Stall And Startup Issues After HG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I did the whole top end rebuild thinking I had a stuck valve, it was the HG. Injectors cleaned, valves adjusted, all the bonuses. Battery died after sitting out while I slowly did the job, wouldn't hold a charge. Then alternator went, so I put another used one in it with fresh brushes.

Through all that, after the HG of course, I had it started and running several times without any starting issues beyond the dead battery. Other than the 'alternator is toast' idiot light combo, it didn't have any issues running either.

Well after replacing the alternator, no discharge problems, but now It idles too low and eventually stalls.

It's not just the ECU relearning all its altitude settings and whatnot. It starts up, runs at about regular idle for a short while, then drops to about ~500rpm, then slowly sputters itself to its death.

The key component I'm thinking here for diagnosis, is that after it stalls, if I try to restart it I can't get combustion. The starter will crank for eternity, but it won't actually turn over and run. The ONLY way to get it started is to open the throttle pretty wide with the accelerator pedal then start it.

That would lead me to assume its an air issue. It will run (albeit with a bit of fluctuation in rpm) above idle, so it's obviously got fuel and spark.

Resetting the ECU again had no effect on the problem.

In the process of writing this I've decided my guess is the IAC valve. Any other guesses that don't involve overly expensive parts?

And the throttle body has been cleaned, though I didn't disassemble it for cleaning.

Is the check engine light on? If not, you might consider running it until it comes on as it will provide useful information about the fault.

No check engine light, it just dies. Its a 93 so its got OBD1's less sophisticated problem detection.

I'll also add that turning it off before it stalls will let me fire it right back up. Letting it stall is what makes it so it wont start without the accelerator pedal pushed down.

update: This all happened yesterday, went and played with it a bit more just now and it seems to have remedied itself. Stalled a few times at first but seems to have gotten itself fine. Idles a tad lower than I'd like at about 620rpm, little bit shaky, but otherwise good. Perhaps it was just the ECU learning, though it doesn't seem to explain the no-start issue...

Either way, I'll take the good fortune and maybe I can drive this thing again soon. Or perhaps its engine temperature related and I'll have a bummer tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom