Steering gear box rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Purely to satisfy my idle curiosity, why do you need the Toyota part numbers if you have the bearing numbers? Toyota doesn't make bearings, and don't publish any bearing data on the bearings they resell. This particular bearing doesn't see the rotating load that, for example, a wheel bearing would, so the cup that fits that cone would most likely be OK, as long as the bore fit the shaft. The pair will be listed in the NSK catalog.

This is one of the few instances I'd say an interchange list would be sufficient; any bearing distributor can help you with that, if you can't find a copy for yourself. Unlike the wheel bearings, I'd be surprised if NSK designed this bearing for this use. I'd be unsurprised to find that some Toyota engineer picked a size to fit the steering box, and NSK got the nod because they were a preferred supplier.

FWIW, and no, I haven't looked, but any bearing distributor should be able to get any bearing in production, whether they stock them or not. Try Bearings Direct, Motion Industries, 123Bearing, Bearing Distributors, or ask NSK directly to recommend a supplier. Bearing manufacturers are usually some of the more helpful in industry when it comes to finding or recommending their products.

I wasn’t able to easily track down the NSK bearing in stock state side but was able to find it inexpensively at Partsouq. Shipping will be a few bucks if you don’t combine with other things but I was planning an order anyway. Arrived quickly and is an exact match.

Sorry for the late reply.
That is the same bearing I got. However, my box is still not back together as I ended up buying a second 80 Series in better condition.

Either way: I measured every part I took out. That one is 19x35x7.
NSK 1935W05A should fit too.

sorry, n00b questions. the adjusting screw, buy a new or chisel old one out? part number for adjusting screw?

edit: to clarify, I did a 105 shaft upgrade

edit2: found the part number...45357-60030. it was out of stock from amamaya order a couple years ago...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just finished resealing my box using this guide, got to the last step and having trouble with the adjusting screw.

I turn it counter clockwise to pull the cap in until it won’t turn anymore, then install the 4 cap bolts to snug everything down.

My problem is after I do that my adjusting screw won’t turn left or right, with the locknut or without the locknut there’s very little room for any adjustment. Am I missing something here? 1991 box if that matters.

Just finished resealing my box using this guide, got to the last step and having trouble with the adjusting screw.

I turn it counter clockwise to pull the cap in until it won’t turn anymore, then install the 4 cap bolts to snug everything down.

My problem is after I do that my adjusting screw won’t turn left or right, with the locknut or without the locknut there’s very little room for any adjustment. Am I missing something here? 1991 box if that matters.
You probably got the sector shaft in wrong

image.jpg

Where this FOD is coming from? I found it like that when I removed the shaft. Is there a gasket inside that blew off?
I removed the outer ring from the shaft and it seems to have strips of rubber that is acting like seals to separate the pressure when turning left or right. Maybe I’m mistaken, but one thing is for sure is that all the rubber is old and brittle, that’s why I don’t have a clear picture to what it should look like. Has anyone ever seen this before? Any part number for this disintegrated Rubber Thing? Thanks for your help.
IMG_1781.jpeg
IMG_1779.jpeg

Last edited:
This is from the '97 FSM; you can download the copy for your year from the 80 series section of the Resources area of the forum.
1697575916524.png

Sorry, I was in a hurry to get to my truck and didn't look close enough at your photos; I have a front end disassembly in progress. Toyota doesn't consider that serviceable, so it's not in the FSM. :(

SOR has this:
1697584078482.png

Item 35:
1697584155419.png

Item 40:
1697584183915.png

Item 44:
1697584205164.png

Item 56:
1697584239169.png

Last edited:
and Cruiser Outfitters has this:
1697584339322.png

however, I think that's probably just the OEM rebuild kit, which won't have what you're looking for; and generally, steering gearbox rebuild kits....
but no parts help (diagrams, etc), so you'd have to call them. They have lots of knowledge about Land Cruisers, so I'd be surprised if they couldn't help.

Thanks again for your time, that’s what I thought that it was not serviceable! I already ordered a seal kit and it is suppose to arrive next week. I was just preparing everything and cleaning all parts. I’ll keep digging and keep you posted. Cheers

Well, not that it's not serviceable, but that Toyota didn't want its dealers servicing it. The internal parts are obviously available. If you can't find them easily, send Dave Stedman at Japan 4x4 an email. He'll get the parts for you if they can be gotten. He's in Japan.

Well, not that it's not serviceable, but that Toyota didn't want its dealers servicing it. The internal parts are obviously available. If you can't find them easily, send Dave Stedman at Japan 4x4 an email. He'll get the parts for you if they can be gotten. He's in Japan.
Again Malleus, than you very much for sharing this information. The help I have from Toyota here in Ecuador is minimal… even gear box the seal kit take 3 months to get here and cost $400 while from Partsouk it takes 2 weeks to arrive at my door for half the price! One thing is for sure, I’ll get the rig back on the road one way or another.
Cheers.

I found out what happened! A month ago I had made a new pressure line. The old one was leaking. They did bad job in the crimping process and left some debris in the line. Obviously I could not see it before the installation. As we can see on the picture above, the large fod is located in the middle groove which is where the pressure is connected. That large piece of rubber could not follow the flow and got stuck there while all the smaller debris entered all the ports and contaminated the inside of the shaft. I’m impressed to see how reliable the system is since I had to drive 4 hours to get home with a minimal effect on the power steering even though was 70% clogged. I could feel that something was wrong while driving but not enough to stop on the side of the road. My seal kit is 24 hours from my home and hopefully I’ll have a truck in running condition for the weekend.
Keep you posted.
Cheers

Common problem with new crimped hoses, even here. You really have to check them yourself to ensure that they were cleaned before you install them Sad, but true.

Common problem with new crimped hoses, even here. You really have to check them yourself to ensure that they were cleaned before you install them Sad, but true.
But the good thing is to learn from it. I know more than I knew last week.

That's the only way to look at life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom