Starter Problem '03 and later (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have spent several hours searching through the archives re: starter problems (contact and otherwise) with the TLC. It seemed to me that most of the problems occurred with vehicles manufactured from '98 to '02. Is this due to higher mileage of the older vehicles, or did Toyota redesign the starter in '03 to prevent the starter failures which occurred in earlier years?

Also, if my vehicle does suffer a starter problem, would this be covered under Toyota's certified vehicle warranty?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the problem is mileage related rather than being model year related, especially if you have a lot of regular short trips. My 93 Lexus SC had the very same problem as my 99 LC. After doing the starter contacts job on the LC, I can see that the contacts are considered to be wear parts by Toyota. I don't see how they would have changed that after 2003.

I ordered a whole new (remanufactured) starter from Toyota and the parts guy said it was the same for 98-05.

The contacts wear out and can be replaced. It doesn't just quit working like in many other cars. You know when they are wearing out way ahead of time.

My 2000 is just starting to show symptoms of neededing new contacts (starter). It has 85k miles and I am not sure abou tthe condition of the battery.

Luckily I just placed an order for new contacts and plunger. They can't come soon enough!:D

Few ?'s:

1. Does the battery have influence on the starter? For example, if the battery is running on the low end of the required voltage needed to turn the starter over, will this make a semi-good starter not turn over?

2. Why do these contacts wear out so quickly? Does every make/model have this issue? Do most owners just buy a new starter at around 90k miles? ( I know most makes of vehicles don't even make ti to the 90k mi mark)

Thanks for reading...

Starter contacts . . .

Just did mine today, a nasty chore that I've been putting off for almost 2 years. It progressively got worse. Sometimes it would go weeks without a glitch and then other times it would take a dozen or more turns of the key to get it to catch. I was in denial & did the battery clamps & load tested the battery, but knew all along it was really the contacts, not that bad a job.

An no, the extended Certified Pre-Owned warrantee doesn't cover it, they don't consider the starter part of the drivetrain -- go figure! I'm a bit P-O'd at the dealer, the extended warrantee isn't worth the paper it's printed on, I'll never pay for another one and the dealer lost a customer.

As for model year split, all I can find is there was a different listing for the contacts before and after 03/2000. I only replaced the contacts, figure after doing it once, I can do it again more easily if the whole starter craps out. Aside from the contacts, the starter has always felt very robust.

donco
'00 Land Cruiser, 100k

One could play it "safe" and buy a reman starter, then get new contacts for the old one, rebuild at your leisure, test it, then use it as a spare. Is this worth the expense?

It seemed to me that most of the problems occurred with vehicles manufactured from '98 to '02. Is this due to higher mileage of the older vehicles, or did Toyota redesign the starter in '03 to prevent the starter failures which occurred in earlier years?

I have the same question. The Toyota dealer told me that starter contacts are not available for my 2007 which has me wondering if the '06+ VVTI engine has an updated starter vs the '98 - '05 100 Series 4.7 V8 models :confused:

The magnetic switch assembly that holds the contacts is the same part number pre 02 and post. However, in the parts diagrams from 03 on it doesn't break down the switch into the individual components, including the contacts and plunger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom