Stainless Steel Windshield/Doors/Hood/Amby FJ40 Hinge Pins with Bronze Bushings. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes. PM sent.

Thanks
Do i need to shave off the thickness of the bushing shoulder from the male hinge? Tried to get these to go in between the female hinge but its damaging the shoulders of the bushings....

image.jpg

Do i need to shave off the thickness of the bushing shoulder from the male hinge? Tried to get these to go in between the female hinge but its damaging the shoulders of the bushings....

View attachment 2997018
The opening in the female half of the hinge was about 1/16” too small ( +/- 1/64 or so), so i took my tome carefully facing the inside of the female half with a file and a grinder until it would slide over the shoulders of the bushings with a small amount of force by hand. This door is SOLID! Stoked to eliminate one point of rattling.

40F9FEE3-DD3F-4206-8D32-76DF327C8243.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Whatever you do, DO NOT attempt this work without this tool, thanks to @wngrog for sharing his secrets.

image.jpg

So a couple days on the road with the non-rattling barn doors, and wow, what an absolute worthwhile upgrade. Probably the best non-safety/mechanical upgrade I've done. These things should be at the top of your "nice to have" list - my barn doors functioned perfectly prior, so I didn't REALLY need these. Be forewarned, once you eliminate the rattles from the barn doors, you're going to want to throw that OEM tire carrier in the scrap pile and buy a 4+ non-rattle unit.

So a couple days on the road with the non-rattling barn doors, and wow, what an absolute worthwhile upgrade. Probably the best non-safety/mechanical upgrade I've done. These things should be at the top of your "nice to have" list - my barn doors functioned perfectly prior, so I didn't REALLY need these. Be forewarned, once you eliminate the rattles from the barn doors, you're going to want to throw that OEM tire carrier in the scrap pile and buy a 4+ non-rattle unit.
Thanks for the nice review. I’m glad you are happy with my product!

Send me a pm on the door hingecset for my 73 please

Reactions: SMG
I installed SMG's front door hinge pins and bushings yesterday, and drove it to work today. WOW!!! So cool that the doors no longer rattle! I live on a dirt road and every little bump was accompanied by noise. Now all I hear is the creaking of the rear leaf springs when I go over bumps :D . I assembled the right side with some spray lube, which worked okay, but I got a Q-tip and put assembly lube on all surfaces and inside the bushings for the driver side, that made assembly even easier. I followed the directions in this thread about cleaning out the hinges with a drill bit. I didn't have to do the trick with the figure 8's on the sandpaper, it went together without any modification. It was TIGHT, but it's just like the upholstery guys say, tight is right! Another satisfied customer! Everyone should get some of these... thank you @SMG for a wonderful product!

SMGHinge.jpg

SMGWrapper.jpg

I installed SMG's front door hinge pins and bushings yesterday, and drove it to work today. WOW!!! So cool that the doors no longer rattle! I live on a dirt road and every little bump was accompanied by noise. Now all I hear is the creaking of the rear leaf springs when I go over bumps :D . I assembled the right side with some spray lube, which worked okay, but I got a Q-tip and put assembly lube on all surfaces and inside the bushings for the driver side, that made assembly even easier. I followed the directions in this thread about cleaning out the hinges with a drill bit. I didn't have to do the trick with the figure 8's on the sandpaper, it went together without any modification. It was TIGHT, but it's just like the upholstery guys say, tight is right! Another satisfied customer! Everyone should get some of these... thank you @SMG for a wonderful product!

View attachment 3024049

View attachment 3024050
Thanks for the nice comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom