Sources for AHC Accumulator Globes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The globes are basically the pressure vessel for the shock absorber and supplemental springs functions of your hydraulic suspension. Unless I am missing something, replacing globes should not affect your static pressures (the 'spring' portion of the above) but rather improve the damping portion of the equation with a fully intact and pressurized diaphragm. If you want to adjust down the pressures, Tbars need to take up more of the weight (up front) and springs/shims for the rear.

If AHC pressure is high, rear springs are original and no torsion bar adjustment has been done, but ride feels fine, and AHC fluid flushed every a few years, would that keep the AHC system run for a long time trouble free? Or will the high pressure along cause rupture of parts in the AHC system?

High pressure means more of the weight than intended is being supported by the hydraulic portion of the suspension. How much that reduces lifespan is anyone's guess. And, I am sure the answer depends on a lot more environmental and use factors than just static pressure.

Prevention vs cure valuation is your call, but we aren't talking big bucks. $20 for a dongle, $10 for a 30mm socket and maybe a bit more for some spring spacers?

The globes are basically the pressure vessel for the shock absorber and supplemental springs functions of your hydraulic suspension. Unless I am missing something, replacing globes should not affect your static pressures (the 'spring' portion of the above) but rather improve the damping portion of the equation with a fully intact and pressurized diaphragm.
I was thinking the same thing as well. One day I'll get the 80 rear springs put in. Hopefully that doesn't reduce the pressure too much. Has this happend to anyone? I saw on some threads that the ride in the rear got too bouncy with non-AHC spring (even used ones).

BTW, for those that may be shopping for new, OEM globes, I got mine on eBay from a seller in Japan for $970 total. They didn't have a manufactured date sticker like the globes that came with the LX, but the seller said, "It is the latest part because it is procured from Toyota Motor Corporation each time."

I was thinking the same thing as well. One day I'll get the 80 rear springs put in. Hopefully that doesn't reduce the pressure too much. Has this happend to anyone? I saw on some threads that the ride in the rear got too bouncy with non-AHC spring (even used ones).

BTW, for those that may be shopping for new, OEM globes, I got mine on eBay from a seller in Japan for $970 total. They didn't have a manufactured date sticker like the globes that came with the LX, but the seller said, "It is the latest part because it is procured from Toyota Motor Corporation each time."

I would add a 30mm spring spacer instead of using a non-AHC compliant spring. Unless you are carrying super heavy loads back there

On your LX470, right? Thanks for the info... 👍

Yes, my 2007 LX470 with 200K miles was reading 7.9mpa in the rear, using that same 30mm coil spring spacer i linked you brought the neutral pressure down to 6.8

Yes, my 2007 LX470 with 200K miles was reading 7.9mpa in the rear, using that same 30mm coil spring spacer i linked you brought the neutral pressure down to 6.8
Forgot to ask, this is done with the stock spring, right? Going to take this option instead of new spring I think. Thanks for sharing...

Yeah i put that on my stock springs, if you don't carry anything super heavy, adding these shims will bring it back to spec and you'll be okay.

Just ordered 4 new OEM globes from Japan on eBay. $924 delivered took 12 days.

Attempting to diagnose a “lumpy” or “wobble” in my ride. When driving, especially lower speeds it feels like an uneven rotational bounce.

How would I know the difference between a failing shock and a bad globe?

Attempting to diagnose a “lumpy” or “wobble” in my ride. When driving, especially lower speeds it feels like an uneven rotational bounce.

How would I know the difference between a failing shock and a bad globe?
In short:

A failing AHC shock generally leaks - a lot. It's normal to weep slightly, but not normal to drip fluid.
A bad globe feels like you have no shock absorber, because the globe *is* the shock absorber in AHC. The "shock" contains no way to absorb any roughness without the nitrogen in the globe. Bad globe = no functional shock.

What you describe sounds more like a bad tire than an AHC problem. Is this lumpiness consistent? You may also want to make a separate thread or tack this question onto one of the existing threads that's more geared towards AHC diagnosis. You'll probably get good input either way, but those other threads might have some good answers already posted. :)

The conditions I just recently had in my ‘04 LX were 4-5 graduations, quicker and and a bit jerky raising and lowering vehicle and an obvious bouncy ride. No leaking shocks. I replaced the four globes and now the ride is grass fed buttery smooth.
Hi @BullElk, seems that you have run the Pleiades globes for quite a long period. How is it holding?

The first ones I bought were in Nov. 2018. They are working great like the day I bought them. Others I have had since June 2020. All good.

The first ones I bought were in Nov. 2018. They are working great like the day I bought them. Others I have had since June 2020. All good.
Great to know. Debating between Lexus globes or save $200 on Pleiades one. Thanks!

If you buy via impex, aren't the oem ones cheaper?
What is impex? Any detail? The Pleiades one now costs about $700 shipped. The OEM from Japan on eBay costs $900 shipped, plus possible custom duty.

What is impex? Any detail? The Pleiades one now costs about $700 shipped. The OEM from Japan on eBay costs $900 shipped, plus possible custom duty.
I thought it was discussed in this thread, but it must be a similarly titled thread. Many folks have ordered through them and all appears "legit".

Impex is an importer of auto parts. Pricing is very good - similar to what I expect is Japanese wholesale pricing. Shipping is reasonable. A full set of gas chambers/accumulator/globes is around $750 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom