...steering loose on a 80 series, what are the most common worn parts ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
I searched , but nothing came up ...steering loose on a 80 series, what are the most common worn parts ? Steering box has already been replaced ! So Tie rod ends ? I assume ? what else ?

Thanks... I'll be at Cruiser brothers for some upgrades this week and will ask for those !

Anything that helps to locate or position the wheels can contribute to a " loose" steering feel. So, yes the rod ends are the next logical items to replace, but there are several other things that can contribute including:
Trunion bearings
Wheel bearings
Control arm bushings
Steering shaft joint at the steering box

I did the wheel bearings already... I'll have Georg at Cruiser brothers check it out ... I'll be there this week and just wanted to get possibilities, so I can ask for extra stuff while I'm there ...

I searched , but nothing came up ...steering loose on a 80 series, what are the most common worn parts ? Steering box has already been replaced ! So Tie rod ends ? I assume ? what else ?
FWIW, I replaced ALL of the suspension bushings under my rig, and she drives like brand new now. Was the best thing I could have done for overall stability/feel. These old girls need us to "get up under their skirts" and replace 20+ year old rubber. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Cheers!

Thank You !

The panhard is a likely source as instead of steering the drag link just pushes the rig side to side when theres slop in the panhard bushings. Any noticeable play will translate to looser steering on the road and a wandering feeling that will tighten up through long curves as the rig loads to one side. The radius arm bushings will not have near the same effect.

I searched , but nothing came up ...steering loose on a 80 series,
I find that hard to believe, as I just did a search for "loose steering" and got 50 pages of threads.

If everything checks OK, then check the area of the frame where the steering box mounts to. There have been some instances where there is cracking in the frame around the mounting location. Would think this would be obvious if the steer box was already replaced, but depending on how well things cleaned up and paid attention to, it is an unexpected issue that could have been overlooked. There are a few threads on fixing the frame, etc, here, too.

I find that hard to believe, as I just did a search for "loose steering" and got 50 pages of threads.
Will someone can't read obviously ... I didn't search on "loose steering"... doh...

I searched :
steering loose on a 80 series, what are the most common worn parts ? And there were NO pages. So before you think your all high a mighty there Jonheld ... try reading what was written !

Last edited:
Will someone can't read obviously ... I didn't search on "loose steering"... doh...

I searched :
steering loose on a 80 series, what are the most common worn parts ? And there were NO pages. So before you think your all high a mighty there Jonheld ... try reading what was written !

Your search-fu sucks. :flipoff2:

Try just a couple of key words. Long phrases don't work well, and select search "this forum"

I searched :

Lol! I searched for "what is the specific reason that my 80 series land cruiser gets such bad fuel mileage" There is totally NOTHING about fuel mileage in this whole entire forum. This forum sucks....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I searched :
Forgive me. I didn't realize you have never searched for anything on the internet before.
Spend some time learning about "key words". You should't use full sentences or punctuation.
Had you used the proper key words in your search term, you would have had all the answers.
A bit of search practice for you will yield a plethora of information and help guide you to the answers, now and in the future.

Last edited:
So before you think your all high a mighty there Jonheld ... try reading what was written !
It's "you're" the contraction of "you are", not the possessive "your".
Just throwing that out there.

FWIW, I replaced ALL of the suspension bushings under my rig, and she drives like brand new now. Was the best thing I could have done for overall stability/feel. These old girls need us to "get up under their skirts" and replace 20+ year old rubber. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Cheers!

Same here. Also did the panhard bushes. Quite shocking the difference it made to to handling of my rig. It's a good place to start. Then follow up with rod ends and anything else that feels worn.

I searched :
Careful bud, he's trying to help you help yourself. You'll alienate yourself on this board pretty quick with talk like that.

Forgive me. I didn't realize you have never searched for anything on the internet before.
Spend some time learning about "key words". You should't use full sentences or punctuation.
Had you used the proper key words in your search term, you would have had all the answers.
A bit of search practice for you will yield a plethora of information and help guide you to the answers, now and in the future.
Careful bud, he's trying to help you help yourself. You'll alienate yourself on this board pretty quick with talk like that.

With the original slant of Jon saying there are 50 pages from what he searched ( but not what I searched) to his now additional slants, I can see he's clearly barking up the wrong tree!

Spike , he absolutely is NOT trying to help! He has done nothing but slam me for performing a search since he chimed in with his bs !

The others in this group helped and I appreciate their help very much! All this other stuff is just nonsense, and perhaps jonheld... is the one who needs help!!!

Wow I had no idea , after being on this forum for a few years, that so many are so sensitive with how people search for stuff! Do these people have nothing else to do but slam people for how they search for stuff ? Are they hiding a deep seeded additional problem within them selves, that they feel they have to attack some one for how they search for things here ? Are they suffering from low self esteem, that they have to act that way on a forum ? Wow maybe they should question why, how I search for something bothers them so much ! All I did was ask a question, and although I had several who truly helped, this other banter serves no purpose. Perhaps look at the Matthew 7:5 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom