SPOT Satellite Messenger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just had this conversation and I/we prefer the SPOT over the other PLB. Mainly because my family and friends know my location all the time, any time. The PLB is not able to tell my family and friends or anyone Im not moving. The SPOT recently was able to tell the motorcycle group I was riding with theat I was still moving and where I was when we were separated in the middle of Escalante Utah.
Like I said, the SPOT is alright for trip tracking. I think this is the one area where SPOT is unique.

The protocol is the same in an emergency call for both from what I heard in my recent conversation. The coordination in the end is a little different but I would think SPOT would be good at it by now.
Sure, the SAR folks will try and give you a call before they muster a rescue. The difference is in what comes next. SPOT will call 911 for you. The PLB will summon search & rescue.

This is, of course, assuming that the low-power high freq (read: can't penetrate trees, clouds, etc) transmission from SPOT to GlobalStar comm satellites reached anyone. Personally, I'd rather count on the low freq 5 watt transmitters in the much more rugged PLB.

As for betting your life, only a fool would bet his life on anything one thing
I suppose so but I have no idea what this has to do with anything unless you're implying that I would head out into the wilderness with nothing but a PLB? I have a funny image of nude hikers with bright yellow PLBs in hand.

In the end, it's a simple decision.
  1. Do you want trip tracking and some extended 911 on the road? Use SPOT.
  2. Do you want to know damn sure that rescue is coming if needed? Use a PLB.

Spot works very well indeed. I have used it under tree cover - e.g. camping under redwoods and have had no problems with the all-ok messages getting out. I do let the unit run a full 30 minutes in that case, to ensure it sends out multiple fixes.

Likely dense/wet leaves would be an issue for Spot, but then it would be an issue for other systems too.

The newer Spot 2 has a MUCH better GPS engine than the older Spot and gets good and accurate fixes to transmit.

The Spot 2 has surprised me in how reliably it can get its message out to the sats. I do have a VHF/UHF/HF rig in my 80 but that's much more of a backup in my mind.

Some pics of the kind of foliage that Spot 2 worked through reliably:

but1.jpg

and

but2.jpg

cheers,
george.

I'm heading out to go camping in Utah this weekend. I'll leave my SPOT on the entire time. (possibly not at night depending on how much I drink and if I forget tho).

You can track me here
SPOT Shared Page

It marks me every 20 mins or so. I'll be in the mountains in thick trees a lot of the time. You evaluate it for yourself.

... transmission from SPOT to GlobalStar comm satellites ...

That could be why SPOT doesn't work well in Baja. As I recall. GlobalStar sat phones are almost worthless down there. Iridium is the sat phone of choice for Baja.

I'm heading out to go camping in Utah this weekend. I'll leave my SPOT on the entire time. (possibly not at night depending on how much I drink and if I forget tho).

You can track me here
SPOT Shared Page

It marks me every 20 mins or so. I'll be in the mountains in thick trees a lot of the time. You evaluate it for yourself.

Remember if you are tracking you need to restart the track every day. It should be marking every 10mins.:confused:

Transmission is greatly increased when you have the SPOT positioned flat pointing up as instructed in the SPOTs manual. The manual also talks about optimum clearance from other GPS and transmitting devices. Im not a big manual reader but this is one you want to read and understand.

I looked at your shared page and it looks like you have only gone to your neighbors house:flipoff2:

That was the spot's inherent inaccuracies. The points it is showing were taken from inside my house. It was stationary the entire time.

You only have to restart the track every day if you turn it off at night :)

I might leave it on to see how long the batteries last running full steam for a couple of days.

That was the spot's inherent inaccuracies. The points it is showing were taken from inside my house. It was stationary the entire time.

You only have to restart the track every day if you turn it off at night :)

I might leave it on to see how long the batteries last running full steam for a couple of days.

Some info from SPOTs web site that may help:)

This is a quick reference guide that we like to keep handy during an adventure:

First use: turn SPOT on, press the OK button and let cycle for 20 min
• Tracking: Turn unit on, hold OK button for longer than 5 seconds * Tracking turns off after 24 hours. Engage Tracking every morning .
• If On/Off light and OK light blink in unison for longer than 20 min., then you are in Track Mode
• If lights blink in unison for only 20 min., you were in OK mode
• Once in Track mode, holding down the OK button will cancel Track
Additional Notes:
• One set of AA Lithium batteries = 14 days of Tracking
• GPS Fix = On/Off and OK lights blink in unison
• No GPS Fix = On/Off and OK lights blink out of unison
• 9-1-1 Mode: Press and hold for at least 3 seconds unit you see green light blink
• Cancel 9-1-1, press and hold button for at least 3 seconds until red light

Also once you send an I'm OK message your track turns off

can't see a thing on that web page, fully black.

too bad, otherwise I'd know where to go get a Spot... and a cruiser too... :D

Some info from SPOTs web site that may help:)

This is a quick reference guide that we like to keep handy during an adventure:

First use: turn SPOT on, press the OK button and let cycle for 20 min
• Tracking: Turn unit on, hold OK button for longer than 5 seconds * Tracking turns off after 24 hours. Engage Tracking every morning .
• If On/Off light and OK light blink in unison for longer than 20 min., then you are in Track Mode
• If lights blink in unison for only 20 min., you were in OK mode
• Once in Track mode, holding down the OK button will cancel Track
Additional Notes:
• One set of AA Lithium batteries = 14 days of Tracking
• GPS Fix = On/Off and OK lights blink in unison
• No GPS Fix = On/Off and OK lights blink out of unison
• 9-1-1 Mode: Press and hold for at least 3 seconds unit you see green light blink
• Cancel 9-1-1, press and hold button for at least 3 seconds until red light

Also once you send an I'm OK message your track turns off

I would swear that I have gone more than 24 hrs with the spot working. I wonder if, when you check in it resets the 24 hr notice. Gonna check that this weekend :)

As far as the check-in turning off tracking - Some info from SPOTs web site that may help :flipoff2:

Check-In/OK and Custom Message -
- Messages scheduled 3 times over 20 minutes to contacts on your
contact list .
- Message not sent if GPS location cannot be determined.
- Suspends Track Progress until message is sent, then Track Progress
resumes automatically.

e, I am utterly unconcerned that people know where I live. My first name is scattered all over this site, and my last name is as well. You can find just about every license plate I have in here somewhere. and you can probably find my phone number and my physical addy on here too.. I'm not all that good at internet "hiding" ;)

So, zoom in and out of the pic and the aerial photo should show up. :)

Comical seeing how variable the location is. Apparently, I am not going to use a SPOT for surveying. The thing has not moved off of my ponywall since I turned it on..

I do feel that it is close enough for locating someone that is injured.

I got one a year ago, and it has worked perfectly each time. It tracks really well, and the ok messages get out fine. I've noticed that if I'm really moving quick, the OK message will show to be in the wrong spot as I test the time I send with my watch. But hey, I'm OK anyways.
Check the website, SPOT has done a lot of upgrading and tying them into smart phones. I think the verstility is rising, as you can now send an email in real time. The old system would only allow a prewritten message.
Check the website, and watch all the video's.

My daughter used my SPOT when she drove from SoCal to NY. It worked great. I used mine for 5 days on a boat in the Philippines. It worked great. I've never dealt with their customer service. Energizer Ultimate lithium batteries last about 25 hours dropping bread crumbs every 10 minutes.

is there a way to power those directly by connection with on board 12V?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom