Speedometer driven gear seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
I thought I'd seen all the problems on these trucks, but I was wrong.

How do you get the speedo gear seal out of the sleeve without scarring the bore? I hacked a mini hooked pick short enough to get into the bore, but it only scarred the inner bore of the seal and pulled out the garter spring.

The far end of the sleeve is too small and too far away to get a tool in from that end to drive the seal out. Mine is either old and hard or pressed in tighter than Dick's hat band, or both, an I can't see getting it out without damaging the bore it's supposed to seal in.

The FSM makes it look so easy...
1653873346248.png

The school solution is to use one of these, but I can't see them working either:
1653873412001.png

A new sleeve is around $20, so I may just replace it. I hate being beaten by a poor design.

So, for all you boys and girls playing along at home, Toyota tells me there are no speedo gear sleeves in the US and there are many on backorder from the manufacturer. I ordered one from PartSouq, who seems not to have a supply problem. We'll see how that works out.

I'd still like to know how to get the seal out, without FUBARing the sleeve.

mine fell right out with very little persuasion from a 90* pick

i didn't replace it (didn't realize how easy it was), but cleaned it up. i did replace the o-ring. just the o-ring fixed my fluid leak, and my leak was BAD. like a puddle of gear oil on the ground bad. maybe just replace the o-ring and see how it goes.

What's the part number you're looking for?

Hmm i am replacing my gear soon. I should plan to do the seal and oring huh?

Mine is the later electronic speedo rather than cable driven, but I've had to replace the oring on that too. I'd definitely replace it if you're in there.

What's the part number you're looking for?
Not really looking for a part, just advice on how to remove the inner seal. The O-Ring advice would have been nice to have before I tried to remove the seal. Oh well, I have it now. However, given the extreme hardness of the seal, I'd have probably replaced it anyway; that is, assuming I could get it out.

Having done it all now, I will just replace the sleeve next time. The assembly comes with the seal and O-Ring installed.
1654087771808.png

PartSouq to the rescue! New speedometer driven gear sleeve received last night and going in today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom