Steering Clunk Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The steering clunk in my 89 FJ62 was driving me crazy. Decided to try and figure out where it was coming from. I could reproduce the noise by grabbing the intermediate shaft near the upper u-joint at the firewall and then moving it up/down or in/out. Ended up pulling intermediate steering shaft and and the steering column from vehicle to get a better look.

There were 2 issues:
1. Upper u-joint had some play, and the factory grease was dry.
2. The sealed bearing at the end of the column was not captured tight by the snap rings.

For #1, I replaced the u-joint with a Precision 395. This was available at a local Autozone and it has a zerk in one end cap. Any of the following should work:
Precision 395
Moog 395
Spicer 5-1500x

The Spicer does not appear to have a zerk.

For #2, see the photos below. I added a .017" shim to snug the bearing between the snap rings. The bearing as good and I didn't replace it. There was no signs of wear of the snap rings of bearing so this seems like a Toyota design issue.

Also, I added a zerk in the intermediate shaft so this could be greased. Again, the factory grease here too was dried out.

20220618_085530.jpg

20220618_090111.jpg

20220618_091940.jpg

20220618_092031.jpg

20220618_095511.jpg

Last edited:
👍

Well done! This has been on my list for years, but since so far my steering column doesn't make any noise it hasn't been an urgent concern. Maybe one weekend this summer I'll just get after it so it can be done.

Shim come from McMaster?

Does anyone know if the 60 uses a bearing on the shaft as well.. or a bushing ?

Just noticed a typo in my original post and corrected. Its a 89 FJ62. I had originally typed 86 :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom