Spare tire rotation - Should it get some action??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know tire rotation has been covered before but not anything to address my specific question.

Background - I had 5 new tires roughly 10K miles ago and I haven’t put my spare into the rotation yet. Tread shows even wear all across on mounted tires

Also – I'm getting ready for a trip over to Seattle – so the new spare will be run in the morning on the highway with the other freshly rotated tires for the next 600 + miles over the weekend.

Is it too late to throw the spare into action? Is there a depth limit to say yes or no compared to the tires already being run on the 80? I know I should have thrown it in at earlier rotations but didn't. Or should I not worry about it?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance –

Derek

Don’t post many pics but here is one after a trip to nine mile ORV in Spokane
dirty.JPG

well, I doubt 10K is a big problem but if you want to be sure, measure the thread depth on the worn ones and calculate the circumference difference. If it's something like 1% that probably falls within the noise level. As long you don't have anything locked, should not matter much I would think.

It seems that a 5 tire rotation is the way to go with non-directional tires. This boosts the life of the set by 20%. The problem arises when the rotation is started that late in the treadlifre of the tires. At this point you are at least 1/4 thru the tread life of the tires, if not greater. FT 4WD vehicles are particular about tire irregularities and introducing a new tire into the mix at this point could possibly be an issue. I would have started this at no more than 3 to 4 thousand miles out.
I just replaced all 5 of my tires and I plan to do a 5 tire rotation every 2000 miles.

D-

I think it should be OK. Throw that spare in the front (doesn't the front tire wear faster than the rear?) Anyway where is that ORV in Spokane?

Putting the spare in place of your shortest diameter tire might help, so there's less of a difference. Or if you really are anal about it, you can have your spare shaved down. Personally, I think it will be fine to put into rotation.

Thanks for the advice - I just randomly checked the depth of all four tires and the spare-

All four tires are at roughly at 4/8 inch tread left
Spare is at 5/8 inch

I'm not math wiz so don't know how that would compare - :(

I will check on the circumference in the morning of all tires and see how they compare.

Yeah, CDan, I know I needed to rotate that spare in sooner. I have been acquiring some tools and jack/stands etc. so I can make the exchange easier.

So would I be better off not running the spare - even with a 1/8 in. difference? -Cause too many problems with the VC still?

I found an older post that explained more about this issue with blown out tires just now -

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=10729&highlight=running+sized+tires

FWIW - I have a buddy who drives an 02 Chevy Avalanche - Nice rig by the way but doesn't really compare at all to the 80's- but he went out and bought another wheel that matches his stock ones (too bad it didn't come with matching spare when he bought it new) so he could rotate all 5 tires.

MLX450 - Nine Mile ORV is out at Riverside State Park 15- 20 minutes drive out of Spokane on - here is a link -

http://www.riversidestatepark.org/orv_area.htm

It is pretty fun, trails and some hill climbs. Nothing I couldn't get up and over that I tried with a slightly lifted and locked 80 though. Lots of nice open area too.

Thanks again -

Derek

1/8" plus 1/8" equals a 1/4" difference in diameter. I think it should be fine.

Thanks Hoser - too late for me to be adding less than one plus one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom