Stainless Steel Windshield/Doors/Hood/Amby FJ40 Hinge Pins with Bronze Bushings. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pins all installed! Look great and pivot smoothly!
20221002_181117.jpg
20221002_181125.jpg

20221002_181131.jpg
20221002_181136.jpg

Thank you!!

I have new Toyota hood and door hinges for my 76'. My originals are in pretty rough shape everywhere, including the ambulance doors. Which are not available new.

My plan is next winter my forty is going to be disassembled for bodywork and paint.

Question(s):
-Does it make sense to just re-bush the brand new hinges along with the ambulance doors?
-Is there an advantage of this over the oem design?
-Is it easier to split the hinge for door & top removal? Thereby preserving alignment and making that process a little easier?

I might be in just because everything will match?

Reactions: SMG
I have new Toyota hood and door hinges for my 76'. My originals are in pretty rough shape everywhere, including the ambulance doors. Which are not available new.

My plan is next winter my forty is going to be disassembled for bodywork and paint.

Question(s):
-Does it make sense to just re-bush the brand new hinges along with the ambulance doors?
-Is there an advantage of this over the oem design?
-Is it easier to split the hinge for door & top removal? Thereby preserving alignment and making that process a little easier?

I might be in just because everything will match?

I know I’m bias on the subject, but I highly recommend my pins and bushings over stock.

The obvious reasons are:

Impregnated Bronze vs plastic? Mine will wear in much better and keep your doors and hood from rattling/squeaking. They also will last much longer than the stock ones. The stock plastic ones seem to dry/crack over time.

Stainless Pins vs Reg Steel? Mine will help with corrosion and if installed properly (with a thin layer of grease) can be removed easily. Once the stock pins start to corrode/pit they can be a real pain to remove, not to mention the rusty streaking when exposed to water.

How bad are your original hinge frames? More than likely they can be saved, These were originally stamped out from the factory and were never perfect by any means. A little sandblasting goes along way. Just make sure if you disassemble the frames, that you keep them as a matched set.

Whatever you decide (new or old), It’s best to disassemble each frame set before paint.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks
Steve

How bad are your original hinge frames?

I'm thinking the hood hinges are toast. They are really worn.

Windshield hinges are probably fine, but are an unknown. I have not tried to manipulate them.

Door hinges are worn, but not horrifically so.

Same with the ambulance doors, worn but not terrible.

I'll shoot you a message

Any chance I can buy a couple ends only? I just noticed I lost one on one of my door pin ends.

Happy Easter Everyone!
Hi. Did you ever get around to making replacement pins for the tire carrier? And is it possible to make custom bushings? My door hinges have worn past the stock plastic bushings. When I installed your replacement pins and bushings. there was play between the bushings and hinge.
thanks again.

Yes, I’ll send you a PM shortly
Thanks for the quick turnaround. These are the best quick hinges on the market. Great product and support.

PXL_20230515_201128947.jpg

Hi. Did you ever get around to making replacement pins for the tire carrier? And is it possible to make custom bushings? My door hinges have worn past the stock plastic bushings. When I installed your replacement pins and bushings. there was play between the bushings and hinge.
thanks again.
Currently I am not making tire carrier pins. Maybe later in the year as my regular work slows down.

As for you door hinge frame being worn. You can always pot in the bronze bushings with JB weld. Being that they are impregnated bronze, the JB weld won’t stick to the bronze like it will steel.

Apply a small amount in the hinge frame bore where the bushing sits then install the bushing. Use a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol to clean the bushing as best as you can. Wait for it to completely cure before you assembly.

Currently I am not making tire carrier pins. Maybe later in the year as my regular work slows down.

As for you door hinge frame being worn. You can always pot in the bronze bushings with JB weld. Being that they are impregnated bronze, the JB weld won’t stick to the bronze like it will steel.

Apply a small amount in the hinge frame bore where the bushing sits then install the bushing. Use a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol to clean the bushing as best as you can. Wait for it to completely cure before you assembly.
Perfect. Thank you. You’re the best! I definitely recommend your replacement pins for everyone rebuilding any 40 series.

Reactions: SMG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom