speedometer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried a search but couldn't find a quick answer. My speedometer just stopped working completely (77 FJ40). What are the odds it needs a new cable? What steps should I take to confirm this? I want to order a new one ASAP since I won't have a chance to look at it until this weekend and it'd be nice to have the cable there if that's almost certainly the problem. Thanks - Matt

It's highly possible. It might just need a little lube though.

When my speedometer cable went out the speedometer started acting real erratic before it quit working.

Mine just quit outright. No needle movement, no odometer change. For the $20, I think I'll just order a new one to be safe and if nothin else, I'll have a new one. Looks like a fairly simple replacement procedure. Thanks. Any other possible causes before I order this thing?

sometimes the numbers lock up because the assy. lube gets sticky.

Did you at least check to see if it came loose from the instrument cluster? You might want to do that before you order a new cable. Other problems could be a broken cable or a stripped gear.

Good luck! :cheers:

Sorry, I did forget to mention that I did check the instrument cluster. I couldn't even figure out how to get it out, so it was in there good. I also looked at the outside of the transfer case where it enters and seemed alright. If it's a stripped gear, is the only solution a new cable? Thanks for the input.

Could also be the speedo gear in the Transfer case. Very easy to check. Just pry out the speedo gear housing (behind the parking brake) and check the teeth on the gear. Mine were SHREDDED. Not quite sure why these things get shredded...after working fine for so long....but maybe there is some Flotsam in your tcase that finally got back to this area and shredded it. Its worth a check before you place your order.

Thanks for the replies. I think I've been convinced to wait to order the cable and check the gear housing out this weekend. I'm always ordering parts for the FJ, then they sit 'cause I either don't end up needing them or I just don't get around to putting them in. I guess I just like getting new parts, and saving on shipping by get multiple things at once.

BTW - I obviously don't know enough to answer the "odometer working, speedometer not" question, but neither work on mine and I hope that means it's related to the cable and not the gauge.

The odometer working speedo not is one of two things and probly the worse of the two. The neddle is justed pressed onto the axel that turns it, it may have come loose enough not to turn the needle, but that's not very likely. You probably have a stripped gear in the speedo assy. If you want it to work the best thing to do is take it apart and see if you can find the problem. The worst thing that could happen is it not work, and it already does that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom