SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF!

Ha! I didn’t know such a product existed. Perfect. Thank you.

KLF is gonna rock ya!
3AM eternal!

(At least I am assuming you picked your handle because you like the band KLF)
KLF are my initials, sorry.

Zip tape is crazy sticky, sticks to anything, even wet stuff. The stretch version is amazing, but not meant to come off.

KLF are my initials, sorry.

Zip tape is crazy sticky, sticks to anything, even wet stuff. The stretch version is amazing, but not meant to come off.
Ah. Good to know about the zip tape. But I suppose it would be easy enough to slice away should I care to remove it or need to push some other wire through that hole.

And yeah, I presumed not too many people on this forum picked their name from 90’s techno bands. So I was kidding.
But all the same, it’s cool that your initials match a fun band/song like that.
Hopefully you bug the ones you love by constantly playing their one big hit.

Had the hood open today and noticed this strip wasn't attached all the way across. Seems stretched, as the holes don't line up with the tabs for it. 2018 LC
A. Any idea what would cause this?
B. Anyone know a part # so I can order a new one.

20240415_175051.jpg

20240415_175115.jpg

20240415_175606.jpg

Had the hood open today and noticed this strip wasn't attached all the way across. Seems stretched, as the holes don't line up with the tabs for it. 2018 LC
A. Any idea what would cause this?
B. Anyone know a part # so I can order a new one.

View attachment 3608100

View attachment 3608101

View attachment 3608102
Mine also is stretched in length, no longer fits the hooks. I blamed it on the NHOU oiling on the hood that is still dripping out 2 years later. Doesn't seem to be the case for you though.

Here’s my Stupid Question: Recently moved from a 100 Series to a 2016 200 Series. Did my first oil change a month or so ago and struggled to remove the oil filter housing. The tech at the dealership that did the change previously really got it way too tight. I ended up having to use a breaker bar to get it loose. When I reinstalled it, I snugged it up and aligned the tabs on filter housing to the tab on the base. My wife drives a 4Runner, and her filter housing has a small metal spring clip on the side that aligns to the base.

Question is: is the Land Cruiser housing supposed to have a metal spring clip? If so, can you buy it separately? I bought a new housing since I know it’s plastic and the old one was over tightened. The new one I bought doesn’t have a spring clip.

Wife’s 4Runner housing with the spring clip.

IMG_1848.jpeg

Here’s my Stupid Question: Recently moved from a 100 Series to a 2016 200 Series. Did my first oil change a month or so ago and struggled to remove the oil filter housing. The tech at the dealership that did the change previously really got it way too tight. I ended up having to use a breaker bar to get it loose. When I reinstalled it, I snugged it up and aligned the tabs on filter housing to the tab on the base. My wife drives a 4Runner, and her filter housing has a small metal spring clip on the side that aligns to the base.

Question is: is the Land Cruiser housing supposed to have a metal spring clip? If so, can you buy it separately? I bought a new housing since I know it’s plastic and the old one was over tightened. The new one I bought doesn’t have a spring clip.

Wife’s 4Runner housing with the spring clip.

View attachment 3612056
On the cruiser it’s on the metal housing not the cap. Yes it may be missing but if it’s properly torqued it won’t back off anyway.

Also look into the metal “venza” oil filter cap to replace your plastic one. You’ll have to move a part of your plastic cap over, but it’s a much less fragile option and factory Toyota so you know the quality is there. Also not very expensive.

Also look into the metal “venza” oil filter cap to replace your plastic one. You’ll have to move a part of your plastic cap over, but it’s a much less fragile option and factory Toyota so you know the quality is there. Also not very expensive.

I've been back and forth on this.

With how tucked up the oil filter is on the cruiser, there would be more serious issues before the plastic cap could be an issue. I think I'd rather have the plastic cap fail as a failure mode than anything else upstream.

Regarding the 3UR-FE oil filter cap I would recommend using the OEM plastic version and a proper tool to remove it like the one from Motivx, because I rather not cross thread the engine side. In case your existing plastic one is damaged, replace it with one bought directly from Toyota, so it is OEM.

I know this is against many owners who like the Venza aluminum/light alloy style or other after market version of the same, so shoot me down if you like. I am not changing my mind on this one. Like TeCKis300, I rather have the plastic cap get damaged.

Good luck with the choices around this!

Last edited:
Regarding the 3UR-FE oil filter cap I would recommend using the OEM plastic version and a proper tool to remove it like the one from Motivx, because I rather not cross thread the engine side. In case your existing plastic one is damaged, replace it with one bought directly from Toyota, so it is OEM.

I know this is against many owners who like the Venza aluminum/light alloy style or other after market version of the same, so shoot me down if you like. I am not changing my mind on this one. Like TeCKis300, I rather have the plastic cap get damaged.

Good luck with the choices around this!

I like where you're heads at

1713651230119.png

I've been back and forth on this.

With how tucked up the oil filter is on the cruiser, there would be more serious issues before the plastic cap could be an issue. I think I'd rather have the plastic cap fail as a failure mode than anything else upstream.

In theory I agree, but I’ve seen too many get stuck and must be destroyed to get them off to trust the polymer, even as someone who rarely touches his vehicle without a torque wrench. Every once in a while I must pay someone for an oil change mid-roadtrip. I’m not going to let those excursions present problems when I return to normally scheduled maintenance.

Plus plastic can degrade from heat and chemical exposure much more quickly than aluminum.

After 20 oil changes on mine I’m also not concerned with crossthreading at all. The thread pitch for this diameter prevents it, not to mention hand threading it past the point the oring touches down. Hopefully said oil change guys don’t start threading mine with an impact gun..

In theory I agree, but I’ve seen too many get stuck and must be destroyed to get them off to trust the polymer, even as someone who rarely touches his vehicle without a torque wrench. Every once in a while I must pay someone for an oil change mid-roadtrip. I’m not going to let those excursions present problems when I return to normally scheduled maintenance.

Plus plastic can degrade from heat and chemical exposure much more quickly than aluminum.

After 20 oil changes on mine I’m also not concerned with crossthreading at all. The thread pitch for this diameter prevents it, not to mention hand threading it past the point the oring touches down. Hopefully said oil change guys don’t start threading mine with an impact gun..

Created a playground for this topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom