Steering Gear Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my 92, where do I check the gear oil level in my steering gear box. The FSM doesnt seem to be clear on this. It does show where you un-screw the center bolt with the spring but not sure if thats the right location to check.

Brian

Power steering.

The fluid level is checked at the power steering pump reservoir.

:beer:

Man, you guys must think I'm a idiot :D I'm not talking about power steering fluid. My manual says to check the gear oil level in the steering box. You know, the one on the end of the steering rod above the axle that connects to the steering linkage.

Brian

You must have an aftermarket service manual. Oil level at the box is only checked when the vehicle is equipped with manual steering.
In the case of a power steering equipped vehicle, the gear box is lubricated by power steering fluid. The "source" is the pump reservoir. ;)

D-

Dan is correct.......almost ;) You add to the resvoiur NO check on the box.

But Cruisers(all with OEM PS) with power steering use ATF......NOT power steering fluid.....which is what I had been using for years in my fj80, if you look at the cap it says ATF.....amazing what happens when you read....... :doh:

John h

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6440;start=msg52081#msg52081 date=1066420053]

You must have an aftermarket service manual. Oil level at the box is only checked when the vehicle is equipped with manual steering.
In the case of a power steering equipped vehicle, the gear box is lubricated by power steering fluid. The "source" is the pump reservoir. ;)

D-
[/quote]

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=6440;start=msg52269#msg52269 date=1066488418]
Dan is correct.......almost ;) You add to the resvoiur NO check on the box.
John h
[/quote]

John, "Oil level at the box is only checked when the vehicle is equipped with manual steering."

What'd I miss :rolleyes:

BTW, the factory fiil fluid in my 80 was not ATF red, it was a honey blonde color. What was it?

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6440;start=msg52309#msg52309 date=1066500283]
John, "Oil level at the box is only checked when the vehicle is equipped with manual steering."

What'd I miss :rolleyes:

BTW, the factory fiil fluid in my 80 was not ATF red, it was a honey blonde color. What was it?
[/quote]

I don't know whats in it from the factory but doesn't it say on the cap to use ATF? only took me 6 years to read the cap on mine....... :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom