Starting a LC/LX not knowing if I have Master/Valet key or with no center console so no security light (2000 LC) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay here's is a real ball buster. A buddy of mine bough a LC probably sight unseen for cheap. It has 295k miles on it. It is a 2000 Land Cruiser The issue is the following.

1. No Center console So No view of security light - It does not have center console as it is ripped out. There was different console in the truck likely that replaced the original one. So It only has a bunch of connectors. There is no way to control the AC/Radio/ and most importantly No view of the Security light. So we are blind here not knowing what we have in terms of security light when we put in the key.

2. We have one broken key 3key (4c transponder key) B/c we cannot see security light we do not know if it is a Master key or valet key.

3. I was able to hook up techstream to the LC but I was not able to talk with the immobilizer cpu or other cpu units (engine) to do anything. So does this say anything?

4. They current key is a non transponder key that we have taped the broken transponder key to it.

ADDEDE NEW forgot to mention

5 - Initially was able to get Techstream talking to immobiliser and it got a "B2796 code - "No Communication in Immobiliser system"

I think this is a very tall order.. is there any way we can even remotely try to start this car? Is there a way to reset the ecu to get it working with the existing key that I have. I saw some videos to fully reset the ecu using the 4/13 pin paper clip reset for 30 min. Not sure if resetting the ecu will allow us to do anything. Any help with this matter would he helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:
So you know you have a key that the computer is ok with but you just don't know if you can program new ones?

So I have a key. I dont know if the computer is okay with this key or not since i do not have the security key form the center console which is missing. Which is the main problem. No center console.

Also b/c no center console. do not know if it is Master key or Valet key.

One way to tell a master key apart from the valet key is to simply try to lock and unlock the glove box the valet key will not work on that lock

Look below.

One way to tell a master key apart from the valet key is to simply try to lock and unlock the glove box the valet key will not work on that lock

lol unfortunately no key just the fob. so cant check that either.

@Mauser might be able to help "virginize" the existing ECU, and you could just program new keys for it...

Last edited:
So maybe the key is fine and the rig won't start for other reasons... Is that what you're asking?

So I think its not fuel pump imho because we put some starter fluid into the air intake and the car cranks but not start.

So I think its not fuel pump imho because we put some starter fluid into the air intake and the car cranks but not start.
See if youre getting spark and go backwards from there

Can you get access to Techstream?

I have access to Techstream. I connected it to the truck. It initially recognized the immobilizer and gave a code of B2796 - No communication in Immobilizer system. But when I tried reconnecting to it I was not able to do it successfully where it gave a communication error with it.

Ok in there it should tell you in the immobilizer systems how many keys are programmed to the system. Both Master and Valet. If you attempt to go through the process of clearing the keys out except for the one that is in the system, if it is NOT a master it should kick you out.

Ok in there it should tell you in the immobilizer systems how many keys are programmed to the system. Both Master and Valet. If you attempt to go through the process of clearing the keys out except for the one that is in the system, if it is NOT a master it should kick you out.

Got it this is good info to know. I am not sure if this is what was happening to me because I am not sure if I was successfully connecting to any of the systems of the car using Techstream

Anyways.. looking at some other information what would a ECU full Reset do? I have seen else where on the internet that shorting out the 4,13 pins together for 30 minutes would reset the ecu. Will that help me if I do it? or will that not do anything?

Last edited:
Got it this is good info to know. I am not sure if this is what was happening to me because I am not sure if I was successfully connecting to any of the systems of the car.

Anyways.. looking at some other information what would a ECU full Reset do? I have seen else where on the internet that shorting out the 4,13 pins together for 30 minutes would reset the ecu. Will that help me if I do it? or will that not do anything?
@Mauser would be the one to answer that question. Not sure what the full reset does, if it virginizes the box or not.

Once you empty the key cache (what's done by the jumper trick you referred to) you'll need a master key. The master key can then write to the ECU and start the truck. It can also be used to create clone keys.

Once you empty the key cache (what's done by the jumper trick you referred to) you'll need a master key. The master key can then write to the ECU and start the truck. It can also be used to create clone keys.

So the question is since I do not know if I have a Master key or Valet key, can I just use the key that I have and register it to the ECU?

I'd suggest finding a known master key. Worst case you have two...as you should anyway.

Jumping the pins in the connector won't help. It only works on 2003-2007 and won't delete keys. It just matches the immo ecu to the engine ecu.

If it were me I would start with flashing the ecu. Or get one with master keys already added. But if you dont have communication with the ecu with Techstream then that problem might need figured out first. I can help with flashing the ecu and adding keys.

Jumping the pins in the connector won't help. It only works on 2003-2007 and won't delete keys. It just matches the immo ecu to the engine ecu.

If it were me I would start with flashing the ecu. Or get one with master keys already added. But if you dont have communication with the ecu with Techstream then that problem might need figured out first. I can help with flashing the ecu and adding keys.

The complexities of Toyota's security variations are nuts. I've seen the clear work on Lexus cars, and apparently incorrectly concluded that it would have the same function here. :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom