a bit without wrecking something else.
A lot of them weep for a long time. I used AT-205 which slowed mine to a weep for 50k miles, until I changed the rack because the bushings were shot.

In my opinion, you’re being a little pendantic on a 16-25 year old vehicle, as a lot of them “weep”, but what do I know…

AT-205 as mentioned will slow it down and you're correct that with the reservoir kept full it will be OK

Thanks all. Would a failing steering rack cause alignment issues that couldn't be fixed without replacing the rack? I'm curious if it could damage the VGRS because I'm a bit unsure about that technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom