Builds Spdstr280Z's While I'm in There 80 Series Build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, this happened... First start in 2 years and 7 months, after an engine rebuild. I didn't get the actual start, it actually surprised me. I had tried earlier after cranking to build oil pressure, but it didn't fire. I thought I was chasing a no spark issue, but, I guess not....

Exhaust is loud because the O2 sensor port on the Y-pipe is open. The block off plate didn't quite fit, and now I can't find it.

And yep, I took a video in portrait. I'm not very happy with myself either.

PXL_20211016_211122463.jpg

Read here for updates (and maybe help out) on my journey to get it to start a second time....

Jason

On a positive note, like most, I had the wonderful dealer (I think) installed wood trim kit. After all these years, it looked like absolute crap. Peeling it off, I also realized that someone had used CA (super glue) to stick it back down as it tried to peel. Since nothing removes CA that doesn't also melt ABS plastic, I figured I was buying new dash plastic. All of it.... Plus the shifter console.

Before doing that I decided to get a bit cheap creative, and try a different route.

Got to go...

IMG_20190421_131813.jpg

Started with the upper dash piece as a test, really just kind of goofing around with it. Painted using SEM Charcoal Metallic over SEM Sand Free primer. Test came out good enough I decided to clean up some rough edges and finish it...

Charcoal Metallic vs original black...

PXL_20210928_012607475.jpg

Came out pretty well, I'm actually really happy with it, Save some money and just a little custom, win - win. Just have to do the rest now.

PXL_20210928_012619796.jpg

PXL_20211102_025934962.jpg

Jason

This all started when I wrecked my 4Runner.... Does the wife get a Land Cruiser now ?

PXL_20211105_204503148.jpg

She hit a deer last week, awaiting the final word from insurance. Pretty bad time to be in the market.

Jason

With the no spark issue solved, a second first start (well, running) video (no, I'm not sure what the piggy grunting noises are, fat guy having an allergy day, IDK), and getting it hot and topping off coolant. Nothing burned, exploded, or gushed out, so I'm pretty happy.

PXL_20211117_214601858.jpg

PXL_20211117_214546186.jpg

PXL_20211117_214118784 (1).jpg

Jason

While I was in there... Noticed the map light / sunroof control surround looked particularly grungy.

PXL_20211126_220059174.jpg

IDK what was on that thing, funk, nicotine, years of nastiness came off in sick, brown waves.

PXL_20211126_220454066.jpg

Not bad...

PXL_20211203_192149457.jpg

Pretty good...

PXL_20211203_192334399.jpg

And done...

PXL_20211203_201154369.jpg

Even works...

PXL_20211203_201208947.jpg

Jason

I'm off work for the rest of the year. and I'm trying to get this thing moving, maybe even literally...

I have been trying to find a trans cooler solution to avoid re-using my old, dirty, crusty, bent fin unit. Even bought a Derale plate and fin cooler that I thought would be an adequate replacement. Derale rates it as for an up to 26,500 pound vehicle. But as I have them side by side to build adapter brackets it just looks puny.... Try to straighten a few more fins and give the old one a rattle can restoration, or go ahead with the Derale ?

PXL_20211219_005434655.jpg

Decisions, decisions.

Jason

I'm off work for the rest of the year. and I'm trying to get this thing moving, maybe even literally...

I have been trying to find a trans cooler solution to avoid re-using my old, dirty, crusty, bent fin unit. Even bought a Derale plate and fin cooler that I thought would be an adequate replacement. Derale rates it as for an up to 26,500 pound vehicle. But as I have them side by side to build adapter brackets it just looks puny.... Try to straighten a few more fins and give the old one a rattle can restoration, or go ahead with the Derale ?

View attachment 2869085

Decisions, decisions.

Jason
Go with the old one but maybe steam clean it before take can? Did wonders on some of my parts.

View attachment 2869085

Decisions, decisions.

Jason
Food for thought... the 100 series cooler is available from Dorman. Similar in size to 80 series, you just need a custom bracket. A little CAD and a plasma table could make it easy!!

Got lazy and went with NAPA reman calipers. Hope they hold up. According to the date code they had been on the shelf for a while, hopefully the good rebuilder.

View attachment 2257193

EBC Green Stuff pads...

View attachment 2257194

Rotors are just Brembo replacement blanks.

Jason

Replying to myself here, but I want to add to the "avoid NAPA calipers now" pile on. No problems with those fronts (so far), but the left rear is the latest thing to keep me from driving it finally. Didn't notice it with a quick visual, but it has thread issues as others have reported with the banjo bolt fitting. Factory copper banjo bolts will not torque, tried to be an optimist and try it anyway, of course it leaks. Toyota rears will be here tomorrow. Given the price, I have no idea why I ever got these NAPA calipers anyway.

Jason

Replying to myself here, but I want to add to the "avoid NAPA calipers now" pile on. No problems with those fronts (so far), but the left rear is the latest thing to keep me from driving it finally. Didn't notice it with a quick visual, but it has thread issues as others have reported with the banjo bolt fitting. Factory copper banjo bolts will not torque, tried to be an optimist and try it anyway, of course it leaks. Toyota rears will be here tomorrow. Given the price, I have no idea why I ever got these NAPA calipers anyway.

Jason
Haven't read you mentioning it in your thread, but I would recommend installing new brake soft lines and banjo bolts while you are at it.

Jason
what torque spec are you using for the banjo bolt?

just went down this road myself over christmas. i just put new Toyota calipers on all four corners. with new banjo bolts and mounting bolts. no issues other than a lighter wallet. already had new-ish slee soft lines.

Haven't read you mentioning it in your thread, but I would recommend installing new brake soft lines and banjo bolts while you are at it.

Good point, all banjo bolts and crush washers are new (and will be another new set for the next round of calipers), and I have Slee stainless lines. I think the frame to axle came with the Slinky kit, and I completed it.

Thanks !

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom