SOR Seat Cushions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Staton

SILVER Star
Threads
So this weekends project was my new SOR seat cushions. Truck is an 83 and I have had it less than a year. Always felt like I was going to slide out of the seat when I turned with any speed. Seat was comfy and all but just offered no support. I ordered the seat cushions from SOR and big difference in support. It may take me a while to get used to the change but here is what I noticed.
1. I sit up several inches higher. I mean, my head is a lot closer to the ceiling.
2. support when turning is night and day. I am held in place. I feel like that commercial where the guy puts his chair at the highest setting at the conference table.
3. a lot firmer....a lot.

As far as the pics below you can see how PO tried to build up the drivers side with some additional foam. The project was relatively easy. I would not start this project without ordering some hog ring pliers. I bought the Watercarbon red handled ones with 100 staples. Made the job very easy. I would also get two lengths of para cord about 15 inches long. String it through the piece of fabric that is attached to the bottom of the seat in the middle of the seat. I do not think I could of attached those two staples if I had not done this. Also probably necessary to have two people when attaching the cover back. One to hold the fabric tight and one to staple. Make sure you put the staples in where the sharp ends are under and not facing out so you don't cut yourself when you rummage around under your seat.

Hoping this well save my seat from the all too common ripped up drivers seat from getting in and out. It is noticeably tighter.
seat2.jpg
seat 1.jpg
seat3.jpg
seat4.jpg
seat5.jpg

Next up....passenger seat, new carpet and eventually a tranny rebuild or H55.

Great write up! PO did the same for my truck. You nailed it ... Sits REALLY high and is VERY firm. This is another reason I am considering BMW seats.

Did you use the SOR aftermarket or is that OEM foam?
I ordered the pair from www.sor.com Just did the passenger. They will take some getting used to but for me it was a must for the drivers side especially.

I did mine and liked them lot, yours look great! Now I have the BMW seats in mine both are great. I have E36 seats looking for a good set of E46 now.
Hard to find in manual in good condition.

I did mine and liked them lot, yours look great! Now I have the BMW seats in mine both are great. I have E36 seats looking for a good set of E46 now.
Hard to find in manual in good condition.

Do you feel like the BMW seats sit lower or higher than the stock seats with SOR foam?

Slightly lower, but going from the stock wore out cushions to the SOR is like a whole new experience! Its like your in a semi truck!

I would image if I was still in the SOR's they would have broken in a little more but I didn't give them the chance.

Slightly lower, but going from the stock wore out cushions to the SOR is like a whole new experience! Its like your in a semi truck!

I would image if I was still in the SOR's they would have broken in a little more but I didn't give them the chance.

Completely agree. I have the SOR on drivers side and it's HIGH! Feel like the BMW would be a better ride height and much more back support.

both my rigs have one rebuilt passenger side foam, and one SOR foam I scored a while back used with low hours, for half price... OMG there is no comparison to the rebuilt. None. Nada. Zip. Worth asking their price, IMO, and I am the cheapest, brokest, most MacGyver summbich you could meet...and while I have not been prompted by SOR to offer such observations, I never turn away a TIP in the form of parts, hint hint...@SOR...hint hint...

awe, shoot, that should read..." their asking...", not..."asking their..."...

John Staton did you also replace/update the backs of the seat as well?
Nah, I have not seen a replacement cushion for the backseat. I will probably never sit back there:) I think having a nice soft comfy seat in the back would be better than a stiffer seat anyway.

both my rigs have one rebuilt passenger side foam, and one SOR foam I scored a while back used with low hours, for half price... OMG there is no comparison to the rebuilt. None. Nada. Zip. Worth asking their price, IMO, and I am the cheapest, brokest, most MacGyver summbich you could meet...and while I have not been prompted by SOR to offer such observations, I never turn away a TIP in the form of parts, hint hint...@SOR...hint hint...

Yeah, so they are kind of pricey and I am not cheap at all....but I do think they are worth the extra $$. Especially after I got my new suspension and really needed the support.

Nah, I have not seen a replacement cushion for the backseat. I will probably never sit back there:) I think having a nice soft comfy seat in the back would be better than a stiffer seat anyway.
Sorry I was talking about the uppers on the front seats that you put your back against. :)

Sorry I was talking about the uppers on the front seats that you put your back against. :)

My wife asked about that when i took her for a ride. Haven't seen an option for that, but mine feel good the way they are. She is 4'11" so appreciates the new height, but even she was shocked at how much higher you sit. Thinking they will settle in some....of course I thought that about my new old man emu suspension too....

all things get fixed in time...

Yes, a much higher seating position. My truck used to have more headroom than any other vehicle I've experienced, now it's just enough.

Only problem with this I see is that the headrests can't be adjusted high enough now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom