Steering Column: Opinions Needed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brooklyn

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

Was looking at the steering setup in my 67 FJ40 and wanted to get some opinions on the setup and a bit of noise I am hearing. I have inserted a link so you can hear the noise when I rotate the linkage. Steering - https://jwp.io/s/UAfLKct5

I have a scout steering box.

The truck drives okay, mainly used on local roads.

steering1.jpeg

Steering2.jpeg

@bikersmurf — thanks for the photos and the suggestion. Would you suggest pulling the current setup and measurements.

I guess how did you spec the replacement. Is the process in a thread?

New to this one 😀

@bikersmurf — thanks for the photos and the suggestion. Would you suggest pulling the current setup and measurements.

I guess how did you spec the replacement. Is the process in a thread?

New to this one 😀

The process is in the last 3 pages of my build thread. The Flaming River DD slip shaft was a complete assembly that I cut about a foot off. I then selected a 1” DD - 3/4” DD u-joint for the top end and a 3/4” DD to 13/16” or 7/8” spline end to match my Scout II box.

Scout II boxes have two different sizes. At the moment I can’t remember which mine was. The size of mine isn’t relevant… only the size of yours. This is how I determined which…
BB41E557-5A00-41F8-B18B-32C17765DB57.jpeg

Borgesen steering components are good also. I used what I could get most reasonably… +/- $400 for the DD slip shaft and 2 joints.

You can get a rebuild kit for that type of joint. Typically folks put a U joint type of coupler like bikersmurf suggested because of the angle of your shaft. It appears someone swapped out your steering column to an aftermarket or gm . If you want to adapt a U joint in your column you will have to remove the one you have to determine what parts you need. Your existing joint is not really designed to have that much of an angle on it, but it does work. The end of the column is splined along with the box. You need to measure what you have on both ends. As bikersmurf mentioned Scout had 2 different spline sizes. If you decide to rebuild the coupler/joint you have you will still have to remove the shaft. You will most likely will have to pull the column back towards the drivers seat to get the shaft out.

Thanks for all the info - very helpful and I now have my fall/winter project. I have have been de-Chevy ing the truck - pulled a tired V8 and put an 85 engine and driveline in. The current steering column is a Chevy and I have been thinking of a FJ60 or newer Toyota column.

The research begins. I do like the Flaming river DD slip shaft.

@bikersmurf — read your build thread. Great information!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom