Spring spacer install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry to revive an old thread. But Im having trouble removing the shock from the bottom. I was able to remove the lower shock bolt but unable to slide the shock out. Tried using a breaker bar and a long thick screw driver to wiggle the shock out but no luck. I also PB blastered the area like theres no tomorrow. Keep in mind that the top nut is still in place as I am just trying to install the spacers not replace the shock. Anyone encountered a similar issue?
You need to lower/raise that side to a point where it is better lined up. Then you should be able to get it off. I have used a rubber mallet to gently tap the shock off.

I used my smaller floor jack to apply just the right about of pressure on that side of the axle to help. without that, there was just to much pressure applied to the shock/axle. I have a pretty large pry bar and some pb/armor all. I also carefully placed a blunt object on the eyelet of the shock and tapped that with a hammer. that slowly pushed the shock off.

Just reporting back. I was unable to remove the shock from the bottom. So drilled some service holes from the top then removed it from there. Even the top nut removed, the shock wouldn't come out. I'm unsure how the previous owner replaced them or what was done to make it stick like it was welded to the lower mounting shaft. Spacers are in and the torsion bar cranked. Happy with the height as of now. Just need to get an alignment.

Sorry to revive an old thread. But Im having trouble removing the shock from the bottom. I was able to remove the lower shock bolt but unable to slide the shock out. Tried using a breaker bar and a long thick screw driver to wiggle the shock out but no luck. I also PB blastered the area like theres no tomorrow. Keep in mind that the top nut is still in place as I am just trying to install the spacers not replace the shock. Anyone encountered a similar issue?
When the thuck is on jack stands the entire weight of the rear end and all of its connected componants, plus the remaining spring pressure, is contained by the shock. You will not budge them until this pressure is relieved. What you need to do at this point is put your jack under the rear end and jack ever so slightly until the lower end of the shock becomes loose, then you can easily remove it from the stud. You may still have to pry a little with a hammer handle or a stick but it should slide off fairly easily. When both shocks are released then you can fully lower the rear end.

Even with little to no jack support under the axle, getting that shock off was sketchy. Pry-bar did the trick. All I had to do was disconnect the AHC telemetry & sway bar link arm. One side at a time. Had plenty of slack in all of the lines. Had my wife out there in anticipation of needing help pushing the hub down, but ultimately did not. I taught her how to use a floor jack though #qualitytime

Took all of about an hour

Undoing the shocks should be done with a jack under the axle IMO, makes it a lot easier than having them completely extended.

Ahc question .. My ahc maintenance has been ahc spheres in 2015 .. and new fluid twice since 2001

Should I just slap in 30mm spacers front and rear to account for 20 years of sag! Seems to be the recommendation but would like an affirmative response . Cheers

Undoing the shocks should be done with a jack under the axle IMO, makes it a lot easier than having them completely extended.

Agreed. Something was preventing it from dropping down, but when I reattached it, I had to lower the axle further.

Ahc question .. My ahc maintenance has been ahc spheres in 2015 .. and new fluid twice since 2001

Should I just slap in 30mm spacers front and rear to account for 20 years of sag! Seems to be the recommendation but would like an affirmative response . Cheers

No spacers for the front, You'd have to crank the torsion bars. Mine is ~17 years old, just did the AHC lift (w/ cranked t-bars & 30mm rear spacers) So far, so good

Great thanks .. and .. how many turns on the tbars?
( vehicle all stock)

I messed up and didnt count

Did you guys retain the factory rubber spacer when installing the spring spacer? ( I am talking about the little ridged disk)

Mine on one side is fused to the bucket somehow, so it’s above my poly spacers on both sides. I think it’s mostly to stop the coils from creaking on the bucket. I’ve also put the one between the could and the spacer before. I have not seen any affect at all of any of those.

Mine on one side is fused to the bucket somehow, so it’s above my poly spacers on both sides. I think it’s mostly to stop the coils from creaking on the bucket. I’ve also put the one between the could and the spacer before. I have not seen any affect at all of any of those.

Thanks sir! (btw, you and Gary need to get out to AZ while the weather is still nice!)

@CruiseLanderAZ looks like we made the right choice :)

May be a silly question, but will installing spacers on the rear cause the front end of the truck to droop?

May be a silly question, but will installing spacers on the rear cause the front end of the truck to droop?

No it shouldn’t have a measurable affect on the front height. The illusion it can create is what people call “stinkbugging” which means the rear is substantially higher than the front.

No it shouldn’t have a measurable affect on the front height. The illusion it can create is what people call “stinkbugging” which means the rear is substantially higher than the front.

How would you counter that appearance in an LX? Adjusting torsion bars in the front? AHC sensor in the front?

Where do you get these 30mm rear spacers?

How would you counter that appearance in an LX? Adjusting torsion bars in the front? AHC sensor in the front?

Oh you have an LX with AHC? Then none of this works for you. There are ways to lift the AHC by tricking the sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom