Spacers, Opinions needed... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm on the side of don't lift it and don't put spacers on it, leave it alone...
But I do like the wider stance, just asking for opinions. Any bad issues with spacers?
2000 100 Series
Thanks in advance!

I have 1.5” Amazon spacers. They have probably 20k miles on them and lots of offroad time, and no issues. I like the look, but was mostly driven to them because I wanted to have the sidewalls wider than the fenders to protect the body when offroad. With 33” tires and a bit of lift I only get light rubbing on the plastic liner when turned to the max, and that’s only with new tires - my worn tires didn’t rub.

I have 1.5” Amazon spacers. They have probably 20k miles on them and lots of offroad time, and no issues. I like the look, but was mostly driven to them because I wanted to have the sidewalls wider than the fenders to protect the body when offroad. With 33” tires and a bit of lift I only get light rubbing on the plastic liner when turned to the max, and that’s only with new tires - my worn tires didn’t rub.
Thanks my man! I appreciate the info. I'm keeping stock tires and rims.

I run 1” spacers. No issues. I’d limit them to 1.25” but that’s just my opinion. I have Bora and no issues.
I think 1.25” are probably the best, but then you have to pay Bora prices for them. 😉

I think 1.25” are probably the best, but then you have to pay Bora prices for them. 😉
I agree. They only attach your wheel to the vehicle. I’d go as cheap as possible. Maybe even 3D print some at home! JK!

Tire size helps dictate offset - or at least it should.

More offset you run, the less tire diameter you can fit since you're increasing the turning arc.

Ideally, any increased poke would be achieved with wheel offset. If you can't do that for some reason, spacers can be fine. Take it seriously and install them properly if you go that route.

Be aware of improperly tighten, over or under, by tire shops or mechanics. That can cause serious failures. Also, tire shops can reject work on it bcos of spacers. Which has happened to me.

I'm running 1.25 spidertrax (slee) spacers over 25k on and off road miles.

I run RockWarrior wheels, 285/70/17 KO2s, and a 3/4" spacer up front (and no spacer in back), it's a great look due to the non-stock offset of the RW wheels (and can still reach max articulation without rubbing).

For use on public roads, I *highly* recommend using a quality US-made spacer in the interest of safety, correctly torqued by hand and inspected at least annually.

Thanks my man! I appreciate the info. I'm keeping stock tires and rims.
If your staying stock, don't use spacers. Only add them if it serves a purpose and solves a problem IE: Shoving larger tires in there

I've been running spacers (spidertrax) for a while on my 3rd gen 4runner. No isues, just have blue thread lock and check the torque after first 50-100 miles driven. If you go because of the look, I'd say avoid spaces as LC is already wide enough and tough looking.

Was actually thinking about 33" tires without a lift. Thinking spacers would help with that.
I'm not sure , will have to do some searching around the forums.....I don't know if it's necessary to accommodate that size tire.

>> I like your first thought "I'm on the side of don't lift it and don't put spacers on it, leave it alone..."

These rigs are very capable and I try to talk people down from over building them. They are luxury touring vehicles with some awesome 4x4 capabilities. I base that on my stock tire size rig which has taken me everywhere. If you're rock crawling or really doing some hard off roading then I totally get the need to build it up and add armor and bigger tires.

A good attitude to have is, don't do it unless it solves a problem. Do you do some pretty hard off roading, do you think the bigger tires will solve a problem?

I have 1.25 Bora spacers on my 2000 LC. They have over 50k on them and I’ve never had a tire shop decline a rotate/balance or install on my vehicle.

I have gone off road plenty of times and no issue. I actually feel a little more stable (probably all in my head) with the wider stance. It is also my DD and I have 33in BFGs with no problems. Tires rub the plastic liner(?) at full lock but as someone mentioned, only when they were new. They’re worn now so I don’t hear it or notice it anymore.

I did it for looks primarily. I love the wider stance and look. If they would have caused an issue I would have taken them off but I put them on 3 years ago and all is well.

Was actually thinking about 33" tires without a lift. Thinking spacers would help with that.
No need for spacers with those tires, but as folks have said there are reasons you might want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom