Some "FNG" questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

This looks like a great place to find information on Toyota Land Cruisers. I am a member of the TDR (Turbo Diesel Register / for Dodge PU's with Cummins) and have found that these type of boards are a great information resourse.

This is my first Toyota and being that I live in a town that GM once employed 25,000 people out of about 200,000 total in the county, I doubt that I will find much help around here with DIY type repairs. (Saginaw, MI)

I just bought a one owner 95 with 75,000 on it for my wife and was wondering where a good place to find a owners manual would be. In the interm, I would like to change out the fluids in the diffs, trans, and x-case and was wondering if some one could tell me the capcity and weights of those aforementioned items? Any other items I should check and or replace?

I have a wet floor board on the drivers side so I am going to try to unplug the drains on the sun roof. (found that info here!)

V/R

Breck

:) Welcome! Since I am here I'll respond. Send a PM to cruiserdan, he's the resident parts guru with EXCELLENT service and prices. He can get you ANYTHING you need. In addition to your owners manual, order a factory service manual. It is well worth the 75-100 bucks as it will save you $$$$$. sleeoffroad.com is also an excellent resource for modified parts and technical knowledge as they specialize in 80 series cruisers. They have a newbie guide that is in the tech section that can help get you started.
As far as your capacities, I believe that the 93-97 is a bit different then 91-92 but not much, it's about (not exact and I don't have my manual with me) 3qts for the transfer, and about 3-4 qts for each diff, drain and fill on the tranny can be anywhere from 3-8 qts depending on how long you let it drain or if you drop the pan. LIke I said, these numbers are NOT exact. Someone else will chime in with the exact #'s. Search the archives for posts on fluids and you'll get more info.
HTH.

Breck,
Welcome to the board.... to answer some of your questions about fluid replacement.... the front diff w/o lockers holds 3 qts, w/ lockers 2.8 qts; the rear diff holds 3.4 qts, and the transfer case holds 1.8 qts. It is recommend that these be change every 30k..... it is also recommended that all lubricants and fluids be replaced with synthetics. The choice is yours as to which brand you use, I use Amsoil products myself. It is also recommended the trans have a fluid exchange performed, not a pressure flush. I have a '96 Cruiser with a A343F trans..... it requires 11.6 qts to dry fill and 2-4 qts to drain and refill. The dry fill replaces the fluid in the trans, torque converter and cooler.

When draining the fluid from the diffs..... look close for the presence of metal particles and/or moly-b grease in the oil (moly-b causes a black pearl appearance in the oil). If an axle shaft oil seal is bad, grease will get in the oil and vise versa....... not a good thing and must be attended to quickly.

One last thing.... when asking a question on this board, give as much info as you possibly can about your truck, e.g. how is the truck being used (on-road, off-road, rock crawling, fording streams, etc.) does it have front and rear diff lockers, after market accessories, etc., and the how, what, when and where's of a problem you're experiencing and need help with.

Congrats on you purchase of an 80 series Cruiser...... you'll love it and it will out last anything else you have, with proper maintenance.

Wayne S :cheers:

Breck,

It sounds like you found a cream puff 95 and I'm certain you and your wife will love it.

>> Any other items I should check and or replace? <<

Do a good flush/fill now, and every 12 months, of the cooling system with a quality coolant like Prestone green or Toyota Red. I prefer the Toyota red. If you're in to PM then replace the thermostat and gasket at the same time.

Normally I wouldn't recommend replacing the belts at that mileage but combined with the truck's age you probably should. They're reasonably priced when you get them from C-Dan and you can keep the old belts in the truck for spares.

The only other thing that I can think of right now is to pick up a set of starter contacts (approx $25) as you will be needing them in the year if you normally drive 1k miles/month. These consistently need replacing at that age and before 100k miles. (Yes guys, I *know* they wear based on start cycles but who keeps count ? ? ? )

Welcome to 80's ownership and welcome to the best source of information on these vehicles anywhere in the world! (hmmmm, new slogan for the 80 section? )

-B-

Thank you for all the great info, especially about the contacts. I just did that on the Dodge a few months ago.

As I mentioned before it is a 95 that is "optioned out". You guys will probably get mad at me, but it will be driven as a daily driver for my wife to and from work. It will probably never do any serious off roading. We picked it up for $9200 and thought it would be a nice safe vehicle for her to drive in Michigan for that kind of price. Originally we were looking for a Volvo XC, but she liked this better. (So do I :D)

It still has the original tires on it and I am going to be replacing them with Michilens again; They seem like a nice street tire.

Thanks again,

Breck

P.S. Anyone on here from MI? We live in the Saginaw Valley.

Don't worry about our fetishes, it is a great trail truck and a great soccer mom rig as well. just think maybe you can pioneer the td6 plant swap in the fzj series once she gets tired of it.
Dave

Diffs with 80w90 weight? or 80-140

T-case the same or ATF of 10w30?

Engine oil capacity w/filter? 10w30

Thanks

V/R

Breck

Diffs: 80-90

Transfer: 75-90

Engine oil 7.5 qts +/- with small filter (+90915-20004, 90915-YZZB5, 90915-YZZD3) 8.0 qts +/- with large filter (15600-41010)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom