starter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
this is probably a retarded question but im relativly new to cars my cruiser is my frist one...anyway ive had it a year...ive heard this starter noise twice now once when i was stuck in a mud pit up to the doors and today for the first time since then its been in the garage for a week (workin on it) and has not been started. when i went to start it today,it had a grinding type noise when i turned it over so i stopped and gave the pedal another half pump and turned it over and it started right up. what the hecck was that noise and should i be worried...oh yeah the last time i heard it was in the summer... thanks al ???

Intermittently I wouldn't worry about it, probably just a temporary malfunction of the bendix (the thing that throws out the starter gear to engage it with the flywheel). Something just didn't line up so the gear just spun realllly fast making that noise. The half pump of the pedal didn't do anything fyi.
Did the engine turn over at all the first time? Or did it just make the noise. If it did turn over, did it start and then make that noise after it started?
A buddy of mine's '03 F150 started rattling/grinding from the starter area immediatly after the engine turned over. It was also right after he'd been wheelin for a weekend. The dealership replaced his starter under warranty, but I think they thought like I did that something (maybe a spring?) was up with the bendix causing it to not retract like it was supposed to.

[quote author=lowtideride link=board=1;threadid=6647;start=msg54140#msg54140 date=1066882260]
...ive heard this starter noise twice now once when i was stuck in a mud pit up to the doors and today for the first time since then its been in the garage for a week (workin on it) and has not been started. when i went to start it today,it had a grinding type noise when i turned it over so i stopped and gave the pedal another half pump and turned it over and it started right up. what the hecck was that noise and should i be worried...oh yeah the last time i heard it was in the summer... thanks al ???
[/quote]

Sounds to me like someone will be replacing a solenoid, if not a whole starter assembly. This grinding noise is probably the starter bendix not engaging properly with the teeth on the flywheel, because of wear or corrosion, or both.

Depressing the gas pedal will not change this situation, so do not be fooled by this. You should investigate your starter motor, before it leaves you sitting someplace, not able to start the engine.

Good luck!

I guess I'm taking my chances cause my 40 has done this twice in the year I've owned it in two totally unrelated instances several months apart. You can always roll it down a hill :D

ythe griding noise happened right when i turned the key and the engine dint start because as soon as i heard it i stopped cranking it then tryed it agian and it started right up... oh man i hope i dont have to replace it soon...how much is a starter gonna put me back..do you think it will last for a few more months?

solenoid, if not a whole starter assembly. im afriad to ask how much ? :(

i just found a mean green starter for 3 big ones on man-a-fre

You can buy the solinoid @ NAPA for around $25. The starter is around $70 rebuilt. Make sure you look HARD at the starter you get. It may or may not be the correct one.

Don't buy the hype, you don't need a mean green. Go to an auto parts store and pick up a new starter for $50 and throw it in. A couple of bolts and wires and you're done. If you wait too long, you will be a very pissed off camper somewhere when it's most inconvienient.

[quote author=lowtideride link=board=1;threadid=6647;start=msg54162#msg54162 date=1066884599]
ythe griding noise happened right when i turned the key and the engine dint start because as soon as i heard it i stopped cranking it then tryed it agian and it started right up... oh man i hope i dont have to replace it soon...how much is a starter gonna put me back..do you think it will last for a few more months?
[/quote]
You can take your chances, or replace it. I dunno, like I said mine will grind once in a blue moon, but works fine the other 99.99% of the time, I've been taking my chances for awhile with no problems.

I agree with fsusteve: you don't need a mean green. Hell, buy two reman OEMs, and have a spare. Spend your savings on something you want. And, Bailey, you can't ALWAYs roll it down a hill..... :rolleyes:

anyone bought a rebuilt starter from mana fre?

Why pay shipping when you can go to NAPA or Advanced Auto or anyone else local. If there's a core charge you don't want to be boxing up a starter for Cali when you can throw it on a local counter. Just my two cents.

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=6647;start=msg54247#msg54247 date=1066918430]
And, Bailey, you can't ALWAYs roll it down a hill..... :rolleyes:
[/quote]
keep a tow strap or a chain in the back and "make" your own hill. :p :flipoff2: :D

Just as a side note...

Mine was doing the same thing. Replaced the solenoid with one off of an older starter... (73 I think? It was an F engine anyways) so if you can find someone throwing one of those away, you should be able to use that.

Advance Auto... liftime warranty... <$70 w/ tax.

Could always upgrade to a gear reduction starter, but they're about another 50+.

jm

Actually what i've started doing for starters and alternators is having a local shop rebuild them. I found a guy that used to rebuild them for a living and we talked about the typical rebuild -- i.e. if a bearings not worn out they often times won't replace it, ... Anyway i asked him if i could just observe him rebuilding my alternator -- so that i could consider doing it my self.

I was someone in awe...

It took an hour and never did the hands stop. Now whenever i've got an electrical problem/question w/the truck he's my first resource and has since earned all my DC business.

If you can find a guy like this i'd go this route. Otherwise i'd chose NAPA!

i think ill prob get a lifer from advance auto....so whats the deal with gear reduction what does that do for over all preformance??? ps. thanks for all the advice....al

[quote author=jm link=board=1;threadid=6647;start=msg54622#msg54622 date=1066961342]
Advance Auto... liftime warranty... <$70 w/ tax.

Could always upgrade to a gear reduction starter, but they're about another 50+.

jm
[/quote]
fj60 is already a grear reduction starter. I don't know about the part house $70 starters, but I got a new re-man OEM unit for $140(it rep;lace and a non GR in my fj45) I would prolly rebuild or have rebuilt yours, the contacts are cheap even from Toyota.

John H

John H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom