Squeaking noise coming from front drivers side suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dannyLX

SILVER Star
Threads
My 04 LX470 with AHC has this strange noise coming from the front drivers side suspension tower when going over speed bumps and pretty much anything that requires a decent amount suspension travel. Upper control arms have been replaced. Does anyone have an idea as to what this might be? Thanks!

Sounds like the shocks needs replacing?

Thats what I'm thinking but I would want to get a solid guess before I take it to Lexus. Lexus misdiagnosed me last time and said it was the upper control arms. Although the boots on them were torn replacing them clearly didn't solve the problem. Since Lexus is incompetent when working on these trucks nowadays I'm trying to figure it out beforehand. Anyway I could for sure test if its the shock?

Did you push down on the front yourself?

I'd guess it's the lower control arm bushings. If you've already changed the uppers that's about the only option. If the AHC shocks were in that bad of shape I'd say think they'd be leaking.

The noise was due to the bushings in the lower control arms. I applied silicone-based WD-40 to the lower control arm bushings, which noticeably reduced the noise as a temporary fix. From my understanding they are a couple of options to address this: A) Apply silicone WD-40 to the three bushings in the lower control arm for temporary relief B) Replace the bushings in the control arm C) Replace the entire control arm

There are 3 "moving" parts in the LCA:

1) the ball joint (which can squeak)
2) the front bushing, which is pressed into the arm
3) the rear bushing, which is pressed into the frame

You can buy the LCA pre-assembled from Cruiser Outfitters (BJ and front bushing pre-installed). Then buy the rear bushing separately. Or buy all 3 separately and refurb existing LCA.

LCA

Spraying silicone lube on LCA bushings, eliminating sound. Would indicate issue with those bushings. But I'd be looking at more, as we've many moving parts. If LCA bushing that bad, likely more going on.

It very difficult to listen to a short sound clip, and make a call. Since there's many moving parts in front end. Even a loose part unrelated to suspension, can produce sound, such as; skids, bumper, exhaust heat shield, etc.

I'd want to know, a little about history and any build. First, any accidents in history. Since I so often find, where a body shop assembled front end suspension components improperly. I've also seen some aftermarket skids rub and creak. Were poly bushings installed, they're make sounds.

We also have the stabilizer links & bar bushings. The lower bushing wears, and we end up with metal to metal (link to its bracket in LCA).

More common sound over speed bump or dips, in front end. Is Lower Ball Joints (LBJ). These fail at around 250K miles. Earlier if bad steering rack bushing.
This is late stage LBJ failure.

Early stage of failure. Any movement they're failing and need replacing.

Note: All front end bushings, if its bolt/nut ever loosened. Needs torqued to spec, with suspension at neutral stance (weight of vehicle on tires). Most every 100 series I work on. That has had, any front end bushings bolt loosened. Be incidental to some other work or replacement of a bushing (shocks, links, control arms). Has not been set correctly. Almost every shop, does the work while on a lift, where the suspension is fully extended (tire dangling). This result in early failure, due to constant stress on rubber of bushing.

Spraying silicone lube on LCA bushings, eliminating sound. Would indicate issue with those bushings. But I'd be looking at more, as we've many moving parts. If LCA bushing that bad, likely more going on.

It very difficult to listen to a short sound clip, and make a call. Since there's many moving parts in front end. Even a loose part unrelated to suspension, can produce sound, such as; skids, bumper, exhaust heat shield, etc.

I'd want to know, a little about history and any build. First, any accidents in history. Since I so often find, where a body shop assembled front end suspension components improperly. I've also seen some aftermarket skids rub and creak. Were poly bushings installed, they're make sounds.

We also have the stabilizer links & bar bushings. The lower bushing wears, and we end up with metal to metal (link to its bracket in LCA).

More common sound over speed bump or dips, in front end. Is Lower Ball Joints (LBJ). These fail at around 250K miles. Earlier if bad steering rack bushing.
This is late stage LBJ failure.

Early stage of failure. Any movement they're failing and need replacing.

Note: All front end bushings, if its bolt/nut ever loosened. Needs torqued to spec, with suspension at neutral stance (weight of vehicle on tires). Most every 100 series I work on. That has had, any front end bushings bolt loosened. Be incidental to some other work or replacement of a bushing (shocks, links, control arms). Has not been set correctly. Almost every shop, does the work while on a lift, where the suspension is fully extended (tire dangling). This result in early failure, due to constant stress on rubber of bushing.

I jacked the vehicle up and with a pry bar manipulated the tire to check for play in the ball joints, I did not see any. I rebooted both upper and lower BJs. Tie rod boots seem okay, my sway bar bushings are all cracked and I have new bushings and links that I am going to replace them with. I will spray some silicone lube on LCA bushings to see if that eliminates the sounds, if so I know I need to replace them this summer. All original bushings except steering rack which was replaced with OEM @180k, 291k miles currently. None of the bushings look to be in bad condition on either control arms or suspension components.

I have 33" tires, standard AHC. All front end work has been done by me and according to spec, most recent work was changing pads.

The sound is annoying, even getting out of the car it will make a creaking/squeaking noise.

Sounds like my knees! (sorry, could not resist). I have similar noise on my 2003.

Sounds like my knees! (sorry, could not resist). I have similar noise on my 2003.
Recently developed driver side squeak when suspension would compress. The squeak progressed to steering as well. Became terribly annoying. A friend suspected upper ball joint, I suspected lower. Chose to replace UCAs first as I wanted to replace them with aftermarket anyway. Squeak remained. Replaced LCAs (bushings and BJ included) and finally silence. My bushings looked good so I suspect it was BJ.
UCAs were a relatively simple job. LCAs were another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom