Starlink satelite internet for WFN setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

llewdis

the bad seed
SILVER Star
Threads
I have a job that allows me flexibility in where I work from and I have been considering outfitting w/starlink internet for backcountry internet access to do remote meetings. I know that sounds (probably) absolutely stupid to most people, but I figure if I can use it to get out on the trails a day or two earlier for longer weekends with the family and do my meetings with the most beautiful office in the world, then it makes sense. Has anyone else considered this option? I am in the process of setting up my dual battery system w/solar and starlink has a portable dish that can be setup wherever as long as you have line of sight to the sky. I am sorely tempted to try this out and see if I can make it a workable solution for getting out on the trails more often or even middle of the week.

Starlink Internet

Let the flaming begin....

Just curious, do already have Starlink? If so, do you like it? I was notified today that our Satalite dish was mailed out today. I’m also in rural CO.

I finally put down my deposit. I’m not on rural CO, and I already have gigabit symmetric internet. So this is purely a luxury buy for me to allow me to be out more often. Post what your experience Is once you get it. I am very interested.

Will do, hope to install it this weekend. We put down our deposit about six months ago.

Ok so I live in BFE Kansas

internet at home is still not an option

Hughes net but your throttled after 2gig and for 100$ a month I’ll pass on 2gigs

very curious to see how this pans out for you guys. Works great on the trails with no issues I’m jumping on this one

kinda tired of the Stone Age at home

We were notified that the dish won’t be delivered until Tuesday. We received all the mounting parts.

we also have Hughs Net, and it’s always slow, we can’t stream. When we go to town, we down load shows and then plug our phones into the TV.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

Still waiting for my beta Starlink....

Starlink has applied to the FCC for mobile use (RV etc), so there should be no technical reason why you can't use it away from your home location. At least for now, Starlink says you are restricted to your home address because they are trying to limit user density based on your geographic location. Several people on youtube have tried it "near" their home addresses, but offgrid with no issues.

The dish should work between 22 and 104 deg F according to Starlink so temperature shouldn't be an issue.

The biggest limitation I can see is that currently Starlink requires 100W of continuous power. Van and RV sized solar arrays should have no problem during sunlight hours. Car/SUV solar arrays are usually 100 to 200W, so you might start running out of power if you need to use it for several days and you don't have ideal sunlight.

Received our Starlink today, as soon as you connect the dish to power, it automatically adjust itself to line up with the satellite. We have it temporarily mounted on the tri-pod it came with.

It’s fast! We are able to FaceTime and YouTube videos plaid immediately. The test app shows we are running at 120 Mbps were Hughs Net was 3.2 Mbps. Hoping once it’s mounted on the roof we pick up more speed. I’ll keep you posted as we test it out. We purchased the following.
1620786260490.jpeg

1620786283675.jpeg

1620786317761.jpeg

Received our Starlink today, as soon as you connect the dish to power, it automatically adjust itself to line up with the satellite. We have it temporarily mounted on the tri-pod it came with.

It’s fast! We are able to FaceTime and YouTube videos plaid immediately. The test app shows we are running at 120 Mbps were Hughs Net was 3.2 Mbps. Hoping once it’s mounted on the roof we pick up more speed. I’ll keep you posted as we test it out. We purchased the following.
View attachment 2671948
View attachment 2671949
View attachment 2671950
Answers I wanted to hear!!!!

pretty sure I’ll be joining you on this one.

then figuring it out for the rig

This is very interesting. I’ve never heard of this system (don’t watch much TV) and while camping with friends the other night in Palo Duro Canyon we saw more than 100 satellites go sailing (looked to be Sw to the NE) overhead. Was a surreal moment and had to question what I had been smoking :).

This is very interesting. I’ve never heard of this system (don’t watch much TV) and while camping with friends the other night in Palo Duro Canyon we saw more than 100 satellites go sailing (looked to be Sw to the NE) overhead. Was a surreal moment and had to question what I had been smoking :).
Been watching them fly over Kansas as well. Didn’t think it was U.S. ready yet so never thought to looking into it.

but I think it’s time, been 8 years no internet, another 3.5 since dropped the tv

Sorry rhah, I didn't get a notification from Mud. I don't think I mentioned kids, mine are grown. But a friend put himself on the waiting list and he is a big gamer. He was inpressed with the speed. He is also rural CO.

An update, I could not connect my IPad 3 or printer to the WiFi. After some research, it turns out they were too old. The fix was to purchase a Netgear mesh router system which fixed the problem and sped up our speed to 315 Mbps. The "mesh" part allows me to get fast WiFi out to my shop which is about 80-100 yards away from the house by using several routers to move along the WiFi, like a chain.

So far the only con is the wife gets kicked off the WiFi every once in while when she is using a VPN on her lap top. But she can instantly log back in. I'm guessing the system can only get better when the skies get more cluttered with satellites.

Also found out the dish has a sensor for snow and will automatically warm up.

Sorry rhah, I didn't get a notification from Mud. I don't think I mentioned kids, mine are grown. But a friend put himself on the waiting list and he is a big gamer. He was inpressed with the speed. He is also rural CO.

An update, I could not connect my IPad 3 or printer to the WiFi. After some research, it turns out they were too old. The fix was to purchase a Netgear mesh router system which fixed the problem and sped up our speed to 315 Mbps. The "mesh" part allows me to get fast WiFi out to my shop which is about 80-100 yards away from the house by using several routers to move along the WiFi, like a chain.

So far the only con is the wife gets kicked off the WiFi every once in while when she is using a VPN on her lap top. But she can instantly log back in. I'm guessing the system can only get better when the skies get more cluttered with satellites.

Also found out the dish has a sensor for snow and will automatically warm up.
Thank you for the reply

not gonna lie it almost sounds to good to be true.

guess I’m signing up now

I totally agree, I’m waiting for something to go wrong. Starlink emailed back asking about our devices and how we fixed the problem. They seem to be wanting all the info so they can fix the issues.

The speed slowed down a bit once we started getting in our devices and streaming but still fast with no issues.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking forward to getting my setup and start testing it in the backcountry.

Great thread, the wife put deposit down on Starlink set up a few months ago for our farm which is good ways from any decent signal. I wasn't aware they were shipping their product yet but this is encouraging for sure.
I was curious how I could try to work remotely some after moving back to the farm next year and this is pleasantly surprising. This also enables me to cruise Mud and will alleviate the withdrawals I have when I can't when down in Oklahoma!

Hi all,

I wanted to bring this thread back up to top instead of creating a new one as it has great info. I too am on the fence about getting Starlink but maybe not for the same reasons as others.

I live in a rural area and the only thing avail to me is Century link twisted pair with a whopping 6meg download and <1meg upload, if i'm lucky. Fiber won't be a reality because everyone is scattered and properly lines aren't exactly straight. CTL won't invest in their super expensive fiber breakout box since we aren't a high density area.

The thing is, I'm actually fine with these slow speeds and able to stream Netflix, Hulu, etc. Yeah, sometimes I have to buffer but meh, it doesn't bother me. Philosophically, I chose to live in a slower lifestyle and do things like haul water to the house, buy propane, maintain culverts, etc. My teenage daughter has other opinions about the bandwidth as you can imagine :rolleyes:

With that said, I'm noticing that the initial cost of Starlink is creeping upwards as well as the monthly subscription fee. I'm working as a 1099 so I could write off the purchase and the monthly fees on my taxes due to working from home for clients. It'd be a decent investment and one that I think I can sell in the future if I don't like it or find something else.

The second thing that has me intrigued is that should I ever decide to work from the boonies while out camping, I could drag all of this junk with me. If Starlink decides to sell a "mobile" package that's smaller and more portable, I'd be all set since I already have an account with them. Do you foresee a trend in this direction?

Just wanted some thoughts on this before taking the plunge.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom