Squeaks and Squawks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 98 LC for about a year now and I love it! It's got about 276,000 miles on it and runs perfect!

I pull a 6x12 covered trailer twice a week for our church. Fully loaded - it weighs about 2,000 to 2,500 lbs. The Cruiser pulls it just fine - however, over the course of the last 6 months, it's developed a constant squeaking and squawking.

The squeaking and squawking is getting bad enough that just getting into the rig causes it to squeal in agony (I'm about 205 - so I hope that's not the reason).

Anyways - my wife wants me to upgrade to a pickup (Silverado - ugh) - but I hate that idea. So - I could use some advice as to what to look for.

I'm not that good at fixing things and I don't have that many tools - so if it's harder then unscrewing bolts and hammering things in and out of place, I'm probably going to have to get some outside help.

Where should I start looking and what should I start trying to replace to fix the squeaking and squawking?

I don't know how other people do it, but this is how I do it. If you can make the noise with the vehicle parked, have your wife or someone else stand on the running board or in the door sill and bounce up and down, while you bend down and listen at all 4 corners. Try to pinpoint the sound.

For suspension noises you can hear while moving, I find a speed bump in a low-traffic parking lot, and hang my head out the window while going at the minimum speed that makes the sound. If necessary I'll have my wife drive while I hang listen out different windows, and/or I'll stand nearby and listen.

Then it's a matter of laying eyes on the suspension parts to see if anything looks obviously worn out. You can also disconnect the sway bars (easily done with a basic socket set) and see if the sound is still there, to eliminate or confirm sway bar bushings as the culprit. At this point if I can't figure out what's wrong, I start with the cheapest or easiest-to-replace parts, and start replacing things. Or I'll take it to a shop and have them diagnose it, then replace the parts myself.

I recently fixed a funny sound by replacing my front shocks. It was relatively simple, I didn't even have to jack it up or take the wheels off.

I'm the guy that leans out of the window for ever to find noises too. I can't stand them. I would follow oakback's suggestions up until the replacement part. Buy yourself some dry lube spray with Teflon. If you pinpoint a noise or see something that looks off, spray it down and try to duplicate the noise. If the noise continues, take note of what you have tried and move on to the next probable cause. Keep going until the lube quiets the noise. Then you know exactly your problem and you haven't replaced anything extra. Keep in mind that you may need to release the load to get the lube in the right spot. (that sounded dirty) Be generous with the lube as well. You can get it at Home Depot for like $5. Just make sure to go one part at a time. If you can't get it to quiet down with the lube then by all means start replacing away!!! Good luck!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, DO NOT USE WD-40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
That edit "Do not use WD-40" saved me - I was going to try that in the morning... I'll be sure to get the right stuff. I had my wife bouncing up and down on the rig this afternoon - and I've narrowed it down to the front. I'll get the right kind of spray and start trying to pinpoint what's going on. Thanks for the advice!

I'm the guy that leans out of the window for ever to find noises too. I can't stand them. I would follow oakback's suggestions up until the replacement part. Buy yourself some dry lube spray with Teflon. If you pinpoint a noise or see something that looks off, spray it down and try to duplicate the noise. If the noise continues, take note of what you have tried and move on to the next probable cause. Keep going until the lube quiets the noise. Then you know exactly your problem and you haven't replaced anything extra. Keep in mind that you may need to release the load to get the lube in the right spot. (that sounded dirty) Be generous with the lube as well. You can get it at Home Depot for like $5. Just make sure to go one part at a time. If you can't get it to quiet down with the lube then by all means start replacing away!!! Good luck!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, DO NOT USE WD-40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great suggestion, I'm going to do that next time.

What about silicone lube? I've got a spray can of that laying around.

If it's coming from the front, top shock nuts are a very common source of squeaks. Easy to check.

Is there a common source for the rear? My rear/right just started squeaking on compression coming off of speed bumps.

Great suggestion, I'm going to do that next time.

What about silicone lube? I've got a spray can of that laying around.

Most silicone lubes will not really damage anything but make sure that there are no solvents or oils of any kind in it before you use it. Also, the "wet" lubes tend to push out whatever grease you have there already so I try to stick to the dry lubes for this kind of stuff. Also be VERY careful when spraying silicone lube anywhere near your brakes. That stuff is persistent!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom