Steering Gear Box Leaking. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wrench

One Bashed Up 80
Threads
My steering gear box is leaking from where the steering wheel shaft goes into the gear box. Just below the u-joint area.What can I do? Is this an easy repair? Anyone familiar with the gear box?

I've had many of the pre 80 series boxes open for seal replacement... not terribly difficult. It would be best to pull it out of the truck.

I recently obtained an FZJ box and Toyota has changed the upper bearing/seal area. If the seal is simply worn and bad, it should be an easy R&R. If you have play in the upper shaft, a seal alone may not do it, for long. Not sure how the adjustment for the shaft takes place on the box... maybe shims? The early box has and easy adjustment.... Sorry, it's early, and I'm still sleepy.

Yeah the shaft has no play so I think it is just the seal. Is that hard to replace? And can I get the seal by it's self? I was told not to mess with the steering box. That it is a pain in the butt to work on.

Well, just for you, I ran out to the garage and popped (partially) the section off the 80's box that contains the input shaft and seal. Look like you'll have to do a basic break down of the box, R&R most of the guts, then press the input shaft and bearing out of the housing to get to that seal. If anyone knows different, please chime in! The 62 and earlier box is much easier, just spin the large bearing preload cup off the top, R&R the seal, and back on.

You should be able to get just that seal. If you go for the break down, make sure you keep things extra clean.

The seal is not available alone. You must buy a PS gear major gasket kit. It is cheaper than a $2700.00 steering gear, however, so be careful during teardown.........

cdan,
Did you mean $2700.00 steering box or $270.00 steering gear? :dunno: Is your gear stuck or your 0?
Bill

Two thousand seven hundred dollars..(US)...... :eek:

Nolo poopo....... :tear:

The spool valve by its self is a bargain at Eight Hundred dollars....(US)

I present myself to the group, hat in hand. :bow:

The steering gear price I pulled from my feble mind was in error as well as the spool valve price .

I herewith present corrected numbers:

Steering gear, complete: 44110-60211 $2,314.29
Spool valve only: 44120-60180 $1,021.09
gasket set w/top seal: 04445-60050 $119.71

I was close though :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom