Spring spacer install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As someone who will be doing this if a few weeks, you're writeup is very welcome. One question though, could you take the factory jack and use that to push the axle down?

Probably, yes. Just have to find a good spot between the axle and something solid on the truck.

All y'all be careful with your jacks, jack stands, and swearing at inanimate objects. Nobody likes a truck falling off jack stands.

Probably, yes. Just have to find a good spot between the axle and something solid on the truck.

All y'all be careful with your jacks, jack stands, and swearing at inanimate objects. Nobody likes a truck falling off jack stands.
You might could use the jack, but likely not effectively? The axle is a long ways down, and the frame arches up there, plus the angles get weird and there isn't a convenient flat spot on top of the axle to use. I second the "be careful" sentiment. Since I'm almost always working by myself, I go slow, triple check things, and use 12 ton jack stands anytime the cruiser is off the ground. No such thing as overkill when it comes to my personal safety.

I used Robs list from post #18 as I installed a set of 30mm coils today that I picked up from Slee, I thought I'd post up a few tips while they're fresh in my mind.

• Get the vehicle up HIGH as you can. I maxed my jack out then used large stands to hold the frame. HIGH, like I repositioned my 100 so it would clear the garage door opener.
  • Disconnect the sway bar at both end links (14mm) and rotate the bar down 90*
  • Remove the lower shock bolts (17mm) after the bars have been rotated or they'll likely get hung up on the shocks.
  • I removed the three 12mm bolts holding the breather, e-brake, and brake line so the axle could droop without any binding.
  • I pressed the axle hub down by standing on it, then had my wife stand on it (she's a lightweight) and the spring fell out with a little guidance. Make sure you're on the jack stands and your are comfortable with the safety factor here as the truck is WAY up there.
  • Pop the spacer on the top of the spring, repeat the press down and release.
  • Rotate the coil spring so it seat on the axle housing correctly.
  • Reinstall all bolts and nuts with a fresh coating of antisieze.
  • Smack your girl on her buns.
  • Enjoy 30mm of lift.
Took me about 1.5 hours and then cranked my front bars to match.

Last edited:
When adding a 30mm spacer to rear spring...do I have to unbolt shocks or will the axle drop down far enough to pull spring out? Sway bar gets unbolted from what I read.

Thanks
I do most of the work on the car , but if you do not have proper lift to raise the car up and you are under the car dropping axel - do not risk your life over the junk - pay someone $150 and they do it for you.

As someone who will be doing this if a few weeks, you're writeup is very welcome. One question though, could you take the factory jack and use that to push the axle down?

Yes, yes you can. Check to make sure nothing is binding...

OP

If you are having trouble with enough clearance (I assume you have removed the rubber bump stop inside the spring, this can help removal) you can also detach the other side of the axle (sway bar, lower shock, etc) and not have to force anything. You'll need appropriate jack stands and a floor jack to facilitate this.

fwiw, when installing my spring spacers, I didn't unbolt and hose brackets. remove lower shock bolt. Unbolt sway bar. jack opposite side of axle up. Spring should fit back in, with spacer.

Yep, I just unbolted EVERYTHING and the springs took 10 min to take out and reinstall. Not hard at all...just had to undo brake line brackets and parking brake.

Question on AHC systems: Are those with AHC, unbolting the AHC sensor arm, and if so at what point?

One thing I don't see covered here is the AHC rear adjuster sensor scissor arm. I stopped lowering the rear axle once I saw it completely extended. The coil spring was just about to come out, and will with a little force. But my concern would be putting just that little additional force on the AHC adjuster, and more force when I install new coils & 30mm spacers. I'd prefer not to change the adjustment position of the adjuster at this time.

BTW: I'll be putting in 30mm Slee spacers with flat side with ridge against top of new OEM coil spring, and coned side into upper bucket.

Last edited:
I took the Que from @Ali FJ80 and pick up a spring compressor. Only needed it on the DS so no need to remove bracket for AHC, brake line or e-brake. Doing PS was a snap with mild pressure on the ABS speed sensors line. Of course I did drop the stabilizer bar and disconnect the lower end of the shocks.
001.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG

Last edited:
Hi, resurrecting am old thread here, but it has so much good info it seemed the right thing to do. I'm curious, genuinely, why no one is just using a spring compressor? Is it just the fear of it slipping (a good thing to worry about, don't get me wrong), or are there challenges in getting it in there that make it less than attractive on these trucks? I ask because I've done so many spring swaps on different cars and trucks over the years and have somehow amassed a few different compressors, would like to just do the same here if it works. Planning ahead for a change.

I don't like the design of the above spring compressor. The bar slips!

Their is another, two piece clamp/compressors. Those's don't slip!

You'll not need on suspension W/O AHC or PS. For factory coils! Just DS.

If you need a spring compressor to install coil spacers, you're doing it wrong, and introducing a major safety factor in this.

I was able to put in the 30mm spacers in less than an hour on my LX470 with AHC, by myself. If you take the time to set everything up, you shouldn't have any issues.

1. Get two sturdy jack stands under it that are high enough to let the axle drop all the way down
2. Unbolt brake line
3. Unbolt breather line
4. Unbolt parking brake line
5. Mark the location of the AHC sensor and disconnect it
6. Disconnect the rear swaybar
7. Unbolt rear shocks
8. Place jack under one side of the axle, remove shock, lower jack until spring has enough freeplay to remove. This is where you may need someone to help press down on the hub.
9. Re-install spring with 30mm spacer on top
10. Reverse steps 7 & 8, then do the other side.
11. Reverse all steps 2 through 6. Go back and double check your hardware again to make sure you didn't forget anything.
12. Have a cold beverage and enjoy.

If it takes more effort than that to do the job, you've missed something along the way. The biggest obstacle you should encounter on an older vehicle...getting the rear shocks off. Even that is a big maybe...

That's helpful, thank you both. My first reaction to reading the thread was that lifting the car so high, putting it on a jack stand under the far end of the axle, then reefing on free end to pull it down enough to free the spring sounded a lot scarier than just using a compressor. Sounds like it's less sketchy than it sounds, and in this case bottom line is it's just easier to do it without one. 👍

Last edited:
If you need a spring compressor to install coil spacers, you're doing it wrong, and introducing a major safety factor in this.

I was able to put in the 30mm spacers in less than an hour on my LX470 with AHC, by myself. If you take the time to set everything up, you shouldn't have any issues.

1. Get two sturdy jack stands under it that are high enough to let the axle drop all the way down
2. Unbolt brake line
3. Unbolt breather line
4. Unbolt parking brake line
5. Mark the location of the AHC sensor and disconnect it
6. Disconnect the rear swaybar
7. Unbolt rear shocks
8. Place jack under one side of the axle, remove shock, lower jack until spring has enough freeplay to remove. This is where you may need someone to help press down on the hub.
9. Re-install spring with 30mm spacer on top
10. Reverse steps 7 & 8, then do the other side.
11. Reverse all steps 2 through 6. Go back and double check your hardware again to make sure you didn't forget anything.
12. Have a cold beverage and enjoy.

If it takes more effort than that to do the job, you've missed something along the way. The biggest obstacle you should encounter on an older vehicle...getting the rear shocks off. Even that is a big maybe...
In either case I lift high, place jack stands under frame.. I swing stabilizer bar down, and toward the front after releasing the bushings. Use floor jack under rear diff to control it's height. Release the shocks at bottoms.
I've done these a few times, and I like just compressing DS spring on rigs with AHC, skipping steps 2, 3 and 4.
I'm careful; watching lines and height sensor arm so I don't not over extend them.

Here is the compressor I like. They don't slip and are fast to hook up. Very fast if using air tools!

Last edited:
I replaced both springs in the rear on saturday. Jacked up the rear diff, put a stand under the opposite side of axle. Then jacked up the body on the side I was doing. Disconnected the sway bar from the side toward the axle only. Jacked up the frame until the axle stopped dropping. Used a small pry bar to pop and rotate the old spring off. Took the new spring and pushed it right in. You may need to put a little weight on the axle to get it down a smidge.

Just did mine, I see now why no one uses a compressor, definitely an easy spring swap and a compressor would take more time if anything.

I just did one side at a time, opposite wheel on the ground, jackstands on rear frame rail on the side I was working, and jack under the housing to remove the shock (was upgrading to tough dogs at the same time), disconnect the brake bracket, housing vent, and lower sway bar link like everyone says to do, then lowered the jack and it came right out. Install was just the opposite. Easy pease, nice, uneventful first project on the truck 👍

Just did mine, I see now why no one uses a compressor, definitely an easy spring swap and a compressor would take more time if anything.

I just did one side at a time, opposite wheel on the ground, jackstands on rear frame rail on the side I was working, and jack under the housing to remove the shock (was upgrading to tough dogs at the same time), disconnect the brake bracket, housing vent, and lower sway bar link like everyone says to do, then lowered the jack and it came right out. Install was just the opposite. Easy pease, nice, uneventful first project on the truck 👍

I agree with this assessment. I’ve swapped my coil and spacer setups at least 4-5 times and it would be more time consuming to use a spring compressor, and as others have mentioned, the safety factor is not worth the risk. Spring compressors are extremely dangerous.

Sorry to revive an old thread. But Im having trouble removing the shock from the bottom. I was able to remove the lower shock bolt but unable to slide the shock out. Tried using a breaker bar and a long thick screw driver to wiggle the shock out but no luck. I also PB blastered the area like theres no tomorrow. Keep in mind that the top nut is still in place as I am just trying to install the spacers not replace the shock. Anyone encountered a similar issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom