Some 35s and a BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
315 75 R16 Cooper Discoverer STTs with Pro-Comp 98 series 16x8 They have a 3ply sidewall carcass,. These tires work WELL! Much quieter than the old Yokos. At full articulation the tires tuck inside the wells no rubbing no scrubbing.
Cruiser-Scooter Jan 2010 020.jpg
Cruiser-Scooter Jan 2010 021.jpg
Cruiser-Scooter Jan 2010 024.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Have you flexed out the front yet? Do they rub?
What's the backspacing on those rims?

I think that's my next tire size...

Looks alot like my rig before i had a body lift, are you sure it doesnt rub? I put a 2inch BL in and it still rubbed, 15mm off the guards and it still rubs only at the most extreme circumstances

Its a nice looking rig though mate.

It does look low doesnt it. I have excactly an inch, like 1 for the sprinkler system in the underground parking lot.
There was some rubbing. To make this job work a bit of work had to be done. 6mm spacers, Ya I dont like them ....... I need them. Some longer ARP studs and that all folks.
Most of you know already to put on 35s the front axle has to be moved 1"
The rub I was getting was from the raised white lettering on leaf spring at full lock on the steering so the stopper bolts were turned out a few more turns. It works and (I need a photo) the tires tuck inside the fender wells so I am happy there. Now when the front compresses I get a clank , I think it is the front driveshaft hitting the skid plate. The HZJ 73s have a notch for the front driveshaft whereass these BJs dont. As for the backspacing it is 0 or very close.
I have always been meaning to show my Aaron's spring LOL It is just a screen door spring. It really helps off roading, I dont get that bouncing on the gas pedal anymore. Much more driveable now especially in the rough.
As for the question about the gears. I still do hear them, It is more of a healthy whine than a sick whine (if that is possible) . To me the bennefit of the gearing out weighs the whine. It may be too much for some. The 1.08 to 1 Hi does help with the 35s
Cruiser-Scooter Jan 2010 042.jpg
Cruiser-Scooter Jan 2010 044.jpg
Cruiser-Scooter Jan 2010 027.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great mate, can we have some more info and pictures of the rear bar. And i will definitely be installing a "screen door spring" on mine also.

OK here are some more shots
The offset is negative 6mm and the backspacing is 4.25 inches
Cruiser Jan 2010 003.jpg
Cruiser Jan 2010 004.jpg
Cruiser Jan 2010 008.jpg

And a few more of the front driveshaft , you can see the lines in the paint where the shaft nailed the skidplate crossmember
Cruiser Jan 2010 019.jpg
Cruiser Jan 2010 025.jpg
Cruiser Jan 2010 026.jpg

Now one of the problem I have with a shackle reversal is that the front running gear moves towards the center of the vehicle while compressing causing havoc on the front output of the transfercase.
With the shackles on the front during compression the front axle moves forward causing the front driveshaft to droop and catch the crossmember. (Not for long)!
My appologies for the double shot of the front driveshaft in the last set of photos
Cruiser Jan 2010 031.jpg

Thank-you! The vehicle worked well with the Yokohama 285/75-16s . I am not a big fan of Big tires dues to the extra forces it creates on suspension and especially steering gear but I was getting annoyed at dragging the diffs and skid-plates over boulders.
If I could have Portal Axles I would keep the 285s (32.8") For parts longetivity.

As for the clunk , when the suspension compresses , well it is delt with. The crossmember skidplate was lowered around 1/2" using some washers for spacers. I didn't even move the driveshaft around yet. Works fine.

315 75 R16 Cooper Discoverer STTs with Pro-Comp 98 series 16x8 They have a 3ply sidewall carcass,. These tires work WELL! Much quieter than the old Yokos. At full articulation the tires tuck inside the wells no rubbing no scrubbing.

Hi Aaron - are you using 3/4" front spacers for those 4.25" back spacing wheels to clear?

Hi Glenn, I am using 6mm front spacers and as for the rear I have the same 3/4" adapters

What was the clunk under compression? Mine does it do and comes up through the drivers footwell.

Flipping my drive shaft cured any rubbing issues I had.

The clunk is from the front driveshaft hitting the front crossmember /skidplate. Since the spacers or washers have been added to move the crossmember/skidplate downward of around 1/2" , I have had only one bang since then HUGE FRIGGIN POTHOLE. I think I will flip the front driveshaft around. Thanks Hulsty

Hi Glenn, I am using 6mm front spacers and as for the rear I have the same 3/4" adapters

Just to confirm - You are running wheels with 4.25" back spacing and only a 6mm front spacer to clear the calipers? Doesn't seem possible, since the 15" rim needs 3.5" back spacing to clear and as far as I can tell a 16" rim would need 3.625" back spacing to clear.

You must have bigger spacers up front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom