Unknown squeak after turning off the engine... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I turn off the engine after driving for a bit I started hearing this squeak from the engine bay. It sound like some dry door or valve closing. Sound is very short, about 1 s. My j100 is from 2001 with 4.2D. Anyone have a clue?

It could be something behind the dashboard. Lots of electrically operated valves back there. though I'd expect most would remain in their last-selected position when the engine is turned off.

Could also be the engine cooling fan which keeps sinning after the engine is turned off.

Mine does that... It's the antenna retracting.
No antena in mine (un)fortunately
It could be something behind the dashboard. Lots of electrically operated valves back there. though I'd expect most would remain in their last-selected position when the engine is turned off.

Could also be the engine cooling fan which keeps sinning after the engine is turned off.

Hm, I would imagine cooling fan would make a longer sound, but could be. Ill check that.

Not to hijack, but I have a similar sound from the engine bay on shutoff. It is sometimes quiet, sometimes a little louder and sounds like a “boing” of a low-pitched spring for maybe two seconds. My worry is that it’s quite near the drivers side on the firewall - fearing a brake issue.

Not to hijack, but I have a similar sound from the engine bay on shutoff. It is sometimes quiet, sometimes a little louder and sounds like a “boing” of a low-pitched spring for maybe two seconds. My worry is that it’s quite near the drivers side on the firewall - fearing a brake issue.
Well... sorry to say, but I have the notorious brake unit issue and it started appearing shortly after this sound started appearing, though the car is new to me so I am not sure of this is related. However mine doesn't sound like a spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom