steering box is a loose goose...

Well, my new 55 runs great and all, but the steering box seems to be toast.. I can move the wheel back and forth a good 3-4 inches before the pitman arm even starts to move. I did try to adjust it, with the nut on the side, but seems to do nothing. Now, I was wanting to go power steering, but seems like more than I want to get into at the moment. Can these boxes be rebuilt? Would it be worth it? Does anyone have an old box that they would be willing to part with thats still tight? :rolleyes:

mookie

i actually do have one that was rebuilt by man-a-fre, probably has less than 500 miles on it before i decided to go to power steering...i've also got a new drag link bar, rebuilt center-arm assembly and a hecklethorn steering dampner that goes in the stock location, all barely used....just pm me if your interested...

How did you try to adjust it? I just took a buttload of slop out of my 55's mini ps box. I spun that screw down till you could feel it bottom out, then spun it back a quarter of a turn. Really helped a lot.

It seems as if most 55 boxes are pretty toasted. I have 2 that are shot. The last one got to the point where the shaft the pitman arm attaches to was starting to move in and out of the box. what is involved in rebuilding a steering box? Is it just bushings or does the worm gear wear out?

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ

Don't be sad Land Bruiser...
I have one you can have. Took it out of my '74 last Oct.
Trade for beer, you haul.

Last edited:
Top Bottom