Spare tire and soft top conflict? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently blew up my daily driver(honda). So for the next couple weeks, my FJ40(78) will be pulling DD duties. I have had the soft top off since April, and have been running nothing, or the bikini since. I am planning on putting my soft top back on, to protect myself from the rain.

Anyway, I have the stock tire carrier, and have a 33x12.50 on there. When I fold the top down, the bows don't seem to quite clear the tire, resulting in a certain degree of dorkiness added to my cruisers look.

Are there extenders to move the tire out? Am I asking for trouble, since the tire carrier is mounted to mu glass tub?

Should I just say the heck with it and be the true dork that I am? :D

Scott there is nothing like strong feelings of dorkiness to motivate you and get the honda fixed.To make the feelings even stronger remember that everyone is looking at you thinking you must be a dork to have a soft top like that and you dont even have the privelage of a car body to hide behind.
I hope that has cleared it up for you :eek:

Rosco, never before have I received such a all encompassing answer to a perplexing answer. :p

The honda is going to the scrap yard. I am looking for a 3/4 ton pickup to [move]haul[/move] my cruiser to and from it's non-dorky adventures.

MMmm Ok how about bolting the spare to the bonnet (hood) and pretending your a landrover (cool) or will it fit in the back or just leave your spare at home and take your chances with a flat and of course being aware of the fact of how big a dork youll look with no spare in an emergency.

Funny you should mention that, I am having a box built, and I guess I could incorporate a horizontal type tire carrier to go on top. Not sure when the box will be done though.

I would have to say live with it cause extending the bolts will add a fair bit more stress on the mounts. Unless it's some kick ass spectra and S2 glass weave I wouldn't. Now if it is go ahead and add an extra tire to it too. As for the dork thing take the top off completely and go coverless in the rain. Get a nice rain jacket and a scorching heater and you'll be fine. It's just water.

Eternal-down to my last 2 bucks......

I am leaving the top off, until winter anyway. It's not worth being a dork!

Just a longshot, but couldn't you put longer bolts on the tire carrier and space the wheel out with some pieces of 1/2" pipe? Guess it depends on how much you lack in clearance.
You could also make like a 6x6" plate out of 1/4" steel and drill it for the three bolts that hold the spare on, then bolt the plate to the existing carrier to space the whole thing out from the body/top.
Or...vinyl poncho at the Dollar General and leave the top off.
OOPS, that might be deeper into dork.
Ed ;)

Assuming you have the typical bestop softop, or the like. Unbolt your softtop bracketry,... (with the material stowed how you would have it folded down), position it how you would like it when it is folded down, mark where you will need to drill new holes, drill them, and bolt it back down. Voila!!
Don't worry, because the door bows and uprights that fit into the tub holes (for lack of a better term) will swing to compensate for whatever angle the upright is at. I had the same problem with where the PO mounted the softtop on mine. Ended up using the front hole as the rear, and just drilling one hole on each side. Not quite perfect, but it sure beats having to remove the sofftop and bracketry on a whim when you would otherwise just fold it down.

Good Luck
WILL

Will,
thats a great biy of advice. Mine is a kayline. I'll se eif it works with that as well. Of course, we are leaving in a few minutes, nd according to radar, it's raining, but only right over top of us. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom