speedo stopped working (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My speedo has been working fine until this moring now it just does not move. :confused: Where should I start? I have a FSM and had a quick look but could not find speedo info. What section should I be looking at? T'case? ODO and trip meter have stopped working as well.

Take the cable off at the transfer case end (it shouldn't drip oil too much) and see if the cable is busted. You can pull the cable out and the speedo end should have a formed square end. If it's just cable or is frayed then it's busted and you need a new one.

First, look/feel under the dash and see if the cable is still connected to the speedo. If that's okay, take the other end off as described above. You can put that end in a drill and (slowly) turn it. Have someone look in the car and see if the speedo moves. If not, you problem is the cable or the gauge itself. If it does move, you have a problem with the trans connector, or at worst a broken gear inside the trans (unlikely).

Cables are cheap, junk yard or JCWhitney (plus some custom fabbing). If the gauge goes bad, i usually notice crazy readings before they die completely.

I hope it jst came unplugged

Dave

The cable is still available new from Toyota and not that expensive. It's a bit of a pain to change, but doable.

My spedo i9s dead too....However, it's the dirven gear...CDan to the rescue !
(p.s. swapping that gear (on a tubular shaft) is very easy...)

Pete

Finally had a look at the speedo cable - only took 2 months. The t'case end was good. Turns out the cable just broke up near the dash end. New cable is finally in, thanks for your help guys.

EZ - Pull the Tcase end out as WSU says, pull the instrument cluster & detach the housing from the speedo & pull out the other end.

Grease the new one with synthetic & slide 'er through. You'll have a time connecting the housing at the speedo (very little room) & you may have to turn the Tcase end a little to get the cable into the speedo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom