speedo cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what is the easy route to getting a longer speedo cable for a 1970 fj40 ? or does someone sell an extention ?

FWIW, Cool Cruisers of Texas sells a longer aftermarket speedo cable for $20. I have one, it's not as good quality as OEM--it takes a good deal more "oomph" to turn it, so I was worried about the longterm affect on the plastic gears in the transfer case housing.

[quote author=tucker74 link=board=1;threadid=17670;start=msg171163#msg171163 date=1086704575]
I bought this one from JT Outfitters and it works great...some have complained about their Customer Service, but I had no problems....[/quote]

That one won't work for the "screw" style earlier speedo units... yours has a clip vs the screw...

Too my knowledge your only option is the speedo extension, available from any Cruiser parts dealer (me ;)) or right from Toyota... :D

How much longer do you need. When I replaced mine for a 1969 with the stock 3spd, I got it from spector(1 piece). When i put in the longer 4spd, it was more than long enough, with a couple inches to spare.

I am about to drop my 1996 vortec with a 4l60e auto back into the fj40 and the one pc cable that I had on the 4 speed was fairly tight and I really doubt it will work with the combo I am installing. I would rather change it now. The cable on there is already in bad shape than after I drop it back in.

thanks for all the info :)

If you didn't need to remove the rear crossmember then the one piece cable should reach fine. On a '78 with a rockbox I used the stock cable from a '74. If you had to move the crossmember then it might not reach. The extension I mentioned from Marlin is listed to fit toy minis but I'm pretty sure it will work on a cruiser. I'm using the speedo cable from an '83 toy mini on my 40 right now. The speedo drive from a mini will fit the 40 also but you need the retainer from the mini too (different thickness).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom