Speedo issue on HZJ80R (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HEY EVERYONE IM HAVING A STRANGE ISSUE ON MY 1HZ 80 SERIES.

THE SPEEDO JUMPS STRAIGHT UP TO 60KM/PHR NO MATTER WHAT SPEED IM GOING I COULD BE DRIVING AT WALKING SPEED AND IT READS 60KM/PHR ON MY SPEEDO.

IVE REPLACED THE SPEED SENSOR AND INSPECTED THE 3 WIRES COMING OUT OF THE SPEED SENSOR AND LOOKS OK. ALL OTHER INSTRUMENTS WORK FINE.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS ISSUE ? IM THINKING A LOOSE GROUND WIRE OR SOMETHING ELECTRICAL GOING ON WITH THE CLUSTERS ELECTRICAL BOARD.

KEEP IN MIND MY MODEL OF 80 SERIES DOESNT HAVE A ECU OR TACHO FROM FACTORY.

CHEERS !

What year is the car? Does this happen as soon as the key is at IGN or only when the car is moving?

Try unplugging the speed sensor and report back what happens.

The board is a paper like film on the back of the cluster, I've got a damaged one that caused a speedo failure, but that's a weird thing to go wrong unless someone has been tinkering behind the dash.

What year is the car? Does this happen as soon as the key is at IGN or only when the car is moving?

Try unplugging the speed sensor and report back what happens.

The board is a paper like film on the back of the cluster, I've got a damaged one that caused a speedo failure, but that's a weird thing to go wrong unless someone has been tinkering behind the dash. I'll unplug it and see what happens in the morning.
1993 standard model part time 4WD Diesel. It only happens when I move forward or backwards shoots straight up to 60kmphr doesn't go over or under stays there until I'm at a complete stop then it shoots straight to 0km.

Im the only person who works on it nothings been tampered with that's what's got me stumped such a strange thing to happen.

Doesn't happen when unplugged. Nothing happens at all.
That rules out other dodgy wiring at play.

If you've already replaced the speed sensor there's a slim chance that's the issue, but, stranger things have happened.

Bad ground on the cluster end would usually cause other gauges to have issues, check ground wires behind kick panel anyway.

Speed sensor is grounded on engine block, towards the rear of 1HZ according to diagrams.

Pulling the dash and cluster isn't too hard, might be worth checking the board or throwing in another cluster to confirm. I've got a spare 93 speedo (just the speedometer, not the cluster) I can post to you if you get to that point.

If you've already replaced the speed sensor there's a slim chance that's the issue, but, stranger things have happened.

Bad ground on the cluster end would usually cause other gauges to have issues, check ground wires behind kick panel anyway.

Speed sensor is grounded on engine block, towards the rear of 1HZ according to diagrams.

Pulling the dash and cluster isn't too hard, might be worth checking the board or throwing in another cluster to confirm. I've got a spare 93 speedo (just the speedometer, not the cluster) I can post to you if you get to that point.
Yeah I'll take out the dash and check the board on the cluster see if anything burnt out or not looking to good. Both speed sensors are doing the exactly same thing. Cheers mate will keep you update most likely do it all tomorrow morning..

Here's it out couldn't wait till morning. Everything looks fine im really stumped now.

20240225_190227.jpg

20240225_182329.jpg

20240225_190440.jpg

20240225_190445.jpg

Jumped the circuit's the speed now reads over 60 but is still starting at 60 its almost like 60 is its 0 point now. I'm truly stumped.

I think I'll take you up on your offer mate I've narrowed it right down to the speedo being the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom