Squealing Pig - Solved! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I could use some guidance on a loud squeal coming from the front right wheel of my '76 FJ40.

This is a frame off resto and today was the first test drive around the neighborhood. Axles were redone and bearings were replaced. I have new brakes all the way around - discs in front, drums in rear.

When I first drove off, it was fine, but very soon after that, a loud high-pitched squeal starting coming from the right front wheel. It's the same backing up and moving forward, hubs locked/unlocked, H2 or H4, slow speed or fast...

It happens when the truck is rolling, regardless of what the engine/transmission is doing, and it's constant throughout the wheel revolution.

The only time it quiets down is when I'm turning the wheel hard to the left or when I have the brakes down almost to a stop.

I've jacked the front end up a couple times after driving, and spun the wheels. There are no squeals or scraping sounds.

All fluids have been drained and refilled properly.

I had a friend walk outside the truck and pinpointed the right front wheel.

Video here: Mud - https://photos.app.goo.gl/tkGzCuvNPeEKM63k8

Any ideas what to check?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mine does this on and off. More like squeaking . Can get quite loud. I have a hunch it's a brass spindle bushing, worn or dried out. Does the squealing hub feel hotter than the other side?

Mine does this on and off. More like squeaking . Can get quite loud. I have a hunch it's a brass spindle bushing, worn or dried out. Does the squealing hub feel hotter than the other side?
Thanks. Mine is a constant high-pitched squeal. The hubs both felt cool, but I didn't run it very long.

I've jacked the front end up a couple times after driving, and spun the wheels. There are no squeals or scraping
So, you can't reproduce the sound with the wheel off the ground?
It only makes the sound with weight on the wheel...
Spindle bushing might be it

So, you can't reproduce the sound with the wheel off the ground?
It only makes the sound with weight on the wheel...
Spindle bushing might be it
Correct. I can’t get any noise off the ground. I initially thought brake squeal, but it would happen off the ground.

Thanks.

From the posts, I am planning to look at the spindle bushing.

I have a video link here where you can hear the sound loud and clear!

Spindle bushing ? , think thru that, only when birf is turnin, and he said it happens in 2wd, NOW, wheel bearing possibly or disc drag on pads in caliper, I'd check wheel bearings and brake stuff can be seen as is so thats an easy check. Are the tie rod ends rubbing the rim ?

Spindle bushing ? , think thru that, only when birf is turnin, and he said it happens in 2wd, NOW, wheel bearing possibly or disc drag on pads in caliper, I'd check wheel bearings and brake stuff can be seen as is so thats an easy check. Are the tie rod ends rubbing the rim ?
Interesting thoughts. I replaced the tie rods ends and haven't really aligned them to the right spot yet. I didn't see any scrapes on the wheels though. I didn't have any noise from the bushings when I tore the truck down - in 2006! I'll check easy stuff first. Much appreciated.

Pull the caliper and inspect if something is wedged in one of the pads?
Somebody mentioned the dust shield rubbing. That seems awefully likely.

I'm grasping here, but it sure sound's like a brake noise to me.

Weird that it only makes the horrendous sound with weight on the wheel.

Check the wheel bearings. Get the tire off the ground and grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock and see if it wobbles. Then pull the rim and inspect. Sounds like a brake squeal. Push back the brake pads so they are loose and away from the rotor. Dont touch the brake pedal and move it back and forth like in the video without touching the brake and see if the noise goes away. If it only happens with weight on the ground, loose bearings could be forcing the rotor into the pad. The pads or rotors could have impurities like grease on them.

Thanks to everyone who replied on this. I finally dug into it today ready to check wheel bearings and spindle bushings, but went for simple stuff first checking the brakes. There wasn't any anti-squeal grease on the back of the pads, so I did that first, and also checked for binding calipers, but no change.

Then I looked at the hydraulic junction that goes from the flex line to the hard line. I noticed the dust shield dips in quite a bit at 2 of the 3 bolts, so on a whim, I backed both nuts off and the problem was solved!

Replaced with some shorter bolts, and life is good.

IMG-8229.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom