Steel Wheel Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

holy crap those smoothies look so good <3

A note; The correct Toyota steel wheel torque value for the 80 series is 108 ftlbs. 100 wouldn't be too bad, just wanted to note this.

I do like the smoothie look. It was "standard" on the FJ55. There were hubcaps, so clip/springs on the wheels, but mine came with only the rear caps and it looked stupid with just them on. The dealership said the truck was as is, so either they got robbed to go one another customer's LC (most likely a 40, which were quite popular, my 55 was a 76 model still sitting there in the spring of 77 in Indy) or they just got robbed. I liked the look.

C5YMfg.jpg

But I digress. Just for reference, this is how a set of the OEM steelies (42601-60361) looks and I like it a lot.

vZ3wW7.jpg

DBA672D5-4BDF-41DD-B09C-88DC677927CD.jpeg

Love my setup. All good after 3k miles. 16x10s with insane deep dish. Thanks!

You'll notice that alloy wheels do not use conical wheel nuts and the reason the back face is machined flat is because they have to mount with flat-surface nuts and washers. Steel wheels on the other hand use conical nuts.

I do wheel nuts up to 80 ft-lb as a rule. 109 ft-lb for steel wheels is ludicrously high IMHO!

Current wheels on my 80 are Australian-made ROH Trak-2's but the factory 16 x 8 steel wheels are perfectly fine. My trailer runs on a couple of them with same-sized tyres (just cheap ones not very expensive ones) as on the 80 itself.

Last edited:
Just love those SWB 70s :woot:, beno!

I can see why some folks like them wide, but the 16x8 provides for that sort of thing, although a 10" rim provide some extra helpings.

But I like things narrow and it works with or without the flares, depending on taste. This looks pretty good and it was a lot more of a challenge a couple of decades back when the east channel here was the deep one, been hood deep in it in the old 55 -- and I don't mean Chebby. Now it's the west side. It's about all the 4-wheeling that's left in Central Illinois - unless it snows.

l1XdC8.jpg

Just love those SWB 70s :woot:, beno!

I can see why some folks like them wide, but the 16x8 provides for that sort of thing, although a 10" rim provide some extra helpings.

But I like things narrow and it works with or without the flares, depending on taste. This looks pretty good and it was a lot more of a challenge a couple of decades back when the east channel here was the deep one, been hood deep in it in the old 55 -- and I don't mean Chebby. Now it's the west side. It's about all the 4-wheeling that's left in Central Illinois - unless it snows.

l1XdC8.jpg

Bang on as I’m one of the few running 16x10s. If my life was dependent on getting in and out of the bush in my 80, I’d def get practical and run narrower 33s on 8s.

Alas, that’s not my workload so I go with something that visually slays.

I’d run 15x10s if I could! I love the arctic truck aesthetic.
6EF22A99-801A-4F81-97BF-37414CDB203E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom