starter relay click,click (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, I just returned from a day of cruisin with the HJ47 (turbo'd 2H).

Along the way the starter relay began to act up. When I would try to start all I would hear would be click, click and the engine would not turn over. The first time it happened it finally kicked over after a few tries. From then on I parked on hills so I could be sure to start. I had to roll start about half the time. The battery cables are clean and tight as well as the connections on the starter relay.

So my questions are: Is there a field fix for a malfunctioning starter relay besides swapping it out?

If I can't find a replacement relay can it be repaired or retrofitted?

Thanks,

Blastr9

69 FJ40
82 HJ47
d15.jpg
d27.jpg

Are you sure your battery or batteries are at full charge my 42 will click when the batteries are low at times.

Hey mate, Are you sure its the relay that's the problem? The symptoms you explained sound uncannily like a very common problem with the solenoid in the starter motor. The click sound you hear is probably the relay engaging the starter circuit. When you turn the key to start, it engages a solenoid which pushes the starter gears out to engage the flywheel. With age the plunger assembly gets worn, and it gets stuck. A common trick is to tap your starter with a small hammer (GENTLY) then try again. You can get your starter rebuilt, or just get a new one. Not exactly cheap but it depends on how long you like to spend starting your 'Cruiser. Nice looking 47 by the way! Cheers, Matt

Dieseler, the battery is new and fully charged.

Thanks,
John

Matt, The starter is new. The clicking sound is definately coming from the left side upper floorboard. Either the glow plug relay or the starter relay is clicking.

I will be in Perth in a couple of weeks. Any ideas on where to track down the relays?

Thanks,
John

Does anyone have any suggestions for testing the starter relay and other tests to sort out the intermittent problem?

Thanks,
John

I would suggest that after you have checked the positive cables and connections that you check the ground cable(s) and connections. Remove them all, clean and replace. They are open circuit or high resisitance when the current spikes on start demand. That is why the relay is clicking. It may even be the connection at the starter/solenoid or even the wire supplying the starter field coils (heavy wire braid that goes from solenoid to the starter).

Doug384, Thanks, check those issues in a couple of weeks when I return back to the states.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom