Solo 11,000 Mile USA Road Trip in an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I recently undertook quite the trip in my 1994 Land Cruiser. I left NY in early May and traveled around the US for a total of 6 weeks, alone. The trip totaled 11,000 miles in the end. I went all the way out to California by way of Washington DC, St. Louis and Denver and then turning north to Oregon and back through Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

I mostly went to national parks, the total was 21 altogether. The 80 ran wonderfully throughout nearly the entire trip. The only issue I had was a failed fuel pump relay at the Grand Canyon, otherwise the truck ran flawlessly across the plains, hills and mountains. When I was on my way back from Monument Valley the truck would not start again if it was hot, I noticed this when I was getting gas. After some time it would start back up and run fine. I ended up having to drive from the Grand Canyon to Flagstaff, AZ where the issue was solved, but I could not get the part in a reasonable amount of time so I continued on to Los Angeles. I literally had to hit the fuel pump relay with a rock and the truck would start right up.

On the way to Los Angeles I thought the truck would really give out. As a note, I don't have AC in the truck as I never replaced the condenser. There was a 50 mile head wind the entire way from Flagstaff to Los Angeles, and that coupled with the high altitude, the insane elevation changes in the Mojave Desert and the 120 degree heat the truck was put through her paces. But the temperature gauge didn't move once throughout the entire trip.

I did some minor offroading here and there, I slept in national forests which are accessed by basic 4x4 trails, and I had some fun in Utah on some easy trails, but in the end I didn't want to push the truck as I was alone. For the record I have 35'' tires and a 2.5'' lift.

Just wanted to give a quick run down of the trip for anyone who is maybe considering doing something similar. If I were to make a few suggestions it would be to make sure you have working AC and definitely check out camping in the National Forests. I got 13.3mpg with a broken EGR valve, and spent a total of ~$2,500 on gas alone. Total trip cost was $4,500 for 6 weeks, and I ate at a restaurant almost every night.

The truck now has 205,000 miles on her. My family has owned the truck since 1996. Got one oil change in LA and that was it. These are amazing vehicles that are incredibly capable and extremely well engineered, as you all know. I'm beyond grateful that I own one!

Here are the shots of the truck when I remembered to take them:

Capitol Reef, UT

UEfyNEI.jpg

San Francisco, CA

fnabXY9.jpg

Crescent City, CA

Ylnhld1.jpg

Bugs!

D8LZAFV.jpg

And here is a full album of the pictures I took for anyone interested:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Hope you all enjoyed the read! Next trip will hopefully be Iceland, if anyone knows a car shipping service please let me know.

Wait, 120 degrees and no AC????? You are super human.

I actually legitimately thought that if I broke down in the Mojave I would die. It was pure torture.

This is awesome!

I would've made the trip 5 weeks and 6 days and eaten PBJ for a few days in order to replace my AC condenser.

You are cray!

I actually legitimately thought that if I broke down in the Mojave I would die. It was pure torture.

I'm surprised that you didn't die while driving through Mojave with no AC! Glad you had a great trip but.......Dat Chit Cray!

Epic trip, nice pictures. To bad you missed some of the best country in our great nation. Glacier National Park, Montana. North Cascades, In Washington. Olympic National Park, Washington. Rainier National Park, Washington. Guess that way you have some places to see on your next trip out this side of our country!

Epic trip, nice pictures. To bad you missed some of the best country in our great nation. Glacier National Park, Montana. North Cascades, In Washington. Olympic National Park, Washington. Rainier National Park, Washington. Guess that way you have some places to see on your next trip out this side of our country!

Hah, I was there last summer. I did a trip involving Seattle, Portland, Olympic and Mount Rainier. Awesome terrain.

I was originally going to go to Glacier this year but it was still completely snowed in the beginning of June. I'll check it out some other time, preferably when there is less snow!

Sweet journey! Did you go through Cody at all?

I'm heading out on a trip that will be well over 3,000 miles in September. It's funny you had a problematic fp relay because I was kicking around the idea of replacing mine before I leave even though I have two of every relay on the truck already.

We are hitting Yellowstone, Moab, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, and Mojave national preserve all in three weeks. My plan is to drive on as much dirt as I can at the places I'm going to.

Your trip sounds epic, I hope mine goes as well as yours did.

Impressive trip! I just bought back my '95 FZJ (wrecked from a buddy) and replaced the receiver/dryer and a hard line, and evacuated and charged up the A/C. Icy bliss on hot days.

Wait, 120 degrees and no AC????? You are super human.
That's not super human, that's just an everyday occurrence in Phoenix Arizona during the summer.

Sweet journey! Did you go through Cody at all?

I did indeed visit Cody, nice town and nice people! Wish I could've stayed longer than just lunch though.

I'm heading out on a trip that will be well over 3,000 miles in September. It's funny you had a problematic fp relay because I was kicking around the idea of replacing mine before I leave even though I have two of every relay on the truck already.

We are hitting Yellowstone, Moab, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, and Mojave national preserve all in three weeks. My plan is to drive on as much dirt as I can at the places I'm going to.

Your trip sounds epic, I hope mine goes as well as yours did.

I'd definitely recommend doing all the national parks in Utah if possible, they are all within 2 hours of each other and they are incredible. People skip Capitol Reef but it's absolutely incredible there, and there are some cool offroad trails you can check out as well. Arches has some cool trails too.

Also don't skip Grand Teton National Park! I thought it was better than Yellowstone by a mile.

Impressive trip! I just bought back my '95 FZJ (wrecked from a buddy) and replaced the receiver/dryer and a hard line, and evacuated and charged up the A/C. Icy bliss on hot days.

How difficult would you say it was to do that? I probably need the entire system replaced at this point because the pipe connecting to the condenser has been open to the air for quite a while.

Great gallery, thanks for sharing :)

I think I saw your rig while I was delivering mail lol. Nice pictures, next time you're in Cody, we will grab a beer.

Great adventure......I'm jealous. The pictures were outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom