Started my SOA today--Rear spring options...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to preface this by letting you know I have read almost everything I can find on SOA like 7 times. I just started my SOA today and I was looking for some input on rear springs. I can get a pair of waggys at the local pick & pull. I dont think I will be able to locate a pair of 55 rears for a decent price locally. Any input on running these? Are they too long or did you have to relocate your sping hanges? Did you add or remove any leafs? I do have a set of stock 40s I can use, but I wanted to get something a little longer.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Look at useing a set of rear FJ60 or FJ62 springs...the same length as 55 springs but the pin is in a diffrent positin....and i think that JTO? sells bushing that go inside the 60 springs and use the fj40 bolts....

Stew

XJ leafs are loooonnng. Add 2 leafs to them and they work well with a cruiser (one main leaf and a 2nd leaf) Run them, long side forward and tou add like +6 or 7 inchs to your WB. I have them and had to reversed the shackle mount and they stick out past the frame. My WB is 102 with stock springs up front reversed.

FJ60 springs are a bit wider than 40 springs

Mike-
wow man, now the spring over. shaweet!
60 springs are too wide for the spring mount. You could conceivable grind the spring down a bit I suppose. But then I would also wonder if the military wrap would rub in the mount. You can also just flip your rears to get the axle in the same location as 55 springs. Or, just put the word out that you need some 55 springs, and you might get lucky. Also, Alcan will get you springs in the configuration you want for about $500. Cherokee springs are way long and flexy but youre going to need to make new hangers all the way around for them.

If I were you, I would not stress on longer springs too hard. You can flip the rears you have now, and when you finally find the 55's, your geometry will be set up correctly. Aside from flipping the shackle hanger, it will be a bolt in conversion.

cheer!
Dustin

I have checked out your rig and I like the set up and WB. I might end up doing the XJ springs, I think I should be able to find a set of those for fairly cheap too. But like you say they are way long but from the pics I’ve seen of your rig, they are super flexy. I know you changed the location of the shackle hanger under the bumper, did you change anything on the front mounts for the rear springs?

Thanks, Mike

dustin said:
Mike-
wow man, now the spring over. shaweet!
60 springs are too wide for the spring mount. You could conceivable grind the spring down a bit I suppose. But then I would also wonder if the military wrap would rub in the mount. You can also just flip your rears to get the axle in the same location as 55 springs. Or, just put the word out that you need some 55 springs, and you might get lucky. Also, Alcan will get you springs in the configuration you want for about $500. Cherokee springs are way long and flexy but youre going to need to make new hangers all the way around for them.

If I were you, I would not stress on longer springs too hard. You can flip the rears you have now, and when you finally find the 55's, your geometry will be set up correctly. Aside from flipping the shackle hanger, it will be a bolt in conversion.

cheer!
Dustin

I was thinking that’s what I’m going to do for the moment, but I would like to find something a little longer and get it done while its in a thousand pieces. BTW, I gave Manny those crazy mini hoop arms and your two hub sockets on the 45 run. Also, I will get those other reamed arms back to you here soon too. I think I’m going to go the marlin route for the steering.

Thanks, Mike

With XJ springs you have to run long side forward for them to fit in the stock mount because of the spring eye size. XJ springs are narrower than cruier springs, I just added washers to fill the empty space. The other thing that I had to do was turn down the front mount bolt a little to fit in the spring, not really a big deal. I have been happy with their performance, I actully havn't been able to use all their flex because they max my shocks in both directions. I also need to add spring retainers so they don't fan out like crazy anymore. Make sure you build a good wrap bar because you will warp those bad boyz in a hurry.

Oh and the big plus for me about the xj springs were that they are way long on the long side and very short compairitivly on the short side.

Last edited:
Mike-
Thanks for the box. I've gotta get over to Manny's soon.

For my 55 springs, I didnt do anything on the front hanger, except got bushings to fit the inside diameter on the spring, and the outside diameter on my pins. Be sure to measure the pins diameter before ordering your bushings. For the 55's shackle hanger, we (Farris and Ashley :) ) flipped the hanger around and we welded it.
On the front of my Cruiser, since I have the Butch Lewis PS brackets up front, I was able to locate my front hanger is about 2" further forward than stock.

Marlins arms are pretty bitchen. You will be stoked. Get the 6 lug so you can go big with new knuckes when they come out. Very sweet!

Let me know if you need any help my man. I owe you big time and would be happy to lend a hand!

cheers!
-Dustin

Last edited:
those six bolts are bling, but I might end up using those funds toward lockers, my buddies warn 8274 or a new cage... i hate to do this on a budget but my amount of cruiser dollars is somewhat limited. I'm also in the process of making my saginaw plates and get the ps in. thanks to Georg for hooking me up with the box and pump! :D

You can put '55 springs on your '40 without moving either the spring or shackle hanger. A longer shackle will sit at a very shallow angle. It will ride very smooth and soft and will flex more than a shorter shackle at a steeper angle.

I've got this on the rear of one of my '40s now and will be doing the same on the front as soon as I can get around to it.

Mark...

I tried using a 5.5" shackle and it bottomed out on the hanger. This shackle had the brace in the center of it though. With it bottomed out, it was sitting around 30*. Mark, how long a shackle are you running back there? Seems like its going to need to be nearly 8" long?

cheers-
Dustin

I'd have to go measure it 'cause I don't remember right now. Based on how much longer a set that I just put under another vehicle look to me (and I know the length of these) I would guess that it is about 6 inches or so center to center, but I may be off.

They would be much too long on stock springs where they would be much closer to vertical. With the lay back that they have with these springs they do not increase left much at all.

In fact at one point I had the Pig springs under the rear with these shackles and stock '40 springs with an add-a-leaf and stock shackles under the front. The front end sat higher unless the rig was completely empty The Pig springs and these shackles provided for *about* a stock, unsagged spring height.

I'll see of I can get some picts of the rig/suspension posted later tonight. Nothing exotic about it.

Mark...

no pics to post up at the moment aside from a cruiser on 4 jack stands with no front end and the rear end sitting on the floor of my garage... I will try and get something up when I make some progress...

Dustin, I might want to take you up on the offer for the cut and turn if you have some free time say the weekend after this coming weekend.

I measured the shackles on the back of the rig this evening. I have no idea why you bottomed your's out. Mine are about 5.75 inches center to center. The springs can go completely flat (they're not much beyond that on their own anyway) without hitting the frame.

--------------

Edit: I read again and see that you have a center cross brace in your shackles. I don't use thise. Don't like them. They limit twist in the shackle which limits twist in the spring, which limits articulation. In this case it limits upward/outward shackle travel.

--------------

Since I first installed them I have added a set of Aerostar coils. I tend to carry a lot of weight when I hit the trail (I have an 8 can jerry can rack on the back and when full the weight of the whole bumper/carrier and fuel is about 425-450 pounds... before gear for a few days and tools and parts to lead a group...). Even with the weight savings of the AL tub the tail tends to squat unless I run stiff as hell leafs.

The coils I have in there in combination with these leafs provide a very soft but still firm ride. The height of the spring allows the spring to flex beyond flat and let's it droop as far as it wants too.

The coils add a bit of height to the flat springs. Maybe an inch to inch and a half. So in the pictures there is more arch to the spring and more angle to the shackle than it would have with just the leafs.

But these same shackles worked just fine without the coils.

The shackle hanger is in the stock location as is the spring/frame hanger at the other end.

SHACKLE.jpg

SHAKTIRE.jpg

2SPRINGS.jpg

Mark...

Last edited:
isotel said:
i would just move the rear hanger.. i think the general rule is 45 degrees for best articulation and ride quality..

The shallowest angle you can use without "bottoming" against the frame will give you the softest ride and the most droop.

You have to be careful when sizing the shackle. If it gets close enough to camming over center as the spring approaches full length, it'll flip on over. You have to make it a little longer than what "looks like" will work at first.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom