Spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read a lot about the positives of spacers. Can people chime in about the negatives? Trying to decide to spacer or not.

Also, what size spacer should I run to get the look right.

Thanks

8FF8BBA8-AC3F-4BCF-9F28-B8D6DDC5D98B.jpeg

A356D767-FED6-40A9-A497-E34961C86F55.jpeg

D5B2252A-B59F-4F84-A6F2-CE120B4259C2.jpeg

E17D105E-18D2-4CC8-9385-53F78F31F8E6.jpeg

Note that I do not want to go out to the fender. I want a flush look to the body and be able to tuck under full articulation.

I've got roughly 3 years and 30,000 miles on mine with zero issues.

Jim

I'd say 1" all around but 1.25" will allow hubcentric spacers. I'd also advise removing those fender flares, if the paint underneath isn't already damaged. Over time, they will rub through the paint.

Where are those pics taken if you don't mind? Beautiful truck!

The major negative is incorrect installation can lead to your wheel falling off on the highway. You can find lots of stories about this happening online. If you buy high quality spacers and install correctly the chances of that happening should be reduced almost to 0. Also some claim they put more wear on the wheel bearings, but nothing definitive

Increased articulation in the rear. On 100's running 315/75R16 and larger tires, the tires sometimes rub the UCA's and the inside wheel well in the rear. Spacers give more clearance.

Also something not really talked about too much, installing larger 35" tires affects the steering scrub radius. Installing spacers "corrects" the scrub radius or should say, restores it back to stock.

Upsides- wider track has a more planted feel handling wise on the street; maybe a little less body roll; wider stance looks better to some;

Downsides- wider track pushes wheels further out and on narrow trails- you’ll scrub your nice wheels on rocks lining the edges of two-track; you’ll have to remove spacers to service axles, hubs or wheel bearings and they can be a mf to remove especially trailside; the added offest has been said to increase spindle and wheel bearing wear;

Running spidertrax (slee) for more than 20k miles.

Only negative point, spacers messes up the full turn (IMHO). You will hear tires screaming on a full turn on hard surfaces. Yes no big deal, bit of hard time for steering components.

Not yet happened to me, but couple of things to keep in mind;
  1. Check all 5 bolts on spacers time to time, at least 10k miles(?)
  2. Carry a socket and wrench for spacer bolts with you all the time, important more or less as jack and wheel brush

Downsides- wider track pushes wheels further out and on narrow trails
I always figured that as an advantage. Wheels are sacrificial. Body work is expensive.

Downside (I had 1.25" spidertrax) is you'll be stuck with ~11 inch tire, or you'll stick out more than you want. I have 285/65/18 and was just outside of flush. I ended up taking them off. I want a slightly wider tire eventually, and it would rub the fender at full compression for sure. I actually prefer the driving characteristics without them, as well.

Another downside is when you have to do brake rotor replacement, you'll have to take them off (huge PITA cause they need to be thread locked on). Overall, you can get very close to the flush look you want with a slightly wider tire (I'm going 305/65/18 next). Also, you can take the fender flares off to make it look even more flush.

Downside (I had 1.25" spidertrax) is you'll be stuck with ~11 inch tire, or you'll stick out more than you want. I have 285/65/18 and was just outside of flush. I ended up taking them off. I want a slightly wider tire eventually, and it would rub the fender at full compression for sure. I actually prefer the driving characteristics without them, as well.

Another downside is when you have to do brake rotor replacement, you'll have to take them off (huge PITA cause they need to be thread locked on). Overall, you can get very close to the flush look you want with a slightly wider tire (I'm going 305/65/18 next). Also, you can take the fender flares off to make it look even more flush.

Stop teasing us already! J/k Looking forward to seeing those 305s. Are you going to run them on the Tundra wheels?

You could also get some wheels with a wider offset.

Here are some drone SCS that a lot of people use.

I am running icon 17” with 0 offset 285/75 and I rub at full lock and a bit of front compression. Rears rub with a heavy load and an even bump. But if it’s articulating, they fit inside the fender.

Good thread explains offset issues and
wheels:

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom