Spare Tire Carrier, 1970 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It does not work with my spare tire. The tire is to wide. It rubs on the carrier. The tire guys claimed not to have access to the skinny OEM size. I tried to make 5/16" bushings. That was insufficient.

I see two options:
1. Install longer bolts and and extended the padlock fastener with thicker bushings. That seems like more work then plan 2 below.
2. Put 1/2" thick plates as indicated in the photo. I can make them neatly and finish the the same as the rest of the rig.

What works out better?

BTW, in the deep dark recesses of my pointy head I recall the carrier bracket as being the same gray as the rims. Is the correct? This vehicle is the victims of a crappy respray.

carrier.JPG

Did you try the search function? Tire/tire carrier clearance was literally hashed out less than a week ago.

Option 2, You're a genius. It's all been covered b4.

Did you try the search function? Tire/tire carrier clearance was literally hashed out less than a week ago.
Thanks pb4ugo

this is yours for free if it can help meet your TEq needs you discuss above ....

This is a high end of the scale solid B + grade factory hub-cap clips equipped 1970 compatible OEM FJ40 wheel

( points deducted only for visual cosmetics of the patina on OEM Gray paint code …fyi )

That is a very recent Grade A young and tender OEM Dunlop also

PM me if i can help here on 🌎

matt

44613685-5293-4267-9F24-1C46FECF44C2.jpeg
3EE38816-35A6-4CFC-AB00-543604920BA3.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for the generous offer!

For now I will stick with the tires and wheels I have. The tires have less than 50 miles on them.

The spare is the only surviving factory wheel. However, I would like to find a hub cap to put on it on it.

Later I may go back to factory wheels and hubcaps. That would require factory hubs.

IF I went that deep in the rabbit hole I would get a correct engine too. It currently has a Chevy straight 6.

For now I want to get the top back on. It is all over my garage in pieces. It is repaired, painted and I have all new rubber and a new headliner.

I do need a front heater box. It is the one with the selector baffle lever in the middle . : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom