Starlink cable routing from roof (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TreatSmash

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Ok, so I guess I am at a loss.

I am trying to come up with a way to route the cable for my Starlink from the roof of my 2006LC to the rear of the cabin.

Originally I was just going to run it through the rear window as pictured below but when it rained water ran down the cable and leaked into the back of my truck, it doesn't seal tight enough.

The Starlink cable has proprietary ends om them that are prohibitive of routing it through the top half of the tailgate where the center brake light is, I'm not even sure that would be possible anyways.

I really, really do not want to drill through my roof, does anyone have any ideas?

I included some pics to show current set up and to see exactly what I'm working with.
PXL_20230117_032940307.jpg
PXL_20230117_034740158.jpg
PXL_20230117_034732300.jpg
PXL_20230117_041154843.jpg
PXL_20230117_041059578.jpg

I routed the cables for my solar panels down the right side of the rear hatch and then underneath. There’s a plastic access plug there that leads into the rear of the vehicle if you pull the interior panels. Here’s a pic of the work in progress, the cables got fixed in place using cable ties with adhesive mounts. You can see the cables coming into the interior through a notch I cut into the plastic interior panel. Hope this helps.

859FE7E4-0D84-4E6D-AE64-D975065C0250.jpeg

I routed the cables for my solar panels down the right side of the rear hatch and then underneath. There’s a plastic access plug there that leads into the rear of the vehicle if you pull the interior panels. Here’s a pic of the work in progress, the cables got fixed in place using cable ties with adhesive mounts. You can see the cables coming into the interior through a notch I cut into the plastic interior panel. Hope this helps.

View attachment 3221745

Ran a larger set of solar cables in exactly the same way. This works pretty well, and there's enough space for a few of those stick-on zip tie holders if you really want to make sure it does not move.

The route mentioned above is definitely the best way to go if you can. But if you can't for some reason, try adding a drip loop or two to prevent water from running into your rear hatch area. I didn't add a drip loop to my GMRS antenna cable when I initially installed it to a bracket that mounts to some exiting screws in the rear vertical hatch channel. Then after a heavy rain storm, I noticed that my hatch carpet was wet. The water ran down my cable. I fixed my problem by adding a couple of drip loops.

The route mentioned above is definitely the best way to go if you can. But if you can't for some reason, try adding a drip loop or two to prevent water from running into your rear hatch area. I didn't add a drip loop to my GMRS antenna cable when I initially installed it to a bracket that mounts to some exiting screws in the rear vertical hatch channel. Then after a heavy rain storm, I noticed that my hatch carpet was wet. The water ran down my cable. I fixed my problem by adding a couple of drip loops.
I had to google drip link, I think this is what I was looking for.

I will look into routing the cable down the inside of my hatch, but if can;t get it the way I want I think the drip loop will do the trick.

View attachment 3221745
Man I spent a solid 30 minutes looking under my truck trying to figure out how you got that into the cabin.

Its possible I POR15ed over the plug, but I can't find it to save my life, can you please take a pic for me?

Mine is 2006LC , I think yours is LX from the wood trim is it possible I don't have one?

EDIT: Never mind I found it, unfortunately, it's not going to work for me, the way I have my drawers installed plus carpet, plus a layer of killmat it would take me all weekend to run that, plus the cable is exposed under the carriage and I already smash the s*** out of my rear bumper all the time .

Last edited:
The plug is mounted into a vertical surface as you look towards the rear of the vehicle from underneath. It’s about 3.5 inches high by 2 inches wide. Here’s a pic looking straight up at a redarc converter that’s mounted upside down under the rig
8371ACF4-DC35-4774-B5F8-BF825CD845EB.png
. The cables run into two cable glands that are mounted into the plastic plug

I think one can cut the connectors and convert it to CAT6e and use a passthrough connector.
Ok, so I guess I am at a loss.

I am trying to come up with a way to route the cable for my Starlink from the roof of my 2006LC to the rear of the cabin.

Originally I was just going to run it through the rear window as pictured below but when it rained water ran down the cable and leaked into the back of my truck, it doesn't seal tight enough.

The Starlink cable has proprietary ends om them that are prohibitive of routing it through the top half of the tailgate where the center brake light is, I'm not even sure that would be possible anyways.

I really, really do not want to drill through my roof, does anyone have any ideas?

I included some pics to show current set up and to see exactly what I'm working with.
View attachment 3221660View attachment 3221661View attachment 3221662View attachment 3221663View attachment 3221664
Do you leave your antenna up when in motion? How do you like that antenna bracket, is it the one for home installations?

The plug is mounted into a vertical surface as you look towards the rear of the vehicle from underneath. It’s about 3.5 inches high by 2 inches wide. Here’s a pic looking straight up at a redarc converter that’s mounted upside down under the rigView attachment 3225742. The cables run into two cable glands that are mounted into the plastic plug

I think one can cut the connectors and convert it to CAT6e and use a passthrough connector.

Do you leave your antenna up when in motion? How do you like that antenna bracket, is it the one for home installations?
I'll upload some pics when I am done, no I won't be leaving it up, too much wind and its not exactly waterproof.

TreatSmash: I know this is a fairly fresh thread, but wondering how starlink is working for you.

Reason: circling the technology as a way to allow my "always teathered" wife to come on more long term adventures. She's a college professor that runs a bunch of classes w. a lot of zoom meetings. I just rented a system for a mid-feb trial trip near yuma. Any hints would be appreciated :beer:

TreatSmash: I know this is a fairly fresh thread, but wondering how starlink is working for you.

Reason: circling the technology as a way to allow my "always teathered" wife to come on more long term adventures. She's a college professor that runs a bunch of classes w. a lot of zoom meetings. I just rented a system for a mid-feb trial trip near yuma. Any hints would be appreciated :beer:
When I initially got it I tested in my front yard (SC) and it worked great. Was getting about 150 megs.

That's all the update I have right now, because I have been working to figure out how I want to install it.

Once I'm done I'll add some pics with more information.

When I initially got it I tested in my front yard (SC) and it worked great. Was getting about 150 megs.

That's all the update I have right now, because I have been working to figure out how I want to install it.

Once I'm done I'll add some pics with more information.
Any update to the update?

BTW: wife and I are headed east of SoCal (borrego?) for 3-4 days. I rented a starlink RV system to test out. No trees around to interfere. Will report back.

Run it down the winshield on the passenger side. A bit of that plastic conduit fits perfectly in the gap and you can push it in to stay secured. You won't notice it unless you are looking for it.

From there you can sneak through the hood and send it the rubber grommet on the firewall on passenger side, plenty of space but those starlink ends are a bit wide. Run it down the door frame channel to the rear from there.

It's a round about way of doing it but that is how I have my roof lights powered and it doesn't risk any water getting into the cab.

>>What are you using to power the setup?

I have seen several like it, so far I haven't mustered the guts to cut off the back of my dish.
Pretty sure they make a RV version now that is flat and made for staying mounted. Holy chit, $2500 for the hardware + $135 a month. I don't need internet that bad lol

1675782061520.png

1675782493319.png

Last edited:
Any update to the update?

BTW: wife and I are headed east of SoCal (borrego?) for 3-4 days. I rented a starlink RV system to test out. No trees around to interfere. Will report back.
I got the cable routed, and I did it using the proprietary cable. But the project isn't quite done yet, I'm waiting on some more parts.
I'll probably be able to finish it by this weekend and I will throw up some pictures.

Run it down the winshield on the passenger side. A bit of that plastic conduit fits perfectly in the gap and you can push it in to stay secured. You won't notice it unless you are looking for it.

From there you can sneak through the hood and send it the rubber grommet on the firewall on passenger side, plenty of space but those starlink ends are a bit wide. Run it down the door frame channel to the rear from there.

It's a round about way of doing it but that is how I have my roof lights powered and it doesn't risk any water getting into the cab.

>>What are you using to power the setup?
That's incredibly too involved. And both of those gaps on my windshields are already full of cables from my lights and solar.

Either way, I found a way to route it through the upper part of the hatch and the back, I'm powering it with a goal zero 1500 with car link.

That's incredibly too involved. And both of those gaps on my windshields are already full of cables from my lights and solar.

Either way, I found a way to route it through the upper part of the hatch and the back, I'm powering it with a goal zero 1500 with car link.
lol that's incredibly too involved? Your mounting a satellite dish to your roof, I figured running a cable through the interior of the vehicle would have been pretty straight forward.

lol that's incredibly too involved? Your mounting a satellite dish to your roof, I figured running a cable through the interior of the vehicle would have been pretty straight forward.
Yeah but you have me running it from the back all the way to the front then down into the engine bay, through the firewall, and then all the way back to the back again.

With those huge proprietary plugs that just is too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom