Steering rack boots/synthetic ATF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My steering rack boots have the small fluid stains on them, as if there is fluid in them, but no signs of external leaks. I am going to be swapping out my old ps fluid, and not sure if it was changed before me. I will be using M1 synthetic ATF. Do I have to worry about the fresh fluid causing or making any leaks worse?

First the old myth of switching to full synthetic causing leaks is wrong.
Second, for small leaks use Valvoline MaxLife, it is full synthetic and it has seal conditioners to stop/prevent leaks.

I had a leak in July, did a fluid swap (M1 ATF) and put some AT-205 in, my leak is gone (for now), recommended by a few others on the forum.

at-205_1.jpg

At-205 is a Plasticizer that used in the manufacturing of seals. It leaches out over time, then seals shrink and harden. Adding it back in at a very specific rate can restore seals. It's only used once every 10 years IIRC.

Oils labeled High Mileage (HM) have petroleum based seal modifiers. These modifiers will swell the seals, and over time degrade them. Mobil tech supported stated: "use M1 HM for two oil changes, and must use for life". That is the same with most if not all HM oils. That kind like crack isn't:confused:

At-205 is a Plasticizer that used in the manufacturing of seals. It leaches out over time, then seals shrink and harden. Adding it back in at a very specific rate can restore seals. It's only used once every 10 years IIRC.

Oils labeled High Mileage (HM) have petroleum based seal modifiers. These modifiers will swell the seals, and over time degrade them. Mobil tech supported stated: "use M1 HM for two oil changes, and must use for life". That is the same with most if not all HM oils. That kind like crack isn't:confused:

I've ran M1 HM for 2 changes now (10k miles), you really don't think I can go to normal M1?

I've ran M1 HM for 2 changes now (10k miles), you really don't think I can go to normal M1?
It was the mud board that first clue me to this. I then spoke to the maker of AT-205 and Mobil One, also did some research online.
HM oil info came to me from reps of the Mobil One support line. Give them a call a see what they say.

It was the mud board that first clue me to this. I then spoke to the maker of AT-205 and Mobil One, also did some research online.
HM oil info came to me from reps of the Mobil One support line. Give them a call a see what they say.

Thanks. Interesting. I'm talking about engine oil, sorry a little off topic. Just not sure I wanted to commit to only the HM version forever.

Thanks. Interesting. I'm talking about engine oil, sorry a little off topic. Just not sure I wanted to commit to only the HM version forever.
Yes engine oil (Mobil 1 HM)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom