Stalling on Steep Rocks-Will new carb help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 85 runs fine on flatland and even does good climbing steep hills. But it seems that whenever I get up on a big obstacle and need some power it will stall.

I end up having to use the choke to keep an idle until I'm off.

I have had to remove the carb and clean it a few times because of junk/rust/something getting past the filter. It always runs great afterwards but the stall issue remains.

Some have said that the float may be the issue. Its such a pain to remove/replace the carb that I'm ready to just get a new one, perhaps the aftermarket one that trollhole is selling.

So, question is:
Is it likely that a carb replacement will help the stalling at incline or is it inherent to Carb'd trucks.

*BTW, I want to desmog as well, therefore the Trollhole carb choice.

Thanks Guys

It's partially both. Varying degrees of stumbling on steep angles is inherent to carbs, but your current float level could be affecting that either positively or negatively. To what degree depends on what float level you currently have vs what level the replacement carb's float will be set at. If you're gonna desmog anyway, well then that tips the scales, naturally.

It's partially both. Varying degrees of stumbling on steep angles is inherent to carbs, but your current float level could be affecting that either positively or negatively. To what degree depends on what float level you currently have vs what level the replacement carb's float will be set at. If you're gonna desmog anyway, well then that tips the scales, naturally.

Thanks
Yes the availability, price, and reviews of the Carb that Trollhole is selling have me ready for the de-smog. I've been on the fence til now.

If i understand your last sentence, I might as well go for the desmog carb and may get the added benefit of helping the stall issue.

Have you adjusted the float? My mini truck 22r has always struggled with steep inclines, but my 60 hasn't stalled on me once, not even stumbled (stock aisin carb).

Have you adjusted the float? My mini truck 22r has always struggled with steep inclines, but my 60 hasn't stalled on me once, not even stumbled (stock aisin carb).

No I have not tried to adjust. I have had the carb off and cleaned jets etc a few times. Replaced the float pin/cutoff? from the carb kit. But didnt mess with adjust since the fuel level "seems" to be in the middle of the window.

Thanks

i wish i had not desmogged my performance is marginally better but i feel like i have bastardized my ride with a weber. i will eventually go back to stock toyota spent a lot of $ designing the system if everything is functioning properly it works well. just my .02 :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom