Steering Box Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
I do believe I've got something that hasn't been discussed before! :eek:

My steering box (not the ps pump or lines) has developed a leak; approximately 1/4 pint every 10 hours of operation.

CDan's kindly provided the p/n of the seal kit... :beer:

Now, having looked at the FSM for my 92, and seeing how many special Toyota tools are used...

Anyone actually rebuild one of these units before? How many :banana: s?

-H-

...boldly going where no SOR or IH8MUD post has gone before.

:beer:

nope but if you decide to have it done by someone then I recomened Readhead Gear in Seattle(don't have # handy) if you send the box and OEM seal kit they will charge $200(at least thats what I paid) to rebuild/reseal it, unless there are some hard parts that are bad(doubtfull) They did my mini truck guts to OEM fj40 casting, they had it back in the mail the same day they got it!! great work, super nice family business.

John H

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=9753;start=msg85778#msg85778 date=1073430777]
I do believe I've got something that hasn't been discussed before! :eek:

My steering box (not the ps pump or lines) has developed a leak; approximately 1/4 pint every 10 hours of operation.

CDan's kindly provided the p/n of the seal kit... :beer:

Now, having looked at the FSM for my 92, and seeing how many special Toyota tools are used...

Anyone actually rebuild one of these units before? How many :banana: s?

-H-

...boldly going where no SOR or IH8MUD post has gone before.

:beer:
[/quote]

Hltoppr, Thats great that your willing to take one for the team :D.

Have a digi camera at your side and when you get stuck post a pic and someone will have an idea how to make shift that special tool I'm sure.

I've rebuilt a few of the earlier boxes, Mini truck IFS, FJ62 etc etc. I have an 80 series box here, it is a smidge different from the earlier box, in that the preload on the worm shaft/power piston is adjusted via shims (If I recall correctly) in the upper bearing housing - the earlier box has a large threaded bearing cup which makes preloading much easier. Anyway, my point is I can't produce any remarks on that section of the 80 series box.

The rest of the 80 box appears to be just like the older box, and if so, is fairly straight forward to R&R if you follow the FSM. Clean the box to a spotless state.... and keep it clean, the teflon seals are not built for dirt duty of any type. Inspect for worn stuff, blah blah blah. If you want to get fancy, you can throw a radius on some of the port orifices (such a nasty word :flipoff2:) to increase flow a smidge, and reduce heat/noise... in theory, anyway.

I vote for you trying it yourself and letting us know how it goes. :eek: :D :D

Seriously, you can be assured I'd be on the phone talking to Pimp's dudes lickedy split.

Actually Taco's don't have boxes, they have racks, but who really cares? The link must be for a solid axle conversion.

I just responded to this to bring up the point that Tacos have racks. :D

I have a little seepage there too on my 91...VERY slow right now but I suspect a seal kit may be in my future...

If I decide to rebuild it I will photo document, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom