Stay AWAY from ALCAN SPRING!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:mad: I ordered a brand new set of Alcan Springs for my tiny Toyota motorhome. I ordered the springs EXTRA heavy w/ a 2" lift to support the extra weight.

When I received the Alcan springs, I installed them and the springs did not hold the motorhome up at all! I immediately sent the springs back and asked for them to be either refunded or fixed.

Alcan Spring refused to fix the problem (no refund, they wouldn't add leaves to make the springs hold my rig up, they wouldn't ship them back to me). So now, Alcan Spring has all of my money ($680) and they also have my springs (I'm 1,000's of miles away from their factory, so I can't afford to pay for shipping a 3rd time or pay for them to fix the springs)!!!*(@&!!!!!:mad:

They did all of this because I didn't call them, just sent the springs back & emailed them 2 days after I received them (because they didn't work at all on my rig that they were "custom built" for). Seems excessive to not help a PAYING customer with a BRAND NEW product that doesn't work, regardless of a phone call 2 days later.

I just wanted to warn you all that ALCAN SPRING has HORRIBLE business practicies when it comes to customer service. They might deliver YOU a brand new product that does not work, and NEVER fix it for you. Stay AWAY from ALCAN SPRING!!!!!

If you don't get this resolved let me know and i will pick them up ~8/17 on my way back to houston and atleast get them shipped back to you so you have something to show for your wasted money

Yikes. Call them up, be nice, but insist they do right by you. Shipping is a killer for us folks in AK- why did you ship them back immediately?

I shipped them back immediately because I was picking up the motorhome in Los angeles & driving it back to Alaska. I did not have time for them to "fix" the problem through the mail, I was just looking to get a refund. I had to have another set of springs custom built in Los Angeles so I could drive back to Alaska & make it back to my new job.

I figured they would AT LEAST fix the springs and make them like they were supposed to be, but the owner ABSOLUTELY refuses to do anything for me. He says that I have to to pay all of the shipping ($350) to get them back to me and I also have to pay another $300 just to have them fixed to hold up my rig. Total bs. Anyway driving to Alaska anytime the next year? I'll buy you a case of beer & throw you some gas $$ if you pick them up for me.

OOHHHH, almost forgot. Now he says he is going to scrap them/throw them away because he "doesn't have room" to store them for me while I make my decision whether I want to pay for all the shipping or not. ARGH!:bang: (this has been going back and forth since I received them on April 26th).

Hello,

ALCAN SPRING Has nothing else to tell you we told you we will ship your springs to you. Any thing that you want us to do to the springs will be paid for before we ship them to you, and the shipping is on you.
------------------------
Hello,

I Am confused I do not owe you a set of springs. I have a set of springs that were custom built for your motor home sitting here on my rack that will not fit any thing but a big heavy motor home. I do not need them they are yours you should have used them or at least kept them until you talked to me. I told you the other day that I will ship them to you add leaves to them what ever you want. They belong to you ,you paid for them and as I told you before you should have made contact with me. The minute that they would not work and then we would have had an obligation to help you. You just sent them back with out a call.

It will cost you probably $350.00 at least to get them to you + probably another $300.00 to add three more leaves to them. Are you willing to do this or what do you want to do?? You can not expect any thing from ALCAN SPRING we should have had a chance to fix the problem when the springs were on the vehicle in LA. I will not discus this matter any further. Let ALCAN SPRING know what you want to do.
----------------------

I will tell you we are not wealthy either. We are new business owners here and can not take a hit either. I will hold on to the springs for a while but we will set a date the next time we talk to resolve the issue. Either you pay to ship them to your self or we scrap them and move on.
----------------------

I have not sold them as you know there are very few of these motor homes around so just do not know what to tell you. If You want me to build you a set of add-a-leafs for your springs that are on there right now you need to start all over send an email with what you actually want we will give you a price on them. But they are a whole new order. If I could find some one needing these springs it would make us both very happy. Like we talked about earlier get them shipped up there and maybe you can sell them and recoup some of your money. But you need to Decide pretty soon or we will just scrap them we really do not think that we should be storing them much longer they are just to heavy for most applications.

Not to start off on the wrong foot...but why mail them back until you here from the company?

I think you basically f'ed yourself, and the company owes you nothing.

Maybe you can advertise them on a forum that rebuilds that particular camper and pay Alcan to ship them to new customer in the States...at least you could stand to recover something.

Why cant alcan dissasemble the springs and reuse them on other sets? Then refund you?

Why cant alcan dissasemble the springs and reuse them on other sets? Then refund you?

Sounds like they were a custom job.

Agree it'd have been best to speak to the company before mailing them.

The critical issue IMO is why didn't the springs work properly? Is it because you (OP) gave a wrong spec like the vehicle weight (or weren't sure what the right spec was)? Or did you give the right specs and Alcan's springs don't perform?

That is critical to my opinion of the proper recourse now, if any.

I did, in fact, provide Alcan with all of the information they asked me for to build the custom springs. They knew it was a motorhome, they knew I needed them built to support a certain weight (7,000 lbs), & the were supposed to provide a 2" lift. When I put them on, they didn't hold up the motorhome at all (driver side was really sagging and the passenger side was flat/no arch). I don't know anything about spring building, so you think they would have asked me for rear axle weight & if there is more weight on 1 side of the camper. I could have easily found that out for them, but I wasn't asked that so I didn't know at the time.

There is no mistake on my side of the story other than sending them back before calling (which I admit, was a mistake, but not enough to justify the fact that their product didn't work as I paid it to work and literally cost me hundreds (thousands actually, 2,200 by the time I paid the mechanic in LA 2 times for 2 different sets of springs installed and a hotel room for 2 nights).

Did you pay with a credit card? If so, see about doing a chargeback.

how did you measure the weight of the motor home? guesstimate OR actual scale weight?
why is it that individuals feel they can just do what ever the hell they want and expect a company to "suck it up"?
you should have contacted the company while the springs were still on the truck, not 2 days AFTER shipping them back. you made a decision outside the companies permission ... so, as you infered to teh company ... "suck it up" big boy.

What type of motorhome? Some type of van conversion?

Custom springs for a motorhome would certainly require a separate weight for each wheel. Sounds to me like you're not a very good communicator, evidenced by the fact that you didn't communicate with them before you sent the springs back.

Bummer about the money that you are out. What lessons have we learned here today children?

Custom springs for a motorhome would certainly require a separate weight for each wheel. Sounds to me like you're not a very good communicator, evidenced by the fact that you didn't communicate with them before you sent the springs back.

Bummer about the money that you are out. What lessons have we learned here today children?

Umm, call the supplier when you have a problem?

I want to post up my experiences with Alcan Spring.

I live less than a mile from their shop and have purchased items from them several times over the years. They have always had great service and are very knowledgeable and professional. Their leav springs are widely used locally by farmers, ranchers, the Oil and Gas industry and offroaders. They sell tons of springs for heavy trailers and vehicles alike. They have a very good reputation and it's frustrating when someone comes on a forum bashing them when it sounds like they don't have there information straight or didn't do their research and communicate properly. Now when you google Alcan Spring, your thread is the second thing that comes up in the results.

I'm sorry that you are having issues but I think there is more to the story than we are hearing. I have made several purchases that did not come out as intended and each time I've called or shown (photos are worth a lot more than words) the provider the issue and it has been corrected. Like people above have stated, you really handled this poorly.

Posting quotes below for archive.

I ordered a brand new set of Alcan Springs for my tiny Toyota motorhome. I ordered the springs EXTRA heavy w/ a 2" lift to support the extra weight.

When I received the Alcan springs, I installed them and the springs did not hold the motorhome up at all! I immediately sent the springs back and asked for them to be either refunded or fixed.

Alcan Spring refused to fix the problem (no refund, they wouldn't add leaves to make the springs hold my rig up, they wouldn't ship them back to me). So now, Alcan Spring has all of my money ($680) and they also have my springs (I'm 1,000's of miles away from their factory, so I can't afford to pay for shipping a 3rd time or pay for them to fix the springs)!!!*(@&!!!!!

They did all of this because I didn't call them, just sent the springs back & emailed them 2 days after I received them (because they didn't work at all on my rig that they were "custom built" for). Seems excessive to not help a PAYING customer with a BRAND NEW product that doesn't work, regardless of a phone call 2 days later.

I just wanted to warn you all that ALCAN SPRING has HORRIBLE business practicies when it comes to customer service. They might deliver YOU a brand new product that does not work, and NEVER fix it for you. Stay AWAY from ALCAN SPRING!!!!!

I shipped them back immediately because I was picking up the motorhome in Los angeles & driving it back to Alaska. I did not have time for them to "fix" the problem through the mail, I was just looking to get a refund. I had to have another set of springs custom built in Los Angeles so I could drive back to Alaska & make it back to my new job.

I figured they would AT LEAST fix the springs and make them like they were supposed to be, but the owner ABSOLUTELY refuses to do anything for me. He says that I have to to pay all of the shipping ($350) to get them back to me and I also have to pay another $300 just to have them fixed to hold up my rig. Total bs. Anyway driving to Alaska anytime the next year? I'll buy you a case of beer & throw you some gas $$ if you pick them up for me.

OOHHHH, almost forgot. Now he says he is going to scrap them/throw them away because he "doesn't have room" to store them for me while I make my decision whether I want to pay for all the shipping or not. ARGH! (this has been going back and forth since I received them on April 26th).

Hello,

ALCAN SPRING Has nothing else to tell you we told you we will ship your springs to you. Any thing that you want us to do to the springs will be paid for before we ship them to you, and the shipping is on you.
------------------------
Hello,

I Am confused I do not owe you a set of springs. I have a set of springs that were custom built for your motor home sitting here on my rack that will not fit any thing but a big heavy motor home. I do not need them they are yours you should have used them or at least kept them until you talked to me. I told you the other day that I will ship them to you add leaves to them what ever you want. They belong to you ,you paid for them and as I told you before you should have made contact with me. The minute that they would not work and then we would have had an obligation to help you. You just sent them back with out a call.

It will cost you probably $350.00 at least to get them to you + probably another $300.00 to add three more leaves to them. Are you willing to do this or what do you want to do?? You can not expect any thing from ALCAN SPRING we should have had a chance to fix the problem when the springs were on the vehicle in LA. I will not discus this matter any further. Let ALCAN SPRING know what you want to do.
----------------------

I will tell you we are not wealthy either. We are new business owners here and can not take a hit either. I will hold on to the springs for a while but we will set a date the next time we talk to resolve the issue. Either you pay to ship them to your self or we scrap them and move on.
----------------------

I have not sold them as you know there are very few of these motor homes around so just do not know what to tell you. If You want me to build you a set of add-a-leafs for your springs that are on there right now you need to start all over send an email with what you actually want we will give you a price on them. But they are a whole new order. If I could find some one needing these springs it would make us both very happy. Like we talked about earlier get them shipped up there and maybe you can sell them and recoup some of your money. But you need to Decide pretty soon or we will just scrap them we really do not think that we should be storing them much longer they are just to heavy for most applications.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom