Spring Over (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a question to anyone who is willing to answer. I own a 1968 fj40 which i am faithfully trying to restore and modify at the same time. I have redone paint, interior, motor, tranny/transfer and very other little built and piece on the thing. Its enough to make my head spin :eek: , anyways recently i have wanted to do a spring over on my truck. I was told by some people that is is neccassary to cut and rotate my steering knuckles or my truck won't track straight tire ware and a whole other list of problems. Is there any truth to this. Any help would be very much appreciated.

P.S how much of a lift with a spring over get and what color looks good with a red interior???

yes its required to do the cut and turn. you get about 5 inches i forgot to measure mine before i did it. red hmmm black or a dark gray

SOA = 5-6", depending on your spring condition.

Cut/turn....ALL opinion, there are no facts....lol IMO, if you are doing the shackle reversal, it's required. If not, and leaving the shackles on the front bumper, it's only strongly recommended. For the $150 or so to the price, it's worthwhile to do. Larger tires DO like additional caster for steering/handling, and the stock +1 degree is marginal for that.

Many of us have done soa's without cutting and turning. Flipping the springs around to lenghen the wheelbase helps counteract the handling drawbacks and driveline angle issues.
Depends on where you are located and what resources you have available. If it had been easy for me to get the cut and turn job done I might have done it too. For us in ak shipping axle housings around is prohibitive.
As it is, many people I know ( myself included) dont do the cut and turn with perfectly acceptable results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom