something new to fight rust (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
Here's one that will help us out, it's from Eastwood, which means that KMS can bring it in if you don't want to order directly from them. Looks like they found a solutions for frame rust:

Attachments

• frame rust.pdf
    66.9 KB · Views: 221
Interesting stuff. But why do they call it a rust converter? What does the rust convert to? My guess is one should really be using a respirator when spraying that stuff!!!

You never know, Eastwood has a 4 step product line for frames that is completely water soluble, you don't need to wear gloves as it's not acid based. In fact, part of the process is using a clean water rinse.

Hmmm, I like this idea. I think I'll be buying me a few cans of that stuff.

Thanks Mat.

You never know, Eastwood has a 4 step product line for frames that is completely water soluble, you don't need to wear gloves as it's not acid based. In fact, part of the process is using a clean water rinse.

Better to be safe then dead I always say. They use the word chemical a lot on their website......

Anyway, it sure does look like a good idea and when I do the frame swap, I'll definatly be using this stuff for the new frame.

That looks very interesting. It will help, but it will not eliminate the requirement to washout the frame rails once in a while and get that damp sand/mud/dirt outta there.

I'll stick with my bi-yearly application of waxy oils, and fluid film right now as all the vehicles I have have been treated a few times. But if I ever get down to a fresh frame again I just might give something like that a go. That said, I am always leery now of something that might trap the rust inside, and have it get worse without you knowing till it's too late. That's where the penetrating oils with a wax layer over top are best I think.

gb

What products do you use Greg

That looks very interesting. It will help, but it will not eliminate the requirement to washout the frame rails once in a while and get that damp sand/mud/dirt outta there.

I'll stick with my bi-yearly application of waxy oils, and fluid film right now as all the vehicles I have have been treated a few times. But if I ever get down to a fresh frame again I just might give something like that a go. That said, I am always leery now of something that might trap the rust inside, and have it get worse without you knowing till it's too late. That's where the penetrating oils with a wax layer over top are best I think.

gb

DO you do this penetrating oil and wax layer thing inside your rockers, fenders and doors as well? Also, X2 on what kind of penetrating oil and wax oil.

What products do you use Greg

As a thin and creeping oil: Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor and http://www.rustcheck.com/products.asp

As a thin wax based creeping: Boeshield I've used the last of this in the witches brew, and will likely not get another gallon. It's nice stuff though, but the above and below are the choice.

As a top coat: 3M Rust Fighter-I - 3M Automotive Coatings, or Welcome to Pro Form Products amber being preferred.

I've been known to make a witch's brew of any or all of the above, and spray that into the frame rails with the applicator I have, hidden body mount cavities, areas where Iv'e drilled holes to get access to cavities, etc.

On the underside (I will do this with the FZJ80 when I get to the diesel swap, drop fuel tank, stage) is a spray with fluid film or red rust check, let it creep a few days, then topcoat with Proform wax based.

There's a number of good threads in the diesel/24V section which have lots of information on different products out there, from the aviation to marine industries.

hth's

gb

Greg's results speak for themselves too - his 74 seems to have no more rust on it then it did 5 years ago, and Petra's 61 is still really clean... both driven through several of our winters.

Greg's results speak for themselves too - his 74 seems to have no more rust on it then it did 5 years ago, and Petra's 61 is still really clean... both driven through several of our winters.

The BJ74 has been parked a few times, but Petra's truck has been daily driven since she got it July 2005. And while its been in the Lower Mainland the entire time, they love the liquid salt here. And there have been a few bad winters. After the initial big go through and treat, I give it a visual once over every year hitting spots that are high rust prone, or collect road grime. And I try to remember to hit the rear wheel well lips and rockers with fluid film a few times through the winter months. Every couple years or so I give the inside and outside of the frame another coating. Can't hold it all back, but it is doing very very well imo.

gb

Last edited:
X2 on everything Greg said. And the nice thing about fluid film is that it's non toxic (it's lanolin based) I use it for the inside of the doors and quarter panels cause whatever you use will offgas inside the truck on a hot day. Chainsaw bar oil, while effective, gave off some serious fumes. The fluid film smells, but it's a fairly non offensive sweetish smell.
The least stinky stuff seems to be the Krown treating. I wish you could buy their patented witches brew off the shelf....

As a thin and creeping oil: Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor and Rust Check brand name, protect vehicles appearance, proofing companies, manufactures rust preventatives, manufacturer of coatings, manufacturer of rust paints, manufacturer of lubricants and auto repair industry

As a thin wax based creeping: Boeshield I've used the last of this in the witches brew, and will likely not get another gallon. It's nice stuff though, but the above and below are the choice.

As a top coat: 3M Rust Fighter-I - 3M Automotive Coatings, or Welcome to Pro Form Products amber being preferred.

I've been known to make a witch's brew of any or all of the above, and spray that into the frame rails with the applicator I have, hidden body mount cavities, areas where Iv'e drilled holes to get access to cavities, etc.

On the underside (I will do this with the FZJ80 when I get to the diesel swap, drop fuel tank, stage) is a spray with fluid film or red rust check, let it creep a few days, then topcoat with Proform wax based.

There's a number of good threads in the diesel/24V section which have lots of information on different products out there, from the aviation to marine industries.

hth's

gb

So you can paint over this fuild film?

no painting over fluid film. it's oily.

I used LPS 3 on my wifes 80. It dried nice and waxy, and has help up very well. Buy it in a gallon and use an air sprayer to apply. Napa has it. Not cheap but a gallon should more than do your truck.

fluid film

Don't worry, it's nothing that a couple of gallons of this juice couldn't repair. :D

I was speaking with my brother in PEI, looking over a couple of custom builds that he is doing, and he said for inside frame, inside fender wells, inside everywhere, fluid film is the way to go.

And Mat, he has and uses an English Wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom