Starting the process of importing a KZJ78 from Japan. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, everyone, I wanted to throw my thoughts down and hopefully get some feedback on my decision.

I am looking for a 25year old 4door diesel Toyota Landcruiser. I plan to use this truck for 4wheeling and a DD. That being said I have ruled out leaf springs for a more stable and comfortable driving experience. From my searches, this lands me on the 1993 KZJ78, as I am not a huge fan of the styling of the 80s series. I am open to other suggestions!

I plan to build something similar to this https://i.imgur.com/j2brqlb.jpg

My budget is 15K~ for the imported vehicle then another 10K for modifications.

With all the being said one thing to get me started would be a vehicle importer recommendation.

I am not don't fully understand the importing process yet, but I assume I would need someone that has feet on the ground that could do compression tests on the engine and inspection before shipping.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

That being said I have ruled out leaf springs for a more stable and comfortable driving experience.

You can make the leaf springs fairly comfortable. The other reason is the leaf spring versions are considered the heavy duty models, so you can get the larger 1HZ, stronger gearbox, diffs etc, although the 1KZ T and coil sprung models have their attractions.

We had an importation thread as a sticky, I think its still there.

And welcome to MUD

I will track down the importation thread, thanks!.

I based my decision based on a friend that has had a couple of both.

His words

"The 70 is arguably the coolest looking Landcruiser and the interior is really cool too. But it drives exactly like you'd expect a 25yr old fully leaf sprung truck would drive. Even with new bushings and a refresh on the suspension, it's sloppy, the steering center constantly changes as the spring packs realign themselves. My 80 with a 6" lift handled like it was on rails, so in that respect the 70 was a bit of a let down to me. You could probably fix that by adding a lateral rod front and rear and steering feel would greatly improve. I was even thinking of "coverting mine to 80 series suspension."

Do you have any recommendations on how to help with this issue especial when lifted?

Where is the fun in just going straight down the road? (on a rail so to speak). Being cool often takes some effort. :)

Here is my last build, https://i.imgur.com/tFIfAmp.jpg

95, 3.4 swaped, supercharged, converted to leafs.

Since this will be a long distance family hauler I want to make sure I dont go too crazy.

Here is my other train of thought, it might be wrong. Definitely looking for opinions.

Since I am going with an automatic this time around the gearbox is going to be the same KZJ78 verse HZJ77

The engine in the 78 will require a 3 core copper radiator and a larger exhaust and maybe an intercooler to keep the engine as reliable. (head crack from heat)

Then the rear diff will be smaller, but I can deal with that.

Thoughts?

Here is my other train of thought, it might be wrong. Definitely looking for opinions.

Since I am going with an automatic this time around the gearbox is going to be the same KZJ78 verse HZJ77

The engine in the 78 will require a 3 core copper radiator and a larger exhaust and maybe an intercooler to keep the engine as reliable. (head crack from heat)

Then the rear diff will be smaller, but I can deal with that.

Thoughts?

The auto gearbox is different between the KZJ78 (A343F electronic) and the HZJ77 (A442F hydraulic). That being said, the A343F is less prone to overheating, and locks up the torque converter in 3rd and OD. Personally I prefer the A343F. It's what toyota went to in the late 80 series (gas) and 100 series.

Personally I really like the KZJ78's. Wouldn't say the coiled 70's handle like they're on rails though.

Thanks for all the replies, definitely been helpful.

For what its worth I have an HZJ77, and was too concerned with stability, I did all the due diligence, replaced all the suspesnion and steering bushings, new shocks, made sure caster was correct, etc. Recently took it on a 700mile round trip through windy roads, windy conditions, at speeds of 110-120km, and I must say it handled and felt as good as my a-arm tacoma. Point is leaf springs can ride well if they are properly setup and maintained.

I have a KZJ78 which is a daily and also camping and long distance touring rig.
Coils are great, but there are some limits. I think you are over estimating how well they handle. Mine is great in a straight line, ok in sweepy stuff, but body roll in 60-70 km/h corners is quite big. They're also slow. My wife and I joke that ours is happiest at 80-90k on the open road.

Yes, it probably handles better than non maintained leafs, but I think there are other downsides that come with the KZJ78 platform, which are don't outweigh the leaves in the HZ77.

The heaviest rear coil you can get is a +150kg 65mm lift Dobinson, so if you need weight carrying capability and lift then this should be a consideration.
The 1KZTE has well documented downsides. Its also no rocketship in these trucks. Its very electronic, and the engine and trans are run by the same computer. This limits transplant options later (if that's your thing).

You will need to have the ECU recapped, pretty much guaranteed. usual symptom is the Auto stops shifting well.

In general, there is a lot less aftermarket support for these trucks - i.e you might get to pick from a smaller number of manufacturers and specs for a lift kit etc.

I'd look for a HZJ77, or even a PZJ77 - added bonus that you could swap a 1HDT in!

Well s***, thats only 2h30m from me. I might just have to make it, and with a little help I might be able to get a 70 series here before the meet!.

Well s***, thats only 2h30m from me. I might just have to make it, and with a little help I might be able to get a 70 series here before the meet!.
P.M. Sent

@nickolai thanks for some solid insight from someone that has the KZJ78.

I think at this point going with the HZJ77 with a good 2-3inch lift is the way to go. (Fresh suspension)

@nickolai thanks for some solid insight from someone that has the KZJ78.

I think at this point going with the HZJ77 with a good 2-3inch lift is the way to go. (Fresh suspension)

You can be one of four 77 Series scheduled to attend the September Meet & Greet. :)

Well as luck may have it, I have sourced a HZJ77 that was just recently imported. It looks great and had a great conversation with the importer.

We are scheduling for today or tomorrow to have their local Toyota dealer do a pre-purchase inspection as well as do a compression test. The truck has 160K on the clock.

It just had the injector pump rebuilt, timing and water pump done.

Anything I should let the dealer know to check specifically beside a compression test that would be outside of a third party buyer inspection?

Looking like I will be showing up to the meet and greet with a new to me HZJ77. Someone give me a quick hit on where to source some parts?

I need front wheel bearings, front axle seals, and a transmission pan gasket!.

Also OME HD lift the best lift for these things?

Wheel bearings, axle seals, etc are all the same as a US spec cruiser. I don't know much about Land Cruiser auto tranny's but I believe it's probably the same as well. I personally use partsouq to get really good parts diagrams and part numbers and then hit up your local Toyota dealership or amazon/eBay. Partsouq is priced cheap, but once you add in shipping from the UAE it usually becomes about a wash. There are also plenty of great vendors on this forum, I've used Beno at Land Cruiser consulting for some hard to find parts.

LAND CRUISER S/T,H/T FJ75,LJ7#,HZJ7#,PZJ7#,KZJ7# HZJ77HV-PEU | Toyota | Genuine Parts Catalogs | PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

For example a front inner wheel bearing is 9036-849084 which is the same as 4Runner, pickup, and Land Cruiser. Available on amazon, prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-90368...automotive&vehicleId=3&vehicleType=automotive

And yes, OME is a quality lift. Terrain Tamer is another good option. Dobinsons makes lifts as well and they're just starting to show up in the US market, they have an importer based out of Miami selling their stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom